Ragefire Server Stats: Classes, Races, and much more!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by totalimmortal, May 10, 2015.

1. totalimmortal Elder

Alright! In the end we had 396 participants, a pretty good turn out! Thanks to all that took some time to fill out the survey. I hope that you find the results as interesting as I did, and I hope that they will help you make educated EverQuest decisions as the server launch nears!

Survey Results

Q1 - Will you be playing on Ragefire as soon as you possibly can?
    • Only 2 % of participants stated that they would be waiting for a particular expansion before they started playing

Q2 - If you are waiting for a particular expansion to launch before playing on Ragefire, which expansion are you waiting for?
    • Those that are waiting are evenly split between Kunark, Velious, Luclin, and Planes of Power.

Q3 - Which EverQuest era are you most excited for?
    • Planes of Power won by a pretty good margin. 28% of respondents are most excited for PoP!
    • However, when you look at the number of votes for the Trilogy, 55% of respondents are most excited for the original Trilogy era!
    [IMG]

Q4 - Which era did you begin playing EverQuest?
    • I was a bit surprised by this one, but maybe I shouldn’t be. Clearly players that started during the Trilogy are the players most interested in the EQ Progression experience.
    [IMG]

Q5 - Which era did you originally quit EverQuest?
    • No surprise here. GoD took many players out of EQ. If GoD didn’t get em, then OoW probably did. WoW also launched a few months after OoW dropped.
    [IMG]

Q6 - When do you think you are most likely to stop playing on Ragefire, assuming no external factors were influencing your decision (i.e. guild drama, friends quitting, real life priorities, etc.)
    • I think you’re all a bunch of liars. At least 46% of you.
    • Once again, we will have a decent sized population drop during GoD. Other than that, it will be a steady decline.

[IMG]

Q7 - How many characters will you be boxing (playing simultaneously) on Ragefire
    • To the disappointment of many, over half of the server will be boxing at least 2 characters simultaneously. Daybreak is happy.
    [IMG]

Q8 - What class will your main be at launch (if you are unsure, which one are you leaning towards)?
    • Let’s all take a moment to celebrate, Cleric has taken the top spot! There have literally never been too many Clerics in EverQuest. 10% of the population still won’t be enough!
    • I’m a bit surprised to see Enchanter so high. Yes they are fairly powerful in Classic/Kunark, and mana regen is to die for, but they fall off during Velious, are usually boring to raid with, and frankly take a certain type of person to enjoy playing them.
    • I thought Druid and Mage would be higher. Once you see the boxing number you’ll understand why they are low in the main category.
    • Paladin least played Knight. Warrior low too, but they should be. If don’t have the dedication to play as one of a guilds MTs, I can’t imagine they would be very enjoyable.
    • Rangers, Rogues, and Wizards. The bottom of the barrel. I think there’s too much negative stigma around Rangers. They become one of the top DPS in later expansions, and are fun to play in general. Rogues and Wizards, I get it, you’re gonna have a bad time for the first few expansions, but then again, you’re gonna be top DPS before long. Wizard actually may be up there fairly early, but Mages are just so OP it’s hard to convince yourself to go Wizard instead.
    [IMG]

Q9 - When new classes are released, will you be switching your main to one of the new classes?
    • Far more players will switch to Beastlord (10%) rather than Berserker (3%). This could be skewed because so many players quit during GoD.

Q10 - What race will your main character be?
    • I’ve never understood playing a Human in EverQuest, but here you are, topping the charts slightly behind Dark Elf. I hope it’s just because of the monks.
    • No surprise, Erudites are at the bottom. It’s not the color of their skin. It’s because of their starting location (which may be advantageous on opening day)!
    • No one plays Ogre/Troll unless you’re playing Warrior and maybe SK.

[IMG]

Q11 - When new races are released, will you switch your main character to one of the new races?
    • Iksar wins. If you’re changing to a frog of drakkin, please don’t. I’m lukewarm on cats.
    [IMG]

Q12 & Q13 - If you are boxing, what will your second/ third class be?
    • Most commonly boxed classes by far: Druid, Shaman, Mage. Many people don’t want to actually main these classes, so they box em for the benefits they provide.
    • Cleric and Chanter a distant 4th and 5th place. Also support oriented characters.

