Quest finding vs Task Master - are quests worth it?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Gangia, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Gangia New Member

Hi.

What is the preferable way to do quests in ever-quest in old expansions:

- doing random quests if I find any?
    - doing selective quests based on the information for the internet?
    - doing quests from Task Masters?
    - doing only Epic Quests?
    - not doing any quests ?

Also, what is the difference between finding quest manually and obtaining them via task master? Does task master give random quests or how does it work?

Are quests in general worth doing - or its waste of time as rewards are junk in general?
  2. SunDrake Augur

- If you enjoy the lore or immersion from just seeing what random NPCs might be needing 5 of, or if they have any missing family or associates, then jump in and help those folks out. But I feel like 99% of quests in EQ will be disappointing for most people from a reward perspective in 2019 [exp and coin/item]

- Yes, doing very selective quests based on internet research and/or what you might hear from players in-game. The forums have some threads on what quests are actually worth doing at the time the threads were created. Some are years old, so even some of those might not be worth your time now depending on how you like to play.

- If I am remembering correctly Task Masters were Sony's real early attempts at like, guided quests. I do not believe any of these would be worth doing today outside of curiosity. I think something that improved upon and came later are quests like those found in the Hero's Journey. The Hero's Journey is something to read up on and see if that interests you. It provides enough quest objective to carry you through 4-5 level ranges, exp from kills and quest reward exp combined. It introduces you to zones after you outgrow your present ones. It has a narrative that reveals game lore. It also grants rewards that if you are starting from scratch would be upgrades [Note: this is still inferior to other gear options in some cases, but it literally rewards you with a set of gear you'd not be guaranteed from grinding kills randomly for exp] If you are working on the series and at any point realize you feel the progression isn't inspiring your enthusiasm, just leave and go find something else to do. You don't have to do every part if it feels boring, you will still be able to decide if you want to go back to it, as the Quest Journal will let you know as new content becomes available based on your level.

- Some players will find that even doing the Epic Quests are not worth their time / effort. Certain classes are still using their Epic 2.0s today for the effects provided, and they are considered 'Must-Do' if you invest enough time and love in your characters. If you find you are enjoying your character and your class, I say do the epics. Committing to that goal will kind of set you up with the resolve to work on other serious commitments to your character down the road, and those will be numerous. The lore and the exploration related to your epic quests are also part of a philosophical underpinning to your class. I personally usually always look into doing the epics if I feel like I have enough commitment to the character in question.

- I think there are a large number of players that would say, yes.. ignore quests. They are there if you like them. They are there for times you want to go experience something outside of your raid or exp grinds. But..you could certainly perform a very minimal amount of questing on your way to 110, and that'd work, too. One thing I'd note is that the way later expansions seem to work, progression is tied to quest type tasks. So if you do not want to slow your progress 1-65 [these levels can come quickly these days] know that you will have the opportunity to undertake quests, tasks, missions, adventures, etc.
    Grove likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I am more of a quest person myself. I no longer raid - just playing to have fun not stress.

Don't bother with the task master stuff - they were the first attempt at having quests like that and were not well done. Those older zones have certain mob types that only spawn at certain times of the Norrathian day. Long, drawn out and not worth it.

What I do is google a zone then choose the Allah one. Once that page is up then there are two tabs - one is "quests in " and the other is "quests starting in". So I look thru those and see if anything interests me.

Of course there are old stand bys you can't pass up:
    Bayle’s Heraldic Crest
    Satchel of the Aleran Legend 32 slot bag and Prismatic Selyrah Saddle for doing everything in an expansion (newer though)
    Baron Yosig’s Skeleton
    Bone Mask of the Ancient Iksar
    Dog Whistle

There are just so many - this helps http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/guides/quests/
  4. CrazyLarth Augur

1.Pick a goal
    2. Research the goal
    3. Research quests you can do along the way.

like I like to get larger bags.
    I research bags I found a way to get one in a specific zone.
    Research that zone- what drops also - AUGS , items , quests.
  5. Fluid Augur

You just have to be one of those kind of guys/gals. :)
    I do this quest with a passion. Completely worthless in terms of item value but in my twisted sense of humor, something my characters can't live w/o.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=67867

Getting specific on for an example, I remember a quest drop that you got at maybe level 5 or 6 that yielded an item appropriate for that level. The problem came when you needed to kill a level 27<?> MOB in Innothule Swamp to complete the quest. Of course by the time you could complete the quest, the item would be useless and if you were high enough to complete the quest, you could get much better items to twink or sell from drops. Lots of old quests went that way. I think one of the hopes for the game was there were going to be dozens of level 27+ players who would jump at the chance to help a level 5 complete a quest.

Likewise the time involved is prohibitive. I'm thinking of items like the Jagged Pine Crook. I've collected a couple of them over the years and I would guess it takes close to two months of camping the zone to get one. They were very meh even back in the day. This is a problem with the old quests, they were never updated to reflect drops so they are inappropriately weak. The quests like Magician Epic only give you a benefit for levels 50-59. Most characters can just blast through those levels using a merc. [IMG]
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

My fav for new characters/alts under level 10 is from Cresent Reach. They have a version for casters also.
    [IMG]