QOL Idea: Unique Brackets for all Invis Types

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brontus, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

A few years ago when I resumed playing EQ after a long hiatus, I noticed that round brackets appear when you are invisible. This is a very nice quality of life enchancement, because if you play in 3rd person like I do, it's very handy to look at your character and see if invis is on or off, and on/off for your group members too.

I took the liberty of using various brackets to show how each could be used to represent the other forms of invis.

[IMG]

I was thinking that this idea could be used for other types of invis, such as Sneak, Invis to Undead, Invis to Animals. When I play my rogue, I'm often in Sneak mode but I don't realize it as I have a movement buff on, so having brackets for sneak might be helpful too.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement. For those that don't want this, the devs could include a on/off toggle for this feature in options.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any feedback for this idea either pro or con. Thanks. :)
    Kattria Minx, FYAD, Kialya and 8 others like this.
  2. Brickhaus Augur

Don't people just look at their buffs? [This is a side argument that deserves longer conversation, but I have found that most of the new suggestions lately seem to be completely related to people boxing and never really looking at/manipulating specific characters. Nothing wrong with suggesting them, but it doesn't really enhance the game experience that much for people who actually play a character instead of a team most of the time.]

Also, I'd worry about anything that adds more symbols to the character name line ... cause if people can be crass/offensive/stupid, they will be. Recent human (and EQ) history has proven that to us time and time again.

Besides, who the heck plays in 3rd person? (angry masses in 5, 4, 3 ...)
    Celithan likes this.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I think this is a good idea. What about if you have more than one type on? Do they just add both?

So it might be <(Boffo)>?
    Brontus, FYAD, Syylke_EMarr and 2 others like this.
  4. minimind The Village Idiot

I like this. It would help when moving groups through new places or when people have to use potions.

"Hey, Monk04! Your IVU is down!"
    Brontus likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Hmm not sure on this.

I am used to looking at my buff bar to see which I have and my rogue's sneak hot button stays depressed when he is sneaking so that is easy to see. So it would be a learning curve. I kinda like it

Might be very helpful. I think a short little quest in the tutorial or from Secalna Galnor would help explain this a lot - not that too many new players or even older players do that set of quests .
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Looking at your buffs if fine when you don't have that many and know exactly where the invisibility buff landed. But as the game progresses the buff bar gets larger and larger and it can be hard to track an invisibility buff.

Not to mention it would be very helpful for tracking invisibility on other players and not have to search through their entire buff list to ensure they are safe.
    minimind and Graag Baash like this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So our max is 42 and was last updated 10 years ago with TDS the 21st expansion in 2013. Not seeing the buff bar getting bigger as the game is progressing, but the game did progress to 29 expansions. :D
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Graag Baash New Member

Yes yes 1000x yes to this suggestion.
    At LEAST for Invis and Invis to Undead.

I think about this too much: why after 24 years hasn't this seemingly small change been introduced?
    Yea yea I know nothing is a small change on a code base this old.

I suspect it involves having to deal with stacking cases as Fanra points out.

But I would accept:
    (somePlayerInvis)
    <aPlayerIVU>
    [aPlayerWithBothIVUAndInvis]

if using two chars to indicate stacked cases.

"Looking at your buffs" just is not that easy at higher levels as Waring said, especially when you're fresh from the buff pile.

Please consider this addition.
    Brontus and minimind like this.
  9. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

No.

Literally anyone who made it past 2002.

How about <(Soandso)> as an option for invis + IVU?
    Graag Baash likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I like that idea for stacking invis and you could just combine all the brackets for the different ones they have.
    Graag Baash likes this.
  11. Cloud the Third Augur

I don't know if they will ever add it but I would love to be able to set buff slots on me and my target.

The reason people hate looking at buffs is because the order is never the same and depending on which type of invs you have it may be a different icon etc. It can getting anonying and I know some of this order has to do with the way dispell works starting from slot 1->end slot for removables. This is why we had buffs for dispelling ae raid mobs etc.

I would like a way to hard code certain slots similar to how extended window works and being able to put certain people on it.

I want slow type 1,2,3,4 etc in the fine line (as a bard I have 2 types of slows I normally use req of dream and slow clicky sword which also is the same type as the horn slow so need at least 2 slows), maybe through mez as well at the end of the slows.
    I want my dots to be ordered fire, ice, disease, poison, magic on the next line.
    I want my BB / shout debuff on the 3rd line.
    I want all other debuffs on the 4th line.

This would make it so easy for me to see what spells of mine have landed on the mob,

I would like the same ability to order buffs on myself. I also would love for them to get rid of song window because it was fine when there was only songs on there but now it is annoying trying to find if you have a Heal over time buff because some of the procs and spells go to song and others go to buff window etc. So a way to organize all my buffs by type would be really nice to see which buff types I may be missing.

I have at times removed every buff from myself and recast all of them just to get it ordered the way I want.
    Graag Baash likes this.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

<guildname> brackets are already in use.
    minimind likes this.
  13. Cloud the Third Augur

Guilds just have perma IVU.
    minimind, Fanra and Fenthen like this.
  14. Celephane Augur

The current brackets just indicate you are seeing something you would not otherwise see, because you can see invis. You don't see the other things because you aren't undead or an animal.
  15. Iven the bard

Basically it is a good idea to have different indicators for invis conditions and you made an alluring presentation but there are some flaws:

1. "<>" are already the brackets for the guild name (Example)
    2. What if several invis conditions do stack ? Hide + sneak + Invisibility buff + IvU/tU buff could look like <([name])>.
    3. Sneaking is not a full invis condition, but hide is one. Technically hide is just the same than invisibility spells which have different tiers. Shroud of Stealth is Invisibility T2 / T3.

Different bracket types seem to be a bad solution and many veteran players won't like them. A color code for the standard brackets would be more discreet but it also does make things more complicated as an invis condition hierarchy has to be defined (Like here). Most players never had a problem with the current condition in 24 years so the "cure" could kill the patient.

In original EQ the indicator for sneaking was a midi sound file that got played. Dunno what happened to it, maybe it got disabled.
  16. Iven the bard

That is a strange interpretation. o_O
  17. Iven the bard

Interesting hierarchy and interpretation of "full" invis because everything inside angled brackets [ ] is juridically invis and non-existant and could be added as a note. It is similar to the 4-corner rule which is often part of application forms and ballot papers. A signature inside a 4-corner field is a blanko cheque/credit when not putting it inside angle brackets.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

What I would rather see than this proposal is to have something around the mobs name (brackets, an asterisk, whatever) that lets me know the mob can see me. Otherwise, when exploring a new area with various invises, I still have to sit there and con every stinking mob to find out if any of them can see me.
    FYAD likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think you would want something that shows how they con to you and if they are going to attack you. Just because they see you or not doesn't mean you don't also need to determine if they want to attack you or not.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Fair enough, by my point remains, this would be more useful than many different brackets showing which invises/sneaks I have running.