[IMG]

Q14 - Do you plan on raiding?
    • Most players consider themselves casual raiders.
    • There are actually more players that won’t raid at all than there are hardcore raiders.

[IMG]

Q15 - What time zone do you play in?
    • As has been noted, I suck at time zones.
    • Only 5% play in MST, which means as other have suggested: MST does not exist. Or I added MST late in the survey.
    • Pretty wide margin of victory for the ESTers. I thought PST was oddly low.
    • Shout out to the Canadians and other people that don’t live in America! 12% strong!

[IMG]

Q16 - How many hours a week do you anticipate playing on average?
    • The mid range players are clearly the majority. Anywhere from 11-30 hours a week or 1.5 – 4 hours a day.
    • Don’t worry, we still have 11% neckbeard population. I’m scared what would have happened if I gave options above 51 hours a week.
    [IMG]

Q17 – Is your significant other aware that the next Everquest progression server is on the horizon, and that you want to play on it?
    • This was optional but everyone actually answered it. Thought it would be an interesting social experiment.
    • Most have disclosed, but we do have 31% single EQ players. They will remain single for the next 4 years.
    • To the 22% that haven’t brought it up yet, you probably should. This isn’t simply a game, it’s a life choice!

[IMG]

Q18 – What best describes your significant other’s attitude towards your decision to play on Ragefire (or their anticipated attitude if you have yet to discuss)?
    • I got a bit more personal here, and had a drop in participation; 86%.
    • Overwhelmingly supportive, I was surprised!
    • Reluctantly accepting, that’s my camp, a distant 2nd.
    • 6% prohibitive. How are you guys dealing with this scenario exactly?

[IMG]

Q19 – How old are you?
    • Optional, but 99% participation.
    • Majority of population is 30-39. That means in 1999 you were between 14 and 23 years old. Yet somehow I feel like the community has become less mature than in 1999. What gives?
    • 98.9% of players on Ragefire will be able to consume alcoholic beverages.

[IMG]

Deep Dive Insights!

Classes

When do certain classes think they will quit Ragefire? How reliable will certain classes be?
    • Over 60% of Clerics and Paladins believe they will quit after TSS. By far the most reliable classes.
    • Only 28% of Mages are going to make it past TSS. Most will quit in GoD and DoDh. Get those CotH bots ready.
    • Most classes have steady decline over time, others have big drops in population at key breakpoints
      • 37% of Warriors will quit by GoD. Better keep some benched.
      • 40% of Rogues will quit between GoD and OoW. Other than that they are solid!

• Strange timing
      • 15% of Bards say they’ve had enough by LoY
      • 11% of Monks say no thanks to LDoN

[IMG]

How much do certain classes play?
    • For the purposes of this question, I’m considering 1-20 hrs casual, 21-40 hrs midrange, and 41+ hrs hardcore.
    • Top 5 casual classes make sense, they all have a high degree of soloability and/or utility for the casual player.
    • Top 5 for midrange and hardcore both include all 3 tank classes (except an odd result of Warriors dropping down the list for hardcore). Tank classes are infamous for requiring more playtime in order to stay up to par.
    • Ranger is an odd dichotomy: You’re either a really casual ranger player, or you’re a hardcore player. 27% of Rangers are hardcore players, #1 on the list.
    • Cleric is middle of the list on casual/midrange, but shoots near the top on hardcore. A testament to their importance in competitive raiding.
    • Use this to project the absolute need for a class in raiding/grouping (mains only).
      • For example, while shaman will be a very popular class, 53% of them are casual, only playing 11-20 hours per week. They are the lowest population in midrange, and middle of the pack in hardcore. This tells me there could be a decent size need for Shaman that have higher playtime, and you are more likely to be able to find groups.

[IMG]

Raiding population vs total population by class
    • Some classes are similar, others have a 1-2pt gap. So if you are more concerned with the raiding population than the general population, check it out (had to remove image to comply with forum restrictions).
    • Clerics, Enchanters, and Monks are high population in general, but they are even higher out of the total raiding population.
    • Necros, Druids, and Bards have a larger general population than they have raiding population.

