PVP Progression server please

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tomcat, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Breaker Journeyman

siiiigned, I would reroll here so fast
  2. Morph_VZ New Member

For the record, it wasnt anything having to do with griefers, boxing, classes, rulesets, or the like that killed PvP on ALL the EQ PvP servers. The same thing killed PvP on all the PvP servers. The game itself. The release of expansions one by one eventually killed PvP. The release of more bigger, better gear, HPs, AC, resists, thoushands of AAs, mercenaries, etc. adding too many Godlike stats and abilities, and unbalanced PvP to the point it wasnt the same before, or not as fun, or unbalancing, or even, just not worthwhile. In the beginning, stats and skills were low, it was a serious challange to kill another player. to find them, to run away, to chase someone running away. Everything was fun in PvP because it was raw. Almost every class had something to bring to the table, and anyone was killable.

That is why TLP PvP would be a success. probably through PoP or GoD, at least, then gear and AAs start to make PvP not as enjoying, but the PvP from classic, kunark, velious days is probably the most fun possible in this game IMO. I would want that more than anything else available in this game. Sure I may be in the minority, but Im sure DBG could find a way to throw us a bone, at least we have passion and pride, enjoying the game at all turns, not just trying to bum rush our way to endgame content as is the nature on PvE servers.

I participated in the GM run Halloween of 1999 "Bloody Kithicor" PvP event where GMs playing werewolves gathered lights VS darks in Kith for a serverwide PvP battle back when everyone was half naked, could loot 1 item, and charm and fear were still useable in PvP. That was the most fun Ive ever had in 16 years of playing this game, even moreso than participating in the releasing of the sleeper, or any other PvE accomplisment. There is something amazingly valid and unique about PvP in EQ, especially from the original expansions, I think everyone should have a chance to experience.
  3. Morph_VZ New Member

I would like to add, for me EQ is and always has been, about playing on a PvP server. Ya they all died, and all my friends or guildmates quit or transferred to blue servers once all the servers merged to one dead server. I have tried to get excited about each new reroll server, but none are the same to what EQ was and still is to me, PvP. I tried the new TLPs, theyre fun to an extent cept now everyone is too good at racing to endgame content, theyve already mastered a thousand times before on older servers. rinse and repeat each boss mob one by one. Now theyre even instanced so everyone can have their own raid boss to kill. endgame content for everyone. wahoo.

How about those of us stuck in the gorge, or the oasis, mistmoore, or somewhere remote, grinding midlevel mobs, knowing our chance at endgame is still months or years away, my version of the game will never be as great as those who power level and swarm raids for god loot. What if, at least I could fight the 1 or 2 other poor saps stuck in my zone with me. Or band together with them to fight anyone else who comes around. PvP servers is a whole another universe and exisitence than that from Blue EQ. Theyre not even really the same game. Which is why so many people seem to stick so strongly with one or the other.

All I say is the powers that be that run EQ killed PvP twice, 1st by thinning the heard of PvPers by doubleing the strength and power of PCs every expansion until PvP was broken. Then a 2nd time by merging unique PvP rulesets and economies and communities into 1 crappy leftover server. Bring back a new fresh, re-worked TLP PvP server. I bet you it lasts and stays strong as long as any other TLP server. At least it will offer something different from any other current server, and something that hasnt been offered in over a decade.
  4. UNDEADCRUSHER Elder

Should be team pvp like vallon zek and tallon zek back in the day, with 1 item loot. Adds an element to the game that makes everything in it more fun to do.
  5. Edge Apprentice

I would play on a server like this, if it was done like Sullon Zek.
  6. Tomcat Journeyman

We could still start our own two factions of red guilds on Phinigel as well
  7. Tomcat Journeyman

/join pvp and /autojoin pvp on phinigel to talk about that
  8. yerm Augur

Item loot was cool, but it wouldn't realistically work with the current respawn system. They'd need to bring back corpse runs. So, arguing for item loot = arguing for corpse runs. Not necessarily a BAD argument but please keep in mind the scope of what asking for it means.

Coin loot I would think is easier to implement, if not as severe/fun, although item loot kinda goes sucky come velious and later with all the nodrop loot anyway. Would be nice to at least have some reward especially if it's FFA rather than team ruleset.

Now, the really fun idea I had - if you kill someone you can change their surname. It lasts for 1 hour.
    Drexll likes this.
  