Q. about mouse pointer in game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Herf, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Herf Augur

I'm getting old and stuff is getting harder to see. A few things can be hotkeyed, but 10 of them isn't really enough, so I rely on using my mouse during raids to click on stuff. Problem is that finding my mouse pointer in a hurry sometimes is difficult, particularly in some zones/dungeons where the color of the floor or walls is similar to the color of the pointer (oh yeah, I'm also red/green color blind.)

I've already turned off Others Spell effects, and PC names.

So here's my question: is it possible to substitute a player designed mouse pointer for the stock one? I know enough to design my own bitmapped pointer; I just need to know what the stats of it are in terms of size and color depth, etc. Also would need a way to prevent the game update from overwriting the 'new' file. An expedient way would be great, but having an in game UI checkbox saying "Use player supplied mouse pointer" would be nice.
    Willowtree likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Rijacki, Celephane and Herf like this.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Also, EQ uses my Windows cursor, which I have set for Standard Extra Large. I do use a custom UI, which must somewhere have something that does not include the default EQ cursor but does not have its own cursor, but allows the Windows one to work..
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Fenl Bard

I've struggled with this myself, I always found the directions given on EQInterface to be useless. Every time I did what they did it would just revert to default windows pointer.

I finally figured out the problem, EQ in windows mode is using the arrow.cur file and everything in the xml files is ignored.

The 2 solutions for this I've found are
    1) In windows 10 (I'm sure 11 has something similar) if you search for Change mouse pointer size in the control panel you will get an interface that will let you scale the mouse pointer to ridiculous proportions. I find if you make it too big though you will have issues with the pointer not really lining up with where you clicking very well. You can also change the color of the pointer here.

2) If you google TGA to Cur converter, You can find a cursor design you like and throw it in there and it will make a custom mouse cursor for you, then make a new folder and copy all the .cur files from default into that directory and replace the arrow.cur file with one you made (or copy the cur files into your custom UI) ideally you want the tga file to be 64x64 or 128x128 but I don't think it matters too much as it just scales automatically.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Rijacki like this.
  5. Tegila Augur

Why would 10 be your limit for hotkeys? You can assign any letter or number or shift alt Ctrl combo to any hotkey on screen (12keysx11(?)hotbars) and assign keys(or miltibind same keys) to xtarget and other things. You're not limited to 1-0 set by default on hotbar 1, but your own brain's memory of what key does what.