Class Race Combo
    • Aside from Human Monk, Dark Elf Necro and Barbarian Shaman are by far the most common combinations.
    • Below is also the most (and least) common selection, and the % of the class that selected that combination.

[IMG]

What classes are people switching from to become Beastlords?
    • I was surprised at the variety of responses, but the largest margin was Druids. 20% of Beastlords will reroll from Druid.

Boxing

Most common boxing DUO

[IMG]

Most common boxing TRIO
    • There were really only 2 clear favorites here. Double any other combinations.
      • Enchanter + Mage + Druid: 3.9%
      • Paladin + Enchanter + Druid: 3.9%

Boxing vs Raiding
    • Proof that hardcore raiding guilds only have like 6 real people in them.
    [IMG]

Zone Population
    • Unfortunately I didn’t ask what city players would start in, so I can’t get a great read on this, but I can tell you for sure that Qeynos will be FAR less populated than Gfay or Commons. Gfay and Commons will be really close in population.

Random Stuff

Class vs Age Commentary
    • Bards under index with the 40+ crowd significantly. Old people hate Bards, too many buttons.
    • Clerics under index with the 21-29 crowd. Clerics are a bit older than average.
    • Druids are either really old or really young. The 26-39 crowd isn’t big on Druids.
    • Enchanters are pretty average, sorry.
    • If you run in to a Magician, there is a 63% chance that they are 30-39. Highest age skew of all the classes.
    • Monks skew a bit on the young side. Young people like being OP.
    • Necros skew really old and have the oldest population by far. 13% are 50-59 and 3% are 70+. Creepy.
    • Paladins are pretty average.
    • Rangers skew fairly young. Means they probably didn’t play Ranger in classic.
    • Rogues also skew pretty young. I doubt any of them will make it to max level.
    • Shadow Knights and Shamans. Sorry, you’re average.
    • Warriors are split big time. 30-39 is the largest Ragefire population at 44.6%, but there’s only 15.8% of warriors in that range, very odd. Most Warriors are younger, 21-29, but there’s also a larger than average group in the 40-49 range.
    • Wizards. Definition of millennials.

Dishonest or Single
    • 53% of Warriors are single. The highest percentage by a mile.
    • The most dishonest classes (haven’t disclosed Ragefire info with spouse) are:
      • Magician – 38% haven’t disclosed
      • Warrior – 32% haven’t disclosed

What your class says about your spouse’s reaction
    • Necros have the most supportive spouses; 55% are supportive. Because they are old and casual.
    • Enchanters have the most reluctantly accepting; 35% are reluctant, but they are able to coerce their spouse into compliance.
    • 17% of Magician spouses are prohibitive. Now I understand why only 28% of you are going to make it to TSS.
    • 20% of Clerics and SKs play with their spouses. Cute. Let me guess, you’re both playing Dark Elves too?
    • 20% of Enchanters spouses have accepted the situation, but provided restriction or stipulations. Enchanter fail.
    The power of Iksar: Abandoning a class for a race

• Iksar is the race most players will switch for. Most classes people are switching from are already Iksar playable classes, a simple race change. However 30% of players that are switching to Iksar, are actually abandoning their main class so that they can play Iksar.
    jagarr, Nniki, Sirene_Fippy and 9 others like this.
  2. Ducreux Augur

Love it. And that Troll Warrior % was hilarious and expected.
  3. Staley New Member

This is awesome thanks for posting. Would love to see another before the beta wraps up.
  4. EonBlue Apocalypse Journeyman

"98.9% of players on Ragefire will be able to consume alcoholic beverages"

and thats gonna make it a whole lot better the second time around for me
    Soltara and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  5. Hateseeker Augur

1. I would love to have known whether the percentage of casual raiders + hardcore raiders was that high in 1999.

2. 46% likely to quit after TSS. That's a lot of people who want to stay past PoP!

3. I'd rather not count Classic as part of the original trilogy, I would rather focus on the fact that this shows there may indeed have been skewing in the Classic start official vote.

4. WoW's launch has to be the single most reason for GoD quitters, followed by the expansion being too hard at first (though with all our hardcore folks that shouldn't be a problem for us). The expansion not being fun likely has the least, if anything, to do with it.
  6. Mardy Augur

Interesting poll, thanks for posting. Fun read.
  7. kain200 Elder

I don't understand why no one wants to play a troll warrior! I'm not going to main a warrior but any time i've made one for fun I use a troll! How can you not want the awesome regen while leveling up? Not everyone is going to have a spare fungi in their pocket so I would think a troll warrior would be more likely?

