Queue System

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by urbanbo70, Mar 19, 2018.

1. urbanbo70 Elder

Hello everyone, my name is Bob and my first experience with EQ was from 99-05. I remember taking off work the day Kunark launched (the original launch) and experiencing that original content. Kunark has always been my favorite expansion.

I have played on P99 and started day 1 on Agnarr. Don’t you guys love being able to have a really good chance of finding a group when progression servers first start – I know I do! This is the time I am actually excited about the couple of hours I have after work and kids/wife that I can actually logon and play.

Once that fades and the server starts to age it frustrates the hell out of me that I have to work (after work all day) to find a group and it usually never happens. This is where WoW got it right with being able to queue for groups. I love EQ and always will, but it’s the same cycle every time and that’s why I eventually quit and end my subscription. If only there was a way to queue for groups …

My suggestion is to introduce a queue system that will allow players to choose which zone they would like to play in. Once the group is formed (by the queue system) that group has the whole zone to themselves in an instance setting. I know this has probably been suggested numerous times before, but I know I am not the only one frustrated by the roadblock of not being able to play because it takes hour(s) to find a group.

I know for some it’s part of the nostalgia and that’s fine in the beginning, but when it reaches the point of losing subs don’t you think it’s time to make a change?
  2. C3lowz Augur

Personal opinion, but this seems like too much for having an ENTIRE zone for yourself. This will have a major affect on the economy as well considering everyone can have their very own camp and flood the sought after for items.

I understand the intention of this is to help those find groups and eliminate contesting toxic players, but honestly, they made a drastic change by allowing multiple zones in the form of Picks. But to just allow a group a whole zone to themselves? Eh, I'm going to have to disagree with that.

But as I said, the new (well oldish now) Pick feature for multiple instances of a zone is the feature they did that drastically helped Exping parties. We currently have 5 Lguk picks up atm, and its not even peak hours. 5 Frenzy camps, 5 Hamlord, granted they're all filled, but its better than having 100+ people in 1 Lguk.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Sounds like you want to play a game that isn't Everquest.
  4. urbanbo70 Elder

So I am being forced to play something else because I don't have the time to LFG for 2 hours?
  5. Ephyr Lorekeeper

Yes, Bob, that is correct. It's the reality of the current state of EQ.
  6. Jerakor Journeyman

Dungeon Finder ruined WoW and similar games. It entirely removes the need to be social and build a network and that is the foundation of EQ. Every time you group with people and they are not total dicks, add them to friends. Every time you log on, send tells to guildies and friends that you know, ask them what they are up to and see if they want help or have room in a group. Don't ask in general channels, don't just say "LFG" in guild chat. Send tells. Talk to people. Even if you're not grouping with them just check in and chat.

The issue I find is that people log on and specifically want to group in 1 or 2 camps because they are A. Easy, and B. Good XP. And they sure as hell don't want to make a group themselves.

The only times I've ever had a super hard time finding a group were when I played a class that all my friends played and that was a low desirability. Druids are a good example. Rogues and Wizards also suffer on a lot of servers.
    Kobra likes this.
  7. urbanbo70 Elder

What does boxing do?
  8. Febb Augur

Allows people to fight each other with padded gloves without killing each other.
    MaxTheLion likes this.
  9. Nickatropolis Augur

it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to find 5 other players that are also looking for a group. It may take additional time to find a camp and a good pick but that's part of the game.
  10. Febb Augur

Which server are you playing on that takes 2 hours to find a group?
  11. Jerakor Journeyman

Enables people to make functioning groups without having to find a Cleric or Shaman?

Very VERY few people box 6 people but many box 2. Those 6 boxes mostly die out after Luclin in EQ due to the lack of viable item camps for a 6 boxer to make Krono off. Of those, a lot are willing to box a char out of group. I've had a lot of groups that were only viable due to someone being willing to box an out of group healer. I've had a lot of groups be happy that I have my Cleric or Druid sitting nearby.
  12. urbanbo70 Elder

I am on Agnarr and that was a bit of an exaggeration, but there have been plenty of times I have looked for at least an hour or tried to put something together. Why does it have to be a job to find a group or put one together when it could be handled a more efficient way? Allow the tool to at least put the group together even if that’s all it does without any kind of instance. If you want to remain old school with it, don’t use the tool.
  13. Febb Augur

I think the big problem is, no one uses the /lfg tool. It allows you to search for people that are looking for group and groups looking for people.
  14. Machentoo Augur

Get better at finding groups?
  15. Kobra Augur

This guy is right.

I have used this strategy on every server I have played on and it works well.

You have to be proactive. I can start on a server tomorrow with nothing and in a month I will have a social network of in game friends to rely on.

I recently restarted on Lockjaw, considered by most to be a dead server and in less than a month I went from 1 to 65, 200 aa and about 8 pieces of plane of time gear and some GoD raid gear. I have a network of friends and when I log on I see who is on and put together a group instantly. This is not bragging, this is strategy talk.

You know why this works? Because people who box do so not because they want to but because they have a need to (they need a tank, they need a healer, a slower etc.). If you show up to their group and fill some need they have, they will gladly drop the box for you if you don't suck. You have one opportunity to impress new people you meet in this game and if you show up as the bard who won't pull or the healer who can't heal, guess what, you aren't getting invited again.

Based on your attitude you sound like a lazy player. You showed up and said lfg and expect the server to cater to you. It has never worked that way.
  16. urbanbo70 Elder

I need efficiency is what I need and a tool like this would provide it. I have a full time job, drive 2 hours round trip, and have kids. I put as much energy that I have left in my day on the days I actually get to play. I don't make this my job like a lot of people. I feel like the whole forum lives in a brainwashed box about how things are and should remain. Its cool, enjoy your 1999 way of doing things. BTW, out in the real world it's all about being efficient.
  17. urbanbo70 Elder

Would it be possible to get an official response from a Dev on this? It would be nice to get some official closure on the fact that this will never happen or even be discussed.
  18. Death Strudel Augur

Warning, Warning, Warning: Troll Detected!

Not really. WoW has a problem where you can be a paladin tank, paladin healer or paladin DPS. This breakdown of the class system made it nearly impossible to find workable groups before they added the queue system. In EQ roles are clearly defined, and players are held brutally accountable.

Finding groups in EQ sucks, queues won't fix it. I suggest if you have no social network to start with a maligned but necessary role like healer or tank.

Your social sphere will expand rapidly if you stop saying Kunark was your favorite expac, that's like saying you enjoy murdering kittens.

This won't give you closure. They have said they would never do certain things, and then done them.