Ragefire Exceeded Expectations - What Now?

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreonin New Member

To be quite frank. Boxers are not now nor ever will be an issue. In my experience the one folks that dislike boxing are people not capable of doing it themselves. If you want to improve things. Put a 10 min timer on all AFK. Stay in AFK for longer than 10 mins get booted. that would greatly reduce the wait times for people trying to get in.
    Sendori likes this.
  2. Maginus Lorekeeper

That's not run by DayBreak so get off of it....
  3. Glistarian Augur

They're making a second server.

They shouldn't instance on both of them, that's solving the same problem twice. One of the solutions changes the character of the game, one does not. We only need one solution, why add the second when we don't need it and it changes the game?
  4. Tronk Augur

There were a lot of people voting for the 2nd options for servers. Catering to them would be a great idea. Implement it as all those second choices that won. That way, the people who like some or all of the 2nd choices would restart, plus more people would be attracted (the ones who were turned off by the limits of the current ruleset).

We will play on one server, or the other, or both. That includes our box accounts, since we paid for All-Access on all of them.
    Pukk likes this.
  5. code-zero Augur

Maybe they're intending to do a server split like they had to do back in the early days of EQ. It's been a long time and I can't recall the details exactly
  6. Noxian New Member

Only the transfers would also have had 5 more days of playing to get even higher before they transferred, so you really aren't evening anything out of that's your goal.
  7. Kasuka Lorekeeper

Simply never use another instance, pretend it doesn't even exist. Problem solved.
    Sendori likes this.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It is not possible to do realisticly. As far as the DBG's servers are concerned boxed accounts and 2 different family members playing at the same time are the same. There is no fair reasonable way for what you are asking to be done.
    SuedeVeil, Mayfaire and Sendori like this.
  9. Maginus Lorekeeper

Then imho your opinion is wrong
    Grisnkh likes this.
  10. Tronk Augur

No, you can't vote to devalue my purchases after the fact. Sorry, Laws, etc.
    Sendori likes this.
  11. PPQ1 New Member

I box. I prefer to run 2-3 characters and to play with friends, with 1-2 of my characters providing out of group support. Boxing is the only reason I considered playing here - I would have gone to 99 if I wanted a single-character experience.

Meanwhile, my entire team of boxed characters have so far reached a cumulative level of 4 (that's level 1 each), and I'm still trying to run a barbarian over to gfay so they can roll together.

I say this simply to iterate that the concept of boxing itself is not a problem, and many boxers want the same social experience that single-character players do. The problem is when players have the ability to rip through unbalanced content with minimal effort (see: mages). A player who cares for nothing except progression can easily faceroll through content by utilizing extremely broken classes.

If a boxer were to run a group of war, cleric, druid, rogue, enchanter and ranger, he would most likely be less effective than a coordinated group of those six mains. But when he can let pets do most of the work and run with an identical class make-up, it makes his job extremely easy (see: WoW 5-shaman boxers).

I do think that sucks a bit, and I would like to see a semblance of game balance exist so that we might actually have to work for our progression. But, unfortunately, that seems like a far-fetched dream. So our best effort is to tune those players out and enjoy the non-perma-camped content for what it is. :)
    Pukk likes this.
  12. Glistarian Augur

I see you're missing the part where it changes the character of the game.

Regardless of whether I personally use an instance or not, instances reduce the community aspect of the game.

This isn't theoretical. We've been through this on the game we all quit a decade ago.
  13. Samui New Member

no boxers.... however there are some of us that play with our significant others. how about 2 accounts per IP..... PUT IT TO A VOTE.
  14. kreonin New Member

Also, people boxed back in 1999 too. Boxing is not a problem. selfish people staying logged in afk for hours at a time IS the problem. set a boot timer on AFK like it was back in 1999.
    Mayfaire and Pukk like this.
  15. Ziggy Augur

I too am dead set against using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] - Or any other 3rd party software that gives such a huge advantage over those who don't use it. if you want people to be on the new server, find away to disallow it and other programs that are basically cheating. This is the only way a second server will have enough interest to fill it.

I do think that people use boxing as an excuse to some degree though -- I am a member of said guild, and leveled with basically two different groups. Both of them had 6 real people playing, we just played a lot.
  16. Maginus Lorekeeper

Having one server with no boxing doesn't change anything for you if you simply play on the ragefire and keep your box's...
    Grisnkh likes this.
  17. kreonin New Member

Your opinion isn't humble. Incorrect. Yes. People boxed back in 1999. Get rid of selfish people sitting afk for hours and greatly reduce the time it takes to log in.
    Pukk and Sendori like this.
  18. Glistarian Augur

I'm antiboxing, but realistically there's no practical solution to it.
  19. Gehlfein Elder

Would love if they made sure boxers don't live on the second server.
    Grisnkh and Maginus like this.
  20. Rmanf150 New Member

I do play multiple accounts. 2 to be exact, and neither of them are Mages lol, I bot bard/monk. And I do not use ISbox. Not everyone bots to get an uber advantage. I do it because its challenging, and allows me to do certain things by myself, and also enhances my ability to find a group when I do group. I can LFG as 2 different classes, and therefore find a group more often if that group doesn't need one or the other classes.

I have yet to have both of my accounts on the ragefire server at the same time just because I don't feel its fair currently to other waiting, and I don't want to fight the queue twice.

I do see that some people are taking advantage of some obvious imbalances, but the IP blocking method mentioned in previous posts has too many negatives for it to be a viable option for DBG. I would like to propose a modification to that option:

Basically limit the number of a Class that can be logged on simultaneously to a single IP. I say limit the class to each IP to 2. Some people in the same household may want to be the same class, and this would allow for just about any multi user home scenario within reason.

I hate to say this, but I would be willing to bet that the same people who were the first to take out Vox, Naggy, Inny, and Phinny will do it all over again on Lockjaw just for S&G's, and bragging rights. The only thing the new server is going to fix is the queue problem. That was the only thing discussed in this update after all. Complaining about the rest is mostly pointless because these 6box mage groups are playing within the ruleset, even if it wasn't the intended way for the content to be completed. The Devs cant really control that. They can only try to steer people in a general direction, and hope for the best.
    PPQ1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.