Question regarding the XP group calculation as it pertains to PC level

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Maligannt, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Maligannt Journeyman

I wondered if anyone could provide detail on the XP group calculation?

I am playing a cleric and so I am able to contribute to XP groups who have an average level much higher than mine, but I am finding the XP per mob slower than in easier camps with players closer to my level. So I suspect there is a greater share of XP given to higher level PC's than lower, but would like to understand the dynamic. This may also help others who are frustrated by the XP rates on Coirnav, as if I am right on this they may be experiencing reduced rates of xp due to group dynamics.
  2. Paralyze Journeyman

Well back in the day the highest level took the highest share of EXP but I'm pretty sure they did away with that along with hybrid EXP penalties. Back then people would not group with hybrids because their total EXP was higher due to the hybrid penalty (which took a bigger share of the exp pie). This was a hostile dynamic so they scrapped it.

When I group with my lower level alts I notice they seem to catch up to me quite fast even with a 10 level difference, so I highly doubt that you are being penalized for being lower level. There is (or was?) a cap on exp gained per kill so the problem may be that killing lots of deep reds slowly is less efficient than killing lots of blues/whites quickly.

So to answer your question...what two camps are you comparing EXP with?
  3. Skeetari Lorekeeper

Not sure on exact calculations, but I think xp is split evenly regardless of level now. Maybe not.

More than likely the perceived difference is the mob kill times.
  4. slayerofbats Augur

All I know is that the lowest level will eventually catch up to the high levels in a regular group. I guess that means they earn more exp. I found this because I had a level 88 and I started multiboxing him with a level 84 and I asked in chat if there was any way to boost the lower level. Someone said just leave them be and the lower level will catch up, and he did!
  5. jeskola pheerie

experiment through trial and error and find your sweet spot. That is how this game has been for 19 years. if you want explicit figures, do some calculations on your own and post them here. Otherwise, just see what happens and figure it out... this is supposed to be one of the draws of EQ.
  6. TLP Addict Augur

I don't think its a case of one player getting more xp than another, more like the lower level char has less experience required to the next level so the xp they do get is a slightly higher percentage of what they need.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

I don't normally chime in on the TLP threads but someone asked a similar question recently regarding this and the answer was rather simple from the dev. The question they asked was more about the xp bar but the same idea would cross over here.... You killed xyz mob and you gain 100000000000000000 xp. You have to think past classic EQ when you are thinking about xp. Every level mobs give exponentially more and more xp so at level 110 you are looking at pretty huge numbers compared to level 1 I can only imagine. Maybe my thinking is wrong here about mob xp compared to the xp bar itself but I am guessing this is the main reason why. If you dig through the staff tracker posts you can find the thread and official response regarding this similar question.
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

What others said. You are likely in a group that are killing mobs way over your max exp cap per kill, and not killing them fast enough for it to be as good as a lower level group killing lower level mobs faster that give the same capped exp.

FWIW on a server like Phinny when I throw 1-3 level 46(s) in a group with my 70 then go demolish a zone with a bunch of light blue/blue cons to the 70 the level 46 gets an absurd amount of exp, so if the exp does penalize you for grouping with a higher level it doesn't seem to be noticeable.