Raid mechanics.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kaenneth, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

So, I havn't done current raids since Luclin, and reading about some of them I see interesting mechanics in them.

frontal arc AE's, rear arc AE's (tail swipes...) and 'emotes'

Reading the Necro AA discussion I saw mention of 'doom triggers' effects that occur under conditions like a player falling under 30% HP.

I know there are events that trigger adds on deaths (Vish), are there some that, for example, if you HP falls under 50% you automatically die, cast an AE, or suffer some other effect?

What kinds of actions do you have to perform when an 'emote' occurs? I recall one where you have to hit the duck key or get 'decapitated'

How hard are the responses to the emotes to figure out? are they generally obvious, or is there a ton of trial-and-error involved for the first few people to try it?

Not asking about any specific raid strat; just in general, what to expect if I want to start raiding again.
  2. Retro Elder

Everything is pretty obvious atm, esp in voa, not a whole lot of emotes you have to worry about in RoF tho. Xorbb 1 first real raid where emotes plow you. Most raids are once you get used to the 1 or 2 little mechanics the raid has its just a tolerance battle.
  3. Axxius Augur

Xorbb 1 is the only real raid in RoF.

But if the OP has missed everything since Luclin - the answer could take pages. Scripts didn't even exist until GoD. Emotes made their debut in OoW: Prathun's iconic Simon Says event in MPG, and Overlord Mata Muram. The latter did the most to promote 3rd party log reader programs and brought audio triggers into EQ. Since then there have been emotes in most raids in every expansion, and lately even on group named. Scripts can check for all possible actions in EQ, and the extent of what the emotes have the players do is only limited by the dev's imagination. My favorite is the 'Jump Out of the Window' emote in Ellyra's Resplendent Temple raid in VoA.
  4. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I've boxed OMM and DDD! through Kessdona by shear persistence (no tracker, event kept resetting HP until I got lucky on the right sequence) but that was by just being overleveled and ignoring the mechanics; Didn't work on Beltron in GGG!... Haven't tried boxing Vishimtar yet, but did join some raiders doing him for alts. (one grouped successfully).

What are the most complex events? And which ones are easy, mechanic wise that I can try to overpower to get a few clickys/slot 8's?
  5. Retro Elder

Meh slot 8s aren't worth the hassle, just box rof t1 named and youll get better loot than you will ever get doing old raids. If you want lvl 3 circle buffs, you should be able to box or 1 group solteris
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Well, I'm planning of going after the LDoN raid %skill augs; I've run Valdoon(I think) a few times, didn't get them yet, but when I do, I'll want the best slot 8 gear I can to put them in.

I'm also trying to join raids in VoA/HoT, etc but easier for my boxed (pre-merc) 95/3000 Cleric to get invited to them than my main 100/6000 Mage!
  7. Langya Augur

Modern raid mechanics = If you can pay attention to the bouncing ball and not so much gear or skill.

Gear and skill are always win, but most events are made to be won by guilds that are far less capable than MS/CT/RoI or any of those other alphabet soup guilds. That also means many wipes caused by someone answering a phone/door or seeing why a baby is crying and missing an emote.