Q4 2021: EG7 and Daybreak post huge revenues

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I hope that means EQ1 development will get more resources...
    Hobitses, Szilent and Fanra like this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

Once again it appears Everquest profits will be invested in other titles. Meanwhile we can't get the lag fixed.
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. uberkingkong Augur

Well I didn't need an article to tell me this but nice to know.

1.EQ has community resource council, how often do they do that?
    2. They working on giving us roadmap, how often do they do that?
    3. 64 bit, that's a lot of work, have to make content that requires 64 bit now. A lot more work to do.

I expect stuff like this from games that are doing really well as the article mentions the game is doing really well. No surprise to me.
    Wdor, klanderso and Nennius like this.
  5. Angahran Augur

so the same thing that every company has done for the last 20 years ?
  6. uberkingkong Augur

1. They have community resource council, that's a lot of effort to do. time consuming.
    2. Roadmaps for general public, that's a lot of effort to do. time consuming.
    3. They made Overseer, thats a lot of effort, its completely new thing.
    4. Expansion, given.
    5. 64 bit. Thats a lot of effort, time consuming
    6. New UI engine, thats a lot of effort, time consuming.

That's a lot of investment into EQ. They could be making a new game if they did even more.
    So I wouldn't say EQ is not putting resources into this game. They got a lot going on.
    Wdor, Hobitses, Skuz and 3 others like this.
  7. Metanis Bad Company

OK, the picture isn't totally bleak, but someone could put a MUCH longer list together of current issues which remain open and unfixed.
    Fenthen and Jumbur like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im not satisfied until we have a modernized 3d-engine that supports controllable mouse-turning, even when it skips a few frames.

I do appreciate that they are already spending time and resources on EQ, but we are not there yet...There is still room for improvement. :)
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In before the armchair quarterbacks make an infinite number of assumptions.
    Hobitses, Coagagin and Nennius like this.
  10. Sobmre Augur

yeah, something tells me they wont sell as many expansions this year in q4
    Moege and Fenthen like this.
  11. zleski Augur

The 64-bit migration is part of how lag is addressed. It's not an overnight fix.
    Wdor, Nolrog, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Assuming that, because EQ's profitable, EQ gets more resources is backwards to corporate thinking. In a profitable IP like EverQuest corporate bean counters, decision-makers, and board members will absolutely take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to EQ.

Translation: EverQuest gets nothing but what it needs to sustain those profits. The chances that EG7 will look at potential profits of an already profitable franchise is about the same chance that there will be an EverQuest sequel (ie damn close to zero).

Keep dreaming, dreamers.
    Wdor and Fenthen like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That seems like a very pessimistic way to look at it when we have seen the roadmap and what they are planning for the future. It seems that they are looking to fix things in EQ to help increase the profits.
    Hobitses, Skuz, Sancus and 1 other person like this.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I agree. It is pessimistic - but based in fact. EQ's profits have been, without fail, siphoned off year over year for other projects - for literally decades.

Before I give them an inch of optimism, I want to see every bullet on that roadmap completed and rolled out. It's high time they actually invest in this franchise that has been paying their bills. Until that happens, I'm going to assume they're just pulling the old "Potomac Two-Step".
    Fenthen likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I say you are being pessimistic in the fact that you seem to believe that they can't change based on desires of current owners and management desires.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Change is possible, but past experience virtually demands a large dose of pessimism in this case. I will hope, but I will not be too hopeful.

But...if the current owners do decide to spend more on EQ a huge effort toward reducing lag would be greatly appreciated by many of us. Once again, I will hope.
    Wdor, Hobitses, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Tbh, I do believe DBG plans to follow their posted roadmap. And Im also happy that it contains more ambitious projects(like the future UI-revamp).
    Both the 64bit upgrade and the UI-revamp, is more ambitious than what we have seen in the previous years. So apparently EG7 is investing more resources in EQ1, compared to the previous owners.
    I honestly don't think the pessimism is justified this time. :)
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

As someone burned by buying Landmark Founder's Pack and it's subsequent shutdown - I'll reserve the right to be pessimistic about Daybreak's promises.
    Wdor, Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And it does seem that lag reduction is in the roadmap along with other improvements.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

I'm as happy to complain as anyone, but we just got 64 bit. Give them a few patch days to start improving things. (It already feels better most days but that could just be luck)
    Wdor likes this.