Question on knight 1-handers in recent expacs

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Tatanka, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

As background, I'm usually behind the curve in EQ, where my level is usually higher than the content where I hunt. Due to that, most of my equipment upgrades come from the Bazaar.

Anyway, I've had a Flowstone Cudgel on my SK (now level 120) for roughly the last year and a half. I regularly search the Bazaar for upgrades, and haven't seen a 1 hander better than what he currently has, like, ever. Which seems strange. Finally saw one yesterday, looked nice, but it was 600k, so out of my price range. But it made me curious why I hadn't see another one of those, and anything else, since CoV and ToL came out.

So I decided to run a search on EQResource, filtering on SK, any 1 hander, HP > 5500, and not NO DROP. The returned list had a whopping 5 items in it, with my current Flowstone Cudgel being #4. #3 is a ToV-wide ultra rare, so no surprise I haven't seen any in the Bazaar, it probably gets sold for multiple Krono in Gen chat. #2 (the one I saw yesterday) comes from a named in ME, so I'm surprised I haven't seen that one more often. I did see one comment on ZAM for the named, apparently his shield drops A LOT, so perhaps it's just a very rare drop. And #1 is a ToL-wide ultra rare drop, so ditto on the reasons for not seeing it.

So, my question is two-fold:
    1 - Why do they seem to be shunning knights when it comes to 1-handed upgrades?
    2 - What are people pursuing for upgrades as they move into CoV/ToL?

Right now, my only plan is to make a ToV TS upgrade using an ore from a named, which is a slight upgrade, but nothing to write home about.
  2. Treiln Augur

So it’s not as complicated as “shunning knights”. It’s just that only 12.5% of all the classes can use said weapons. Same argument can be made for Warrior only 1 handed weapons and Knights 2 handed weapons.

And from what I recall, it was 1 weapon per tier.
    Tier 1: one 1 handed weapon, one 2 handed weapon (knight only)
    Tier 2: one 1 handed weapon, one 2 handed weapon (knight only)

Then I believe starting with RoS they got back into player made gear/weapons as it’s own “pre” tier. That’s as far as I’ve gotten and remember. Only kicker is: the only “no-drop” comes from the player made ones. So if you think about it, that’s one per expansion, plus any “ultra-rare / chase” ones that come out with specific expansions.

But it basically boils down to my first point. Only 2 out of 16 classes fall under “knight” category. Same reason there’s usually only one EM earring per tier as well. It’s not shunning. It’s just lack of cross use. Which is fine by me. The further from homogenization between classes we are the better off we are (imo)
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That would be a really good argument, except for the fact that there a dozens of really awesome Knight 2-handers for sale in the Bazaar, such that you can pick one up for less than 20Kpp. In fact, some of them are priced low enough, they could be considered good tribute fodder!

Per my comment about what was posted on ZAM for the named, it may just be a case of, yes, we did code a drop for knight 1-hander, but, hey, sorry it's that named's rare drop ;)

I think that's the answer. It would co-incide with your comment about EM earrings. Yes, of course, there's only one coded. However, I see plenty of them offered in the Bazaar. Which tells me, they are regularly obtainable on that particular named.
    Treiln likes this.
  4. Treiln Augur

But the question is: what’s the caliber of quality on the knight 2 handers?

You’re holding onto a 1 hander from ToV? So there’s only CoV and ToL for upgrades. Could be the same thing for those 2 handed weapons. They’re older (not ToL t2), and thus aren’t useful.

And then the real reason behind the quantity of 2handers. Knights try to use 2handers as much as possible for the increase to DPS. As such, 2handers are going to be farmed/made a lot more often than the 1handers. At least that’s how I see it.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

No doubt a lot of knights will favor a 2-hander, but as a scrub, I prefer the additional AC/defense a shield offers. Also just remembered, the 1-handers proc a decent rune, the 2Hers proc DDs, so that re-inforces the offense vs. defense approach to the two weapons.

And why would people keep farming the 2-handers, when there's obviously no market (based on the cheap Bazaar prices)? The more logical conclusion is, the 2 handers are a very common drop for whatever named they come from, so they get offered for peanuts in the Bazaar.

It doesn't help that there was no T1 CoV drop, that might have made things better.

Anyway, I just got a ToV ore last night, so I'll be making the ToV TS 1 hander today or tomorrow, and that should be fine for now.

Though, your comments do intrigue me. I think I'll pick up one of those cheap 2 handers from ToL, and see how I hold up against the mobs in my regular hunting grounds. I can always swap back to sword and board for names, if I need to!
  6. Treiln Augur

1) popular and easy camp
    2) since 2handers are more commonly used, they’re more often upgraded, making more hit the market? Lol

And that’s how I tank. 2 hander for trash, sword and board for Nameds
  7. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Important clarification: are those Knight 2-handers, or 2-handers Knights can use? There is an ocean of difference between the two.

As far as 1-handers go, there is one 1-hander per tier for Knights. For better or worse, we can't use "generic" 1-handers.

Your best affordable upgrade would be the TS version from ToL (Luclinite Ensanguined War Sword). You'd just need to get an ore from a named or mission.
    Gialana and Szilent like this.
  8. Szilent Augur

There are exactly precisely the same number of knight 1h as there are knight 2h in every set of weapons going through the last six expansions. All the attunable tiers that can show up in bazaar, all the not-attunable tiers that have to be looted, all the craftable tiers, all the raid tiers. One knight 1h in each, one knight 2h in each. Seven expansions if you count the upcoming Night of Shadows. Exactly one knight 1h, exactly one knight 2h. The Same.

There's an attunable set of everything (including exactly one of each knight 1h & 2h & each other kind of weapon for other classes) in ToV, but not CoV because levels didn't go up.

Since levels went up again, there's an attunable set in Terror of Luclin (including exactly one of each knight 1h & 2h & each other kind of weapon for other classes).

for your 120 knight, the right things to get are

Faded Bloodied Luclinite War Sword and
    Faded Bloodied Luclinite Two Headed Spear

They will be upgraded with matching craft buckets as soon as you can get new bricks in the upcoming expansion
    Treiln, Syylke_EMarr and Gialana like this.
  9. Gialana Augur

{Edit: the first 2 points were posted by others while I was researching, but I'm leaving them in :)}
    There is a T1 knight 1-hander in CoV, Walrus Bone Bludgeon. But you'd only see it in the bazaar on FV because all T1 (and higher) gear is no drop in CoV.

At least in ToV, CoV, and ToL, there's only 1 knight-usable 1-hander in T1, but there are 4 knight-usable 2-handers, only 1 of which is knight only.

If you're on FV, you can expect to see more knight-usable 2-handers for sale since one drops from Morwena Undertow. That named is killed a lot for a different drop.
  10. Riou EQResource

Generally only the level increase Expansions Tier 1 gear is trade-able which currently is every other expansion atm

Beyond that is just the super low drop rate expansion wide rares drops (that have stats of previous expansion Raid gear)
  11. Nightops Augur

Availability of knight 1hs in the bazaar comes down to the frequency of spawns and ease of camping the named. Your flowstone cudgel comes from an easily killed and camped named in ToV where as the ToL knight 1h comes from Maidens, but not a lot of people camp this area from what I've seen. Not to mention, ToL named mobs seem to have a very bad drop % balance which makes one item seem very rare compared to the others. Sometimes this drop rate can be like 1 in 10 kills.

The same thing can be said for the named in Cobalt scar which drops the CoV knight 1h. Pikebreath has several PHs but they are spread out across a larger area and now, after the lvl increase, people don't return to farm old content unless its for augs.

Best bit of advice is for you to get the trade skill items and make the best 1h weapon you can. Worst case... get into a group mission in ToL and likely all the trade skill ores will be rot list late in the expansion.
  12. Tucoh Augur

^^^

Any weapon that isn't one of the crafted T3 or raid weapons is peasant tier. The ore to use that is a pretty common drop and should be feasible to get from a rotting named mob.