Race Bonuses

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Asiema, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Asiema Elder

Hey everyone, glad to be back in EQ after 15+ years and having a blast. I just had a quick question for all you raid content folks and anyone else around end game content at this moment.

I am itching to roll a warrior like I had back in the day, even though I may not be available enough to be a raid tank as any guild I would join may not be able to get me on when I am always needed to be, but none the less, I just want some of the nostalgia from it...heck I am playing lots of alts and just trying all the classes I never did while I can anyways.

I keep considering the fact that say shaman race makes most sense to me as a troll because regen + canni = win. Also, ogre starting stats ( I know wont matter later ) and stun immunity = win for warrior. I just simply cannot get my eyes off the eye sore that is any and all equipment on trolls and ogres, sorry fans of said races, your most awesome armor right now just looks like rags. I mean any other race almost in even banded looks better then plane gear on an ogre or troll...personal opinion of course.

So, as much as I notice my monk getting stunned in UGuk, I just wonder should I roll an ogre and just let myself get used to the visual or does it really not make or break my uberness as a tank or even troll regen as a shaman, to roll a different class with armor effects I love?

I know I can race change to an iksar for regen shammy, but don't like their armor much either...never a fan of that tail either ;p. And I know there is a DE clicky mask, while it lasts, but I cant just assume I will get it before nerf...I am hoping to get one for my monk or ranger because that sounds cool to me as those classes to be a DE. Doubt I will get 3-4 of them before they nerf it haha.

So...after reading my small novel, how much do most of you notice troll regen at 40+ in shammy compare to Barbarian and do you feel not having stun immunity makes your groups less efficient with warriors at 40+?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the book, you all needed something to drink your coffee to and wake up anyways =P

See you in Agnarr, be well and safe hunting!

Torent Steel~~27 Monk~~Main
  2. AgentofChange Augur

1) You would have to try really, really, really, really, REALLY hard to not get a dark elf mask if you want one.

2) You should always choose the race you like the most because that's one of the things that will keep you enjoying the game & playing the game.
  3. Carns Lorekeeper

Got it... giant horned skull on your troll and rhino ogre are horrible...

you prefer human and elf bucketheads.

Either you are using the new models for some unknown reason, or yeah, something is wrong with you.
  4. code-zero Augur

Make a Halfling, they get an experience bonus :)
  5. taliefer Augur

if your class can be ogre, and you dont go ogre, you are EQing wrong.

i still get pissed off every single time i get stunned on my paladin. most annoying thing in eq.
  6. code-zero Augur

If your class can't be an Ogre but you play it anyway are you still wrong? It would seem to follow logically if Ogre is that important :cool:
  7. Carns Lorekeeper

There really is no more important racial for tanking SKs and soloing Shaman. Warriors are affected less; it is more of a "nice-to-have" instead of making the "impossible for others" possible.

Bards, Paladins, and Clerics would give body parts for it, in line with SKs and Shaman. All other classes would be more of a Warrior type situation.
  8. Green_Mage Augur

Id go Ogre for just about any class I could on this server, frontal interrupts seem like more of a thing. For Shaman and Shadow Knight, you can argue that the fungi tunic amount of +hp regen you get is worth not having the ogre immunity -- but I wouldn't on this server. Warrior however, it doesn't really need the stun immunity for the most part. There are only a few encounters its good in the history of the game. Some still claim those encounters make Ogres the best warrior though.

Make sure you go RZ as a warrior. Their idols are only 1100 atm and are pretty good. They will like go down even more because of the new potter competition.

Edit: you can race change in Kunark to Iksar -- which are probably the best warriors until Luclin or so. But by a negligible amount.

IMO. Warrior is definitely a Class you should just pick the race you like the most on -- it fundamentally is not going to matter much. Unless your going for guild firsts on very specific mobs, it matters nadda for warrior. So you get stunned as a warrior? Big deal.

Shrink bracers in Kunark are better than Guise btw -- but they will cost a lot and not be really all that possible to farm.
    code-zero likes this.
  9. AgentofChange Augur

What? They will be farmed 24/7 and cheap as if you wait like a week or 2. They are expensive at first because they are semi-rare but sebilis will be heavily camped and eventually people will be trying to give these things away. I have like 12 of them rotting in the bank on phinny because they started to sell for .
  10. Aegir Augur

You kill a ton more Myconids on TLP than you able to on P99 or back in real classic. So yeah, a lot more Cobalt Bracers gonna drop and that's even without the amount of pickzones being available.

Ironically... Cobalt Boots are going be the most expensive piece from that line.

I always loved the frontal stun-immunity for Shaman Ogres and would'nt trade it away for the extra regen from Troll n'or Iksar. But I guess it's a matter of playstyle/taste.
  11. Asiema Elder

Did not even think about no stun for shammy casting, that would be quite nice too.
    Valid points on the play what you like, I know that's how it always goes, just wasn't sure if anyone could really say if they felt it shifted their attitude a LOT after trying one out compared to a different race for said class.

And yes, I DO have new models on...derrrr, ima go kill them bad boys....been a long time since ive seen old models, maybe dem fatties will look more appealing in a different model.

Guess I just like the beauty of the plate mail/banded on other classes, on ogres and trolls they give them a "pieced together scraps" armor effects, but then again, they are supposed to be savage, wild races...their cities make that pretty apparent.

One more quick question, why would stun immunity matter for tanking sk and not really tanking warrior, I'm guessing because then the Sk just cant cast spells for agro/utility? I realize they generate their agro a lot in this way.
  12. Thorondor Augur

Ogre chanter ftw.
  13. Raltar Augur

You can get AAs eventually for stun immunity. Play Iksar. They are the best and don't look like they have extra chromosomes.
  14. Tevez Augur

The main thing I believe why you want to be a Ogre Sk and not really fussed about warriors is that your spells will get interrupted if you're not an ogre while a warrior doesnt really have any cast times. Another big factor is you could be stunned while trying to FD resulting in a death which would be a big pain.

I think thats the main reason people say to go Ogre Sk and for warriors go which ever you really want. Although being big and able to slam can be nice if you're using a 2h (I think everyone gets this eventually with AA's but im not sure if they'll receive it by PoP)
  15. Amnilarch Journeyman

Well for a shaman Ogre frontal stun immunity doesn't prevent spell casting interrupts, so don't get that confused. And it only works in Melee range whereas iksar/troll regen is always working, all the time and for a Shaman more hp= more mana and mana is way more important than the rare one-off occasions that stun immunity will save you.
  16. Tevez Augur

Ah my bad, I was not aware of this. I assumed that being immune to frontal stun would prevent you from being interrupted. So will SK's then be interrupted while casting? Because if that is the case that frontal stun immunity seems no where near as good as I once thought.
  17. Amnilarch Journeyman

Funny enough my experience is with being a troll shaman and my brother/duo plays an ogre SK and he complains about it all the time. It's still a decent benefit for SKs because stuns can take you out of the fight for a second but people that believe you can just back an ogre into a corner and cast with impunity are just plain wrong.
  18. Raltar Augur

Even more reason for Iksar, imo.