Is there some hidden handicap to troll warriors that I've never heard of? I personally would pick them above all other races right behind an ogre.
  8. Ducreux Augur

Ogre racial is just so much better for a class that is going to be smacked constantly and since the class will almost always be grouping with healers the troll regen isn't as noticeable. Since both races start next door to each other its a hard sell to go Troll.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  9. totalimmortal Elder

Good point on the location. I wonder if you would see more go troll if they were "forest trolls" and started somewhere on Faydwer?
  10. Vlerg Augur

ogre ( other than stats issues that fade after pop) : cant be stunned from the front.

non-ogre/troll : the joy of not being KoS everywhere

troll: ??
  11. Eliseus Augur

A lot of your assumptions in your OP are off putting since you base 386 peoples opinions as a view for the entirety of the server. Though it was already obvious for a lot of the info you posted, just annoyed at the way you phrase things. If your statistics were right that at least 50% of the server will 2box. Assuming that the pop hits 5k+ like fippy/vulak and that half of them were boxing at least 2 characters, you are missing roughly 2k+ people voting in your statistics. That leaves huge margin of error, and should not result in you basing your responses as a view of the entire server.
  12. totalimmortal Elder

Actually, assuming the number of people that create characters is 5,000, the sample size is good enough for a 95% confidence level with a +/- 4.8% confidence interval (margin of error).
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  13. Triumph Journeyman

thanks for this totalimmortal.
  14. Eliseus Augur

You realize what you just claimed is the same thing as me pulling random numbers out of hat and telling you I'm 95% sure these numbers are all accurate? Sounds good though, keep up the good fight!

I'll give you a better example of your falicy behind your statistic. Again, I don't disagree with what a lot of you posted, I disagree as you voicing the opinion of roughly 2k+ players that would of not participated in your statistic (this is 2k according to what you posted, was probably significantly higher). That is roughly 6x higher than the people who took your polls. Anyways, one of the above users mentioned he would like to know the casual vs hardcore raiders in 1999. If you were able to take a poll like that, at least according to you, it could be completely skewed with 386 hardcore raiders. You would then post "facts" and spew that you are 95% confident in the validity of those polls. Sounds valid I guess.
  15. taliefer Augur

omens of war is one of the best eq expansions. its got great content for raiders and groupers alike.

if some of the die hard "old eq or bust" people stick around long enough to get to it, i think theyd be surprised at just how good it is.

i think it was mostly the world of warcraft phenomenon that is the reason its the 2nd highest "quit during" expansion
  16. Hateseeker Augur

I can reasonably foresee that people will claim the GoD/OoW instancing had something to do with it, but, yeah right...they left EQ over instancing and walked straight into the arms of a game that had instancing from day one? Does not compute.
  17. Deadlyne Elder

You obviously have never taken a statistics course. He didn't just claim he's 95% confident all willy nilly. He actually did the calculations, using a confidence interval which shows that his sample was of sufficient size to be representative on the population. Your "example" of his "falicy" is just total nonsense. People a great deal smarter than you have developed statistics into what it is, your lack of understanding it doesn't discredit this data or the assumptions derived from it.
  18. Trevalon Augur

Someone didn't take college stats...If you had you would know that a sample of 386 is way more than enough to extrapolate to a population of 2k+.

Awesome post OP - Most of this was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be, kinda neat to see actual numbers put to it though.
    Irbax_Smoo and totalimmortal like this.
  19. DBCooper Elder

Even if those numbers were an accurate representation of sentiment, I doubt they hold up long in reality. Wizard as the least played class for example? No way that holds up. Paladins at 5%? I bet within a month they are the least played class just like on Fippy.

Monks, Magicians, Necros, Wizards, Shaman are going to dominate, particularly in a 6 month long classic period, due to how overpowered they are due to changes made to the game.
  20. Vaclav Augur

I already changed mains here ><

Farewell ERU SK, hello HUM RNG since I ran it. (And apparently I'll be old for a ranger at 38)