Raise Research Skill Cheaply?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by OldRodKS, Jun 7, 2021.

1. OldRodKS Elder

What's the cheapest way to raise your research skill on a TLP (specifically, Thornblade, in my case)?

The various inks and quills, etc. can end up costing a fortune just to make one spell attempt, and at level 16, when spells need to start being researched, money is tight
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

I have done this on past TLPS and I have a single piece of advice for anyone looking to get into research: Don't do it. There is absolutely no way research is worth the cost and effort. No way. Just buy the spells as you need them. Go to TLP Auctions and make note of the people selling spells. Send them a tell.

The exception to this is the folks who do research early and make money doing it. Everyone else should just buy from them.
    Appren likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Research is all but useless until the server is in RoF / L100+ expansions in my opinion.
    Very expensive or intensive farming required even then.
  4. Zipe The Healer

You guys forgot the best tip! But I guess it'll be irrelevant for the OP since this only applies to TLP's on +TSS.
    Binding powders, save them. It is the kinda TS item that you'll regret selling it to the vendor once you realize the only purpose of this item is to skill up Research once you decide to level Research on the late eras for Quest purposes.
    Fallfyres and Skuz like this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

Yours is the second best tip. The best tip is not to start.
  6. Daidraco New Member

Crystaline and Saltpeter will carry you into the low 100's. Cyclops in OOT for Crystaline, and Lavastorm Goblins for saltpeter for the easiest solo farmable content. Most of your classic spells (not your 49's) are trivial at that point. As soon as you start using fire emeralds and such, the cost sky rockets. If you're just doing it to make your own spells, its just not worth it. But if you're determined, farm as many of the mats as you can to offset the pricing. Cyclops drop Fire Emeralds maybe 1 in 20, I want to say? But if you just farm hate, you can pretty much write your own ticket then.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I had totally forgotten about Research, haven't played a robe class in early era's ever. With my Mage and Wizard I see spells on the vendors, but that must not be all of them. For those of you that have done this dance before, what am I looking at? Are there major spells for these classes I can only get from research? Pets? Important nukes?

Just looking for a quick rundown of what to expect.
  8. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

As other have said, it really isn't worth it. Aside from a few class-specific, in-era, spells maybe... all other spells were hit by the hammer. There's literally no profit to be made in early TLP's and viability doesn't even come into play until later on (still not enough to turn a profit after reaching skill).

That being said, hold onto the stuff. When PoR comes, get the trophy quest going. Start skilling up here and there. You'll have loads of time to skill up as you gather materials. There's still no need to rush it. Down the road, there will be a few enchant metal types out there that people may/will want, but the market will be very small. In the end (supposing you're in it for the long haul), you'll want to push the 300-350 envelope for the Artisan's Prize in TBM.

Because of the heavy-handed nerfing of spell research (also the reason being completely made moot by adding AoC's) spell research is the most useless trade skill with the highest cost. I'm sure it gets brought up time and again... but DPG just doesn't want to fix their "solution" to a few people complaining about players crafting "raid spells" in a whole whopping 2-3 expansions.
    Fallfyres and Skuz like this.
  9. OldRodKS Elder

Thanks for all the advice. My caster characters are just getting into the range where I'll be needing those spells... so I need to figure out whether I want to grind up the plat to pay for them, or try and research them myself.
  10. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Before the nerf, I'd say it was a thing. After the nerf.. well.. It's my experience//opinion that it just isn't worth it. Most of the spells you're talking about will simply be replaced in the amount of time it takes to farm the materials, skill, and plat to make it.

I can only think of a few mage/necro spells that are primarily crafted (mostly pets) as sort of a stop-gap in the mid 30's range. The necro pet being the biggest gap holder, and possibly the first necro pet buff as well. In all honesty though, it's something like a 10 level gap on the necro pet (29-39) for vendor ones and by 35 you can get a vendor version of the pet buff.

Lots of guilds tend to funnel resources to a spell researcher to mass-produce these spells for other guild members. Doing it on your own can be a major pain. It basically all goes out the window with Kunark as well.

I mean, the choice is up to you, but we never really found it to be worthwhile and didn't berate those who didn't try to get them all. It's probably easier and less stressful to just play, save plat, and buy one or two spells here and there if you really are inclined. (really, the necro pet and buff are kinda the only ones I'd feel worth doing if any).
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Most mage water pets after 36 (I think) are research. Couple big wizard nukes. An enchanter mez or two.
    Skuz and Niskin like this.
  12. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

It's the Greater Summon(high 20's)/Conj (high 40's) ones that are crafted. Except Greater summoning Fire and Greater Conj Earth.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

DO take what Zipe said about tradeskill materials on board

In fact for anyone that is even remotely interested in the Coldain Shawl series (1.0 Velious, 2.0 Underfoot & 2.0 RoF), the Artisan's Prize augment and the ToV Earring later on you should save everything tradeskill related.

(double check the no drop tradeskill items to see what recipes they are for as most are quest related and dont give you 350 worthy tradeskill recipes)

Make as many different recipes as you can as you go along in whatever spare time you get - it will save you a boatload of hassles & boredom later on.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  14. Celestian Elder

The biggie is our level 46 charm spell, Allure. The aoe mez is the only mez, at level 16.
    Accipiter likes this.
  15. Thash Zoner

Start with vial of pure water to 54, then oil of vitrol to 102. After that, faded salil's writ pages until 142.

If you're leveling enchanter or multiple int casters, it's worth it, don't listen to naysayers. With 142 skill it's not hard to make spells up to 60. The saltpeter, faded pages, and of course hides will require some searching. Frequent vendors.

A nice useful tool, until luclin, to have in your belt.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  16. OldRodKS Elder

Thanks for that info!

I'm currently leveling a mage, but I also have an enchanter and necro that I plan to play as well. I've already been stocking any hides, etc. that I loot
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Green_Mage Augur

I made 40 krono on spells or so on Agnarr. I wasn't getting free hides, I wasn't doing any box schemes or anything.

But it took a lot of work. A lot of people were out just farming gear when I was making pp off spells. I think I might have got the better end of that on Agnarr, but word has gotten around.

Unless you want to sit in the tunnel many hours for at least a month or so -- you're not gonna make any profit for your time. You can just buy spells at relatively reasonable prices due to all the competition. Need spells for 3 different characters? Still more efficient to buy them. Not to mention many of you might have a guild spell maker that can make them for very cheap.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Just wanted to add something that I had forgotten. If a spell isn't on your vendor, it still may be sold somewhere else.

Go to EQTraders.com
    Click Recipes
    Click Spell Research
    Find the Spell you are looking for and click it.
    See if it lists any vendors.

I forgot there are Mage Pets in OOT for the teen levels. The Wizard Ports are in Felwithe. Others have mentioned something about Cleric spells not being all in one location.
    Zynt likes this.
  19. Zynt Augur

There's Nec spells in The OT that I do not believe are located elsewhere depending on era
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Druid spells are at various druid rings, chanter metal spells are in neriak.

Thing to remember in the early game only Int caster spells are researchable only and not on vendors, so if any other classes are missing any spells they are looking in the wrong place.