Raiding with a Paladin.

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Linden, May 29, 2015.

1. Linden Augur

Hi guys...I wanted to put this out there in hopes of gaining some more insight on the Raid Paladin.
    Spell line-ups, disc and AA combinations that you use. I am of course, looking to improve my ability and become a better and well rounded offtank/healer. Show me what line-ups your using and explain. I use more then one configuration, but my primary setup is like this.
    1. Brilliant vindication
    2. Wave of Grief
    3. Wave of Sorrow RkIII
    4. Crush of the Darkened SeaRKIII
    5. Protective Proclaimation
    6. Force of the Darkened Sea RKIII
    7. Slpash Of Atonement
    8. Impose for Honor
    9. Burst of Day Spring
    10. Burst of Sunrise
    11.Grief
    12 Sorrow
  2. Seldom Augur

You definitely want to fit Valiant deflection in your primary setup, under all circumstances. Tanking yourself and healing others. I'd fit stance line in there at all times also, can't go without that chunk of HP if tanking relevant things.
  3. Linden Augur

Yeah I do use those both occasionally.
  4. sojero One hit wonder

When I raid on the pally this is my spell setup:

Crush of the Darkened Sea - highest initial agro
    Valiant Deflection - fast recast - good agro + heal
    Crush of Povar - agro
    Brilliant Vindication - twinheal
    Consecration - agro - will switch this one for another heal as needed
    Splash of Atonement - cause splash!
    Preservation of the Iceclad - self buff
    Staunch Stance - self buff
    Protective Proclamation / Stormbound Keeper - keep protective on yourself while tanking or on the MT while he is tanking + hott heal or buff so clerics dont have to stop healing to buff people
    Burst of Dayspring - quick heal for when getting adds on you and need the little bit before healer gets to you, and to help during fight
    Wave of Grief - group heal!
    Grief - big self heal for oh crap - I sometimes switch this our for Aurora or another wave if the event is AE heavy

as a side note, I have the first 5 on a multibind and depending on the situation many of these can change, this is my basic learning an event or on farm mode non heavy heal events setup. If I am not needed other than splash and go dps, it changes a good bit.
  5. Nightops Augur

I put the current level of Burst in slot 1, Grief in slot 2, and the previous lvl of burst in slot 3. The reason for that setup is because I have gotten my 'default' hand resting position sitting with my thumb on the -alt- key with two fingers on the 1 and 3 keys. This allows me to burst heal my target quickly by reducing the reaction time. I only have to target my person via point and click or by clicking on the extended target / group box. The moment they are targeted, I can heal, I dont have to do a secondary mouse movement. Being able to cast via keyboard is vital in saving people during raids. When im playing my A game, I can easily save 5+ people from dying during each event. Im sure most of the best paladins do something similar.

As mentioned, I never go without Staunch Stance, but I add in the preservation line also. These are a must if you plan on tanking trash. Once you know the events and know what to expect, you can self buff with these a few seconds before and give yourself a much better chance to survive. You do not want to try to cast these when your tanking as that time is needed for agro/healing.

Brilliant vindication followed by splash healing is another raiding must. Learn to do this during timed AEs as well as during AE rampages. If a raid has a very large AE DD which takes 75% or more of peoples hps, then try to time this combo before the AE in order to ensure everyone is at 100% of their hps.

Unfortunately, I use stuns for agro because I like to have the ability to agro mobs and not break mezes. There are serveral events which have mobs that can be stunned or mezed, so I sacrifice the extra agro and dps to ensure I dont break mez or I can stun and stop a mobs damage. However for agro, I only use 1 stun, valiant deflection, and I use Impose for Honor along with the AA agro click when needed.

I use steely reinvigoration?. I like the extra heal procs when im tanking. I dont expect it to save me or anyone for that matter, but its fast casting and can add up if you get several paladins in a raid using it to help the MT.

I do keep a wave healing spell up, but it rarely gets used. I use brilliant vind followed by splash if I want to group heal. There is no need to keep 2 group healing spells up along with splash.
  6. Ravengloome Augur

1 Valiant
    2 Protective/Admonish/Light
    3 Burst
    4 Burst
    5 Grief
    6 Group heal/Sorrow: depending on if MT or have healers
    7 Crush (event 4: Swap Crush for Stun)
    8 Crush
    9 Stun (Consecration if not MTing or Tanking stuff that mattered)
    10 Glorious nuke
    11 Convenience swap Slot: Depends heavily on Event, I use this spot for hot swapping spells mid event, I usually start an event with another nuke or HOTT heal depending on what i have in slot 2
    12 Splash

- I stopped using Preservation because its way less healing then Reptile (and our druids would cast it always, I doubt there was ever an event I didnt have atleast 95% uptime on Shining/Reptile)
    - I try to avoid leaving stance up unless I know i am going to tank the boss, (i have a memspellset to load it in an emergency) < My guild had 6 druids and 4 or 5 shaman... If i wanted Growth All i had to do was ask. The difference between Growth and Stance is negligible unless boss tanking.
    - I only use Impose if i am kiting, or tanking a boss and knew Wizards/necros are going to burn at 100%

If i wasn't tanking and doing anything else important: I would spam HOTT heals (Val/Admon/Ostra or Admon/Protec/Val) and nukes to kill time until I had something interesting to do (Tank/Heal/Cure/Kite/Cyber Clerics)

I had abunch of different /memspellset commands, and in a typical raid night of Arx 1 - 5 + one offs cast about 25 - 30 different spells through the course of the night, SO the 12 spells up there isn't quite indicative of what would normally happen during a raid night (including buffs like brells/keeper, I would toss keeper out on just rezzed people until it got overwrote as an example)

I spam rezzed alot too (Gift of Resurrection and Staff of Forbidden rites)
  7. p2aa Augur

To the OP, is that your tanking set ?
    Crush of the Darkened Sea and Force of the Darkened Sea are on the same timer, so use one of them only.
    Also, in your set, you don't have enough aggro spell, if your main job is to tank stuff, you may loose aggro to dps fastly.
    I think you need to have in your spell set 4 spells devoted to aggro, Crush of the Darkened Sea or Force of the Darkened Sea, Crush of Povar, Valiant Deflection, Ardent Force are the best ones imo.
    Also use your AA Force of Disruption as soon as it's back up.
    For example a good set would be : Tag with Crush of Povar (as longest reuse anyway, then click Force of Disruption, then Crush of the Darkened Sea or Force of the Darkened Sea, then Valiant Deflection, then Ardent Force for example. Use back Force of Disruption as soon as it's back up, Repeat the set.
    I know that paladin isn't an "aggro machine" button and that they have more utility stuff than warriors, but to hold aggro very well against dps you need this.
    I haven even some paladins in my guild that add Impose for Honor in the aggro list above, so 5 spells for aggro, but i think 4 shall be yet enough for most of tanking situation.
    If your job is to be heal / utility support of warriors in a MT group, then of course you will swap your aggro spells by some other heal / utility spell.
  8. Linden Augur

My spell line-up will change depending on my role and the raid target. My constants are..
    1. Brilliant Vindication
    2. wave of grief
    3 Crush of darkened Sea
    4 Burst
    5 Burst
    6 Splash of atonement
    7 Wave of Sorrow
    8 Grief
    Offtanking, Ill Use.
    1. Force of the Darkened Sea (I just realized it runs on same timer as Crush does). Thanks for pointing that out P2aa. I cant believe I didnt figure that out long ago. So ill probably go with the stun over the crush and find another spell to put in place of crush for off tanking mobs that are stunnable.
    2. Impose for Honor
    3. Staunch Stance
    4 Sorrow

On Praetor Vitio (One Off), when I can focus on Dps. Ill replace the offtanking line up with:
    1. Admonish
    2. Protective Proclamantion
    3 Consecration
    4 Valiant deflection

I noticed I seem to be the only one using 2 wave heals? Splashes I have been using mainly on raids like ToR, DH, and Arx3, to name a few, But using Brilliant vindication to double group heals is generally what I go with...Using Burst spells to heal MT when situations need it...BB
    Tanking Abilities I use are:
    1. 3rd spire of holiness
    2. Armor of the inquisitor
    3. Armor of Ardency or Holy Guardian Disc, then Mantle.

I am completely open for constructive Crit, I know I have areas I can improve on. II never seem to parse on Dmg, and really dont ever expect too..I will parse mid to mid high when I focus on healing.
  9. Ravengloome Augur

There is functionally no time that I can think of that 1st Spire of Holiness is not better then Third spire... Ever

The amount of AC it gave, even at level 85 was negligible at best
    The parry modifier is insignificant (5% increase to a 1% chance to parry is nothing)
    The increase to avoid melee damage does not stack with Talisman of Foresight line.

So if you can cast or receive even just 1 heal with First spire running. It has already been worth far more then Third could ever be.
  10. Tour Augur

Agree; First spire is something, along with group armor, I certainly want to see more of in raids. It is easily superior then the Third / Second spire option.
  11. Ravengloome Augur

Third spire and second spire are not options, Well second spire i guess is an option if your maximizing a burn (its about 150 - 175dps tho.. soo big deal).

But really outside of trying to get a once an expansion parse, or just saying " it" i am going to dps, theres functionally no reason to ever use any spire other then First spire.

The fact its TGBable and STACKS with Group armor alone should make it a no brainer; 84% increase to incoming healing is better then 54%.
  12. Sindaiann Augur

Can someone update this for 110 for both aggro tanking situations and burn dps situations. Setups for supplementary healers/main heal situations might not be bad idea.

Asking to broaden knowledge.

Thanks
  13. Wulfhere Augur

Not much has changed since TDS. Simply update your spell sets with higher level spells that do the same thing.

There are a few new wrinkles, listed in order of how often I memorize them.

1. Harmonious Blessing usually replaces a group heal
    2. Dichotomic Force sometimes replaces a group heal (e.g on Lcea and Prince raids)
    3. Holy Alliance can help a little on burns although it's way underpowered and situational in raids where paladins can neglect other duties to spam nukes
    4. Refute for Honor (line) has much better aggro and its recourse is now a spdat 451 melee guard that stacks with everything. It's mitigation is almost noticeable if you spam it will tanking. The new Yaulp o_O
    5. Preservation of Rodcet (line) has +15% hate mod (like SK Voice of Thule) that helps with aggro
  14. Allayna Augur

Makes me a sad panda....where are your stuns?!

Stunlock = 100% slow