Question about websites for EQ guilds

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Risiko Augur

It's been many years since I have setup a website for a guild, and I know things have likely changed.

I wanted to see what software packages current EQ guilds recommend and use for their websites.

DKP
    As far as I know, most everybody uses EQDKP-Plus. Is this still the case, or is there something else that is used today?

Forums
    In the past, phpBB was used a lot. What is the forum software of choice today?

CMS (home page of the guild site)
    I have no idea what people use these days. Joomla? Something else?

Thanks
  2. Krrill Journeyman

No one really builds their own stuff. There are several sites with pre made site templates for all your needs as a guild. Many offer integration with voice chat systems like teamspeak, mumble, or discord. Sites like enjin or gamerlaunch .
  3. Risiko Augur

I'm not the kind to settle for a generic solution, so I will likely create my own.
  4. Vanrau Augur

I use IPB for my forums/CMS and eqdkp plus for my DKP site on both of my sites through Amazon AWS EC2.
  5. Miena Elder

I would stick with phpbb and eqdkp-plus. There's a built in bridge so your users can easily login with the same info etc. Believe you can create your own bridge for other forum software if you want, but in general I don't see any forum software that is worth that extra work/effort.

Also eqdkp-plus actually has an article system for the main "news page" if that's what you're looking for you won't even need additional stuff. There are also some extensions/addons to the main page for things like recruitment needs or progression if you want things like that I never delved too deep into that though.
  6. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Remind Ogre of young monk who try to learn monking by waxing floor. All day wax on, all day wax off. Never become monk. Still wax on, still wax off. A lot of second thing Ogre think.
    Nolrog and Risiko like this.
  7. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

I was going to mention for him to talk to you. But I figured you were helping enough guilds make their DKP sites and websites. :p
  8. Zanarnar Augur

Might I suggest if you decide to roll your own DKP system... be ready for what your getting yourself into ;) (speaking as someone who did just that + a bidbot to take bids/do attendance/etc etc; and before anyone asks... NO, noone else can have it as I don't feel like maintaining multiple rule-sets within the bidbot ;) )
  9. Rovell Elder

Hi Risiko,

I built <Resolute>'s website on Wordpress... www.EQResolute.com and it's been fun to update along the way. I found a theme I liked on themeforest and used that instead of a free one. The benefit of the Wordpress CMS is that you control everything. The blogging format is perfect for progress updates.

We decided to stick with the tried and true EQDKP. I know there are some other systems being used by guilds now but EQDKP does everything we want it to do.

Our forums are Simple Machines with a theme from SMFTricks.

All in all, and I'm extremely biased, I think we have one of the nicest websites of any EQ guild currently playing on TLP and/or Live :)
  10. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Managing a guild is probably enough work on its own. Doing the tools from scratch might just drive you crazy. I can see doing your webpage yourself, but a CMS based system will be less hassle. But for DKP, I'd enjoy the fruits of others labor on that one.
    Nolrog likes this.
  11. Risiko Augur

I really appreciate everybody's input.

I installed EQDKP-Plus for DKP and phpBB for the forums, but I have yet to look in to how to bridge the two. That sounds like a great idea honestly. I just need to research how it is done.

I haven't decided on a CMS yet, but I am looking at Joomla or WordPress right now. I'm going to take a look at Resolute's site to see how their WordPress looks. That might decide it for me right there.

As for running the guild and the website stuff, I am not going to run the guild. I will be an officer. I'm just handling all of the server setup for the site since that's basically what I do for work (professional web application developer). That being said, my career is in the Microsoft technology stack, and all of this is Linux. So... yeah... lol. At least I managed to setup a server, install EQDKP, and install phpBB. A lot of configuration and customization still to go.

The guild has not been publicly announced yet as some people are still active on Agnarr, but suffice to say there will be an announcement on the guild recruitment forums coming soon looking for hardcore-minded raiders for Coirnav server looking to hit it hard day one (minus the bat phone).
  12. Protocol Dragon Defender

I've used Joomla and WordPress and I have to say that WordPress is 100% my recommendation. It's just so simple and easy to use and navigate, it does exactly what you want for a guild website.

For forums I recommend Xenforo. It's what we use at FacelessGaming.org, FiresOfHeaven.org and ProgressionEQ.com
  13. Risiko Augur

Am I seeing that correctly that Xenforo costs $140 minimum?
  14. Vanrau Augur

To bridge eqdkp plus to your phpbb forums, in the admin menu on eqdkp plus select the bridge management. You'll need the database name, username and password for your forum database. And you'll need the database prefix your forums use to look up the user database table.
    Risiko likes this.
  15. Raltar Augur

Most guilds I have been apart of across various games recently have used Discord instead of forums. Forums kind of suck. The only thing our guild uses a website for is DKP these days.
  16. Protocol Dragon Defender

Yeah it's around there.
  17. Rage_Sk Journeyman

Started with EQDKP plus ... ended up hating it. just wrote my own java tools for log parsing and page creation. Log parse tool took the longest to create out of all of it. Allows to be set up off any hosting site, depends how much work you really want to put in with coding and your experience with html / css.
  18. Risiko Augur

19. Geroblue Augur