Question about account ownership

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by xmPradah, Nov 13, 2019.

1. xmPradah Not a dude

The recent wave of suspensions/bans had me thinking about account ownership, specifically in my case where my husband and I both play... half the accounts are in his name, and half are in my name.

In a familial situation, is it strictly named ownership, or can we cross-contaminate each other's accounts with our own seedy characters? What about when minors are playing and accounts are in their parents names?

While I appreciate the input of the community, I'd like to limit speculation and derailments - and ask that people only reply if they have first hand knowledge, or are a member of the DBG CS/GM team.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Private conversations with Daybreak employees happen in PM's, not on open forums begging people to not chime in.
  3. xmPradah Not a dude

I actually asked people to respond if they have first hand knowledge... I don't want this to turn into a storm of a post with a bunch of speculation that doesn't go anywhere.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

Off the point, but "...cross-contaminate each other's accounts with our own seedy characters?" Nice phrase and it begs elucidation.
  5. xmPradah Not a dude

Most our accounts are subbed right now, but if they weren't, we may chose to only sub the older accounts. If 3 of those accounts were "mine", and only 1 was "his" - could he create/play one of his chars on one of my accounts? They are seedy bc it's probably a race/class combo I wouldn't like!
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Whoever is on the credit card owns the account. Anyone else using the account is in violation.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. xmPradah Not a dude

OK, what about FTP accounts? I know that not all our accounts have credit cards attached.
  8. code-zero Augur

I once asked about my daughters account and the bottom line of the reply was that they don't care if it's family
    xmPradah likes this.
  9. xmPradah Not a dude

Sorry this can be taken two different ways... they don't care as in "they don't care if you share the account" or "they don't care, only the owner can have access"?
  10. code-zero Augur

As in if I play my daughters character when she's not around and they said they had no issues with that at all
    xmPradah likes this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If any issues come up on an account regarding bans/suspensions,charge backs, purchases, ANYTHING it will be based on who the account owner is.

I know accounts on are linked by email address. If you open a petition on one account you can see it from any account with the same email address.

The only safe way to consider things is that anything done on account is going to affect that account. It doesn't matter who does it on the account short of DBG being able to detect your account was hacked.

So you let someone use the account and they do something to get banned the account will be banned.

I think this helps clear things up even if it is regarding a ban and not a suspension.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217579038-How-do-I-fill-out-a-ban-appeal-

the following section from the link above:

Some excuses not to use:
    • It was my little brother/cousin/friend/roommate that did it, not me. (Actions are taken against the account, not the individual. You are responsible for what happens on your account at all times.)
    • I wasn't even cheating on THAT account. (If you are only cheating on some of your accounts, you will probably end up getting them all banned.)
    • I only cheat in other games, not this one. (Many cheat programs work in multiple games. Please don't expect us to believe you were just cheating in another game at the same time you were playing ours.)
    • I didn't even play on the day I was banned. (Some bans happen immediately, but not all. Just because you were banned on Friday doesn't mean you were cheating on Friday.)
    • I was only testing the cheat software. (We were also testing our cheat detection software. Both tests were successful.)
    • I only did it because those other guys were cheating and killed me. (They were banned too. They are also ahead of you in the ban appeal queue.)
  12. KermittheFroglok Augur

NO ONE “OWNS” THE ACCOUNT except arguably Daybreak (depending on how you define “account). The answer to all this is in the terms of service, section twelve, third paragraph.

https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service

What you have is a *nontransferable* license to use the account and software. So you are not allowed to sell, share, inherit, or even give away accounts. The person that originally accepted the terms of service at account inception is the licensee, billing details or credit card info being changed doesn’t change who the license is for. I pay for my other half’s account but it’s her’s and I don’t touch it, I have my own three accounts, she isn’t allowed to touch them. I think it’s a simple concept.
    xmPradah likes this.
  13. Ghubuk Augur

What is it about the recent bans that only now has you thinking about account ownership?
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Read this under ban appeal link. https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217579038-How-do-I-fill-out-a-ban-appeal-

From the above link:
    Some excuses not to use:
    • It was my little brother/cousin/friend/roommate that did it, not me. (Actions are taken against the account, not the individual. You are responsible for what happens on your account at all times.)
    • I wasn't even cheating on THAT account. (If you are only cheating on some of your accounts, you will probably end up getting them all banned.)
    • I only cheat in other games, not this one. (Many cheat programs work in multiple games. Please don't expect us to believe you were just cheating in another game at the same time you were playing ours.)
    • I didn't even play on the day I was banned. (Some bans happen immediately, but not all. Just because you were banned on Friday doesn't mean you were cheating on Friday.)
    • I was only testing the cheat software. (We were also testing our cheat detection software. Both tests were successful.)
    • I only did it because those other guys were cheating and killed me. (They were banned too. They are also ahead of you in the ban appeal queue.)
    So if your question is does it matter who is playing when action is taken against an account then no it does not matter. If your husband does something on your account and gets suspended they don't care that it wasn't you. And if action is taken against one of the accounts in your name/payment info it might be taken against all accounts.
    xmPradah likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Just wondered. The seedy part intrigued me. I wish I had a good authoritative answer to your question. I hear lots of things bandied about and they often seem to be third hand accounts of things remembered. I would hope that a dev. could jump in sometime to accurately lay out guidelines that we could count on.
    xmPradah likes this.
  16. xmPradah Not a dude

It was actually another post in this forum, where he said he had logged into a guildmates account.
  17. xmPradah Not a dude

Thank you. And no - I don't have any concerns about he or I doing anything to get banned... was really just a curiosity.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You should be all good but I think that answered things doesn't matter who does something to an account the account gets blamed.
  19. xmPradah Not a dude

My question was really just whether or not we can play each other's accounts. I have zero concerns about doing something "wrong" for them to take action against an account.
  20. Ghubuk Augur

That's a lot like asking a policeman if it is legal to go 55 in a 50. Of course the answer is no, but is he likely to pull you over....not really.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.