Question about returning and where to go from here

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Vincerson, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Vincerson New Member

I recently decided to return to EQ after quitting at OOW release. Starting fresh here as i cant recover my old account. Currently level 71 and wondering what the best course of action is for somebody who wants to eventually do single group content at 105. So the question is. Upgrade to heroic and go from there or attempt to progress through content normally? I'd prefer to do the progression myself but just not sure if there will be interest for it at this point.

Thanks,
    Vinc
  2. Darkark Augur

Make sure you're doing your daily quests from Teek in the Plane of Knowledge. Get your level 75 daily, and two or three below that (70, 65, 60) all in one hit, then go knock them out.

Heroic Adventures (HAs) are now available from level 75, so you're really close to being able to start getting stuck into those. You will need the Call of the Forsaken expansion (CotF), and later there are some more available in The Darkened Sea expansion (TDS).

Basically, these are short exp grinds that contain a set of tasks you need to complete, where upon completion you are awarded a (sizeable) stack of experience. Each counts towards your CotF progression, each has a chance to spawn a named that drops decent loot, and each named counts towards your Hunter's achievements, which award you large size bags (type /ach for a list of further achievements and their rewards).

There is also a "daily" concept for HAs, where instead of daily kill quests from Teek in PoK you get daily HA quests from Guard Hamarn in Ethernere. Each HA from the list of HAs given to you is worth double the exp (I think? maybe 1.5x) normally gained upon completion.

Outside of HAs ...

I wouldn't worry too much about progression at this point. When you do get there, in your down time you can start working it for:
    - Rain of Fear (RoF), where as you progress, stats increase on one of the best augments (Stone of the Landing) in the game still to this day;
    - CotF, as you complete progression here you earn Heroic AAs (Hero's Fortitude, Resolution and Vitality) and several useful items;
    - TDS, more Heroic AAs, access to higher tiered zones ...... and a dinosaur illusion! :)

For the more quest/tradeskill orientated, you can start working on your Shawl aug now too:
    - Shawl 1.0 (Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl) -> Shawl 2.0 (Blessed Serilis Prayer Shawl) -> Shawl 3.0 (Prayer Shawl of the Duke)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think the best thing you can do is find a good active casual guild and get advice there as you progress in levels.

But part of your question is going heroic or not. Going heroic gives you some advantages other then just jumping to level 85. It also maxes out many of your skills for you. You receive progression bonuses from old content such as DoN content and older (you can do this content yourself but the DoN content is time consuming due to faction requirements.). You also get decked out in decent gear for level 85. So if you don't mind spending the money there are some major gains other then just level 85 from going heroic. That being said its all doable without heroic but if you want all the bonuses the heroics get its just much more of a time sink.

Your biggest advantage will be finding a good casual guild. Once you get in range of 105 if you are interested in raiding you can start looking for a raid guild.