Question about buying expansions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Risiko Augur

I have a couple questions about buying expansions for DBG.

1. Is there a way to see the expansion page on the website for previous expansions? All I ever seen available for both EQ1 and EQ2 is the currently for sale expansion. I'm not sure why you would not make the previous expansion pages still viewable.
    2. Is there a reason you don't sale each of the previous expansions? I am sure that there are people that would buy them just to get the bonuses that come with each of them. For instance, the premium version of an expansion that is 5 expansions old would surely still be valuable to someone for $20+ just to get the teleport/illusion/pet/etc bonuses from them.
    Just curious why you wouldn't want to keep that potential revenue stream available.
    By the way, this question is for both EQ1 and EQ2. I play both games.
  2. S33k3r Augur

It would be nice to get some of the old rewards as well.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Elskidor Augur

Maybe it leads to confusion for some and they might buy the wrong expansion but think they'll be up-to-date? If I remember correctly, my friend talked me into playing EQ ages ago and not knowing any better I bought the wrong expansion at Walmart. I can't really think of any other reason why they wouldn't want to keep those for sale forever. I've picked up collections that can not be used unless have the RoF collectors edition.... yeah, never happening.
  4. Magickon Augur

You could make the same argument about seasonal items in the market place. My favorite shield ornament is only sold during Halloween. I bought it last year on another server.... can't buy it until it goes active again.

Sometimes they feel a limited time offer creates urgency, so more sales over all.
  5. Risiko Augur

Maybe they could have the /claim items from previous expansions for sale as a special thing every year when the new expansion goes on sale. That way if you wanted the rewards that came with the premium version of House of Thule for example, there would be a House of Thule Expansion Bonus Item Pack for sale during the month of October.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Their preferred thing is to have people buy expansions when they are current and not on sale. Having bonus items only awarded on the current expansion helps do this. And if they offered old expansions for sale (basically just the bonus items) and charged the full expansion price people would then complain about that. Offering them for a reduced price encourages people not to buy every expansion and just go back and buy the bonus items. But if they were interested in trying to sell past bonus items for the full cost of the expansion that would be cool. I just think there would be too much whining about wanting it at a discount.

For Daybreak Devs to justify the costs of developing expansions they need strong expansion sales of whatever the current expansion is. Anything else MAY bring in more income down the line but will be completely useless if current income from the latest expansion causes the higher ups to say expansions are no longer profitable.

Some may say just do it for the older expansions but give an inch people want a mile they would want it as an ongoing thing. At least that is my opinion.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I also had this question - why is there no concise list - and why we don't get the /claim items from past expansions editions when we purchase the latest.

It is now part of the disclaimer on buying expansions that it only includes the expansion not the previous claim items associated with the expansion. It does allow you to get claims for the special sale like now.

I started compiling a list and some of it is in this post below, as time went on I could find more here and there by googling "eq announces new expansion" or stuff similar and some listed in Alla and the official EQ site but are really buried. But I lost interest.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/what-do-you-really-get.245885/
  8. NeverPayForLag Augur

Yes, what I said in one post - no clear information on our "drug-dealer"... but perhaps this description fits well for the information we get. Like in every sect the users pay the bill without really knowing what they get. Bad enough that we as customers make the work DGB should do... :(

To call a game Free2Play is an irritation in itself if the most money makes the game for extensions or addons which let you "cheat" through the game - psychologically this is a genious way to earn money. I always laugh about people complaining about things while they pay their status through the game. But this system works well in business! Since this so-called "free to play" has been invented the industry tried hard to get the most out of it - it is never free because some parts cannot be played so it is definitely a wrong or fraudulent play of words. If you want to play the game fully you have to pay. But it is a nice psychological programming to lure customers into the game.

If you have exact information then you can decide exactly if that thing makes sense or you don't need it. But if you use shady words and descriptions which manipulates the mind into thinking what the customers wishes the most then the propability for the customer to buy it is much higher. An the imagination and theirfore emotion is always stronger than the logical mind (as long as you are no authist). Meanwhile organisations work against it in my country. I hope that in the US there will be a case too.
  9. Magickon Augur

I am assuming you have also written several posts along the lines of "PlayStation plus games are not free!"

Eq *is* free to play. If you have a conflict with it also having premium features (expansions) that require payment... just don't play thay content until it's free. It's not hard to understand.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

/Disagree

It is not a childrens product, it is not unsafe to use, there is nothing shady about the business model.

Not being able to safely navigate EQ’s business model is a tad too snowflaky, and I do not agree with selfvictimization in this particular case.
  11. Febb Augur

You can log into the game and play for free. That's not a play on words, it's a fact. No one is forcing you to buy anything in game, that is your choice. They even say up front what the costs will be in order to get certain features in game through the marketplace.

Just because you have to pay in order to access certain features as a free to pay account doesn't even way shape or form mean it's fraudulent. To say that is absurd. If you want those features either sub gold or pay up for the feature. This is simple capitalism, you pay for what you want. If you can't afford the product then find something you can do that you can afford.
  12. NeverPayForLag Augur

Either my english is to bad to explain that or you all are to involved to much in the addiction and have little clue about jurisdictical issues in that area what I wanted to point to. If somebody is really interested he can take a look at the last cases in the EU and the rules and laws behind it if you sell things (assuming that anybody here writing has an own company and exactly that problem). Nevermind. A discussion about that will be only a waste of time then, except somebody has fun to exchange opinions rather than legal issues or problems at the limit of the usual rules.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or we don't live in the EU and don't care about the laws there.

Brexit Now!
    Tatanka likes this.
  14. Febb Augur

Are you talking about the EU game gambling laws regarding loot boxes? None of those laws have anything to do with the FTP character features in the marketplace as none of those contain gambling. If you are talking about the heritage crates then you might have an argument.
  15. NeverPayForLag Augur

nope, wrong assumption :p
    so there are obviously more who see that..?

Yes and the most people meanwhile in GB regret it. Congratulations. Even London wanted to part from UK for this stupidy. Grats! I don't even want to live their - I have relatives there... crazy isle... saw this week the self defence laws.. my condolences to a country which is electing step by step their own rights away. That is the advantage of a democracy. Free speech. Even when the education is not present which is a necessity if people have to choose. You can elect the people who remove your democratic rights step by step and when it is too late and the people wake up then the whining is big. But who knows - perhaps the step-by-step-whining is not better.

I better try to inform people about things which are not ok in the hope that enough complain so that the cause has some pressure to not do it again :p

(sorry for the messy english, the translator is sometimes a bit off ;))
  16. Flatchy Court Jester

(sorry for the messy english, the translator is sometimes a bit off ;))[/quote]

You dont do too bad, your bitchiness shines through nicely! ;)