Question on AA priority for a level 105 SK

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Tatanka, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, I've now tapped out auto-grant AAs on my SK, and am starting the grind with earning and placing AAs. There are a ton to choose among, and was hoping people could throw out some recommendations for the 5-10 top choices which must be taken first. Again, assume all AAs through TDS are done, so just looking at the top choices when you're 105.

Thanks!
  2. Szilent Augur

Tanking passives of course - Combat Agility/Stability, Armor of Wisdom, Physical Enhancement, Shield Block - but I wouldn't stop leveling to get them.

Hastened Lifetaps, though, I might divert some exp for. More densely chaining the top two Touches is a powerful upgrade over having to use the third to stay busy casting.

Final two ranks of Spell Casting Reinforcement are a substantial power gain via extensions to Lich/coil buffs most especially, but also some other stuff.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for.

As to the first part.... "Armor of Wisdom".... I had CA/CS, PE, and shield block already on my list. But AoW, at just 6 AC per 20 AA spent, didn't seem all that interesting. Is just 6AC worth it? My initial feeling was that I'd have this at the end of the "useful" AAs, right before starting the "semi-useful AAs" ;)

The other part I may be missing, I never really learned the whole "softcap" issue with AC, since I've never played a tank before. Is this AoW AC counted outside of the softcap (whatever that is), so it's more useful than an extra 6AC on an item?
  4. Szilent Augur

These aren't a night & day difference for each rank trained. Not AoW, nor CA/CS/PE. Their deal is that they're modifying something that does matter. If you'd rather get something else first? Go for it. Whenever you do buy them, your tank character will be stronger for having done so, and so advising an unknown player (which you are) to get them is a fundamentally solid choice for game forums. Doesn't matter whether you're good or bad or your "style", your tank class character having more AC will make it a stronger tanking character. To the 1000s of us that don't have to spend time grinding your AA for you, there's no question of "worth". The "value" is infinite compared to other AA because this one is guaranteed to matter in pretty much every moment.

Softcap means if training a level of this AA makes your displayed mitigation AC go up by 6 then it's doing the same thing as equipping a ...ring/bracer/whatever with 18 higher base AC. As a knight, you gain 1/3 the displayed AC on (non-shield) items when you upgrade. Warriors gain 0.35x instead of 0.33, yay warriors, on down to int casters with a 0.25 multiplier. Shields are special, shields aren't softcapped, so if you equip a shield with 18 higher AC, your AC goes up by 18. Full information here, ignore references to "displayed" AC since the UI was fixed not to lie in that way a couple years ago.
    Tatanka and Nennius like this.
  5. Kloodge Elder

Put 1 point in to CS and watch how much your armor goes up. I think you may be disappointed. I'd wait on CS and AoW. It's just too many AA to grind out for the relatively tiny AC gain.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, I saved up about 200 AAs (doesn't take long with the bonus running ;) ) and clicked "Can Purchase" or whatever it says in the AA window. I went through everything and picked the ones I thought would help the most. I have to say, the ones mentioned already did seem like the best choices, even though they only contribute a little, since they help all the time.

I was able to take both ranks of Shield Block, and the first two ranks of Physical Enhancement. I'll finish PE off as I get more AAs, and then probably Planar Power, Gen. Sturdiness, Natural Durability, and CA/CS. After that, I'm not sure, but that should keep me busy for a while :)

Didn't even really look at the Focus tab yet. That's another whole kettle of fish, LOL!

Thanks again.