Question about spell casting and moving.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Azkiger, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Azkiger New Member

New player here, been casually leveling up my necro (favorite class so far) and I've come across a problem. It seems I have to stand still and remain still for a good second before attempting to cast a spell. If I try and cast right when I stop moving it ends up not casting at all because it tells me I was moving.

Having to stand still for a second really hurts because it essentially adds a full second or slightly more of cast time to each of my spells.

Is the problem on my end (lag or something) or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!
  2. Gladare Augur

It's part of the game, not something you're doing wrong. I believe your connection may play a factor as in how long it takes the game to realize you stopped moving. An old trick was to start turning left or right when you stop, then start your spell. So stop, hit the key to turn, then click the spell to cast right after you start turning. You don't have to turn a circle or anything though. You can also change directions while the spell finishes.
    moogs likes this.
  3. wenlaya Journeyman

its just one of the many things about a 15 year old game that you learn to live with.
  4. Azkiger New Member

Thanks a lot for the info/tips. I'll certainly give it a shot tonight when I get on to play. :)
  5. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Yes, the server needs to confirm that you've stopped so you have to wait. Turning seems to update the server. A slight turn is sufficient.

Also, if you get back to the same spot you started casting when the spell completes casting, you'll avoid the channelling check. A corner is useful for testing this. Start casting while all the way in a corner, run around, and get back to the corner before it's done casting.
  6. doktartp Augur

Channeling was my friend, as long as you start and stop casting at the near exact point, you can run around for the duration of the spell and stop a split second before it lands.
    Like in Vex thall raids back at 60, looking at the floor, you could move back to your tile through a push AE before you spell lands and be ok.

Your best bet is turning as you start your cast.
  7. moogs Augur

Yep, all new players should learn to do this. Especially classes that rely on kiting, such as necros and druids. All you need to do is take your finger off of the Move Forward key (W for most of us) and cast. Turning slightly to the left or right without also moving forward/backward will nearly always allow you to cast more or less on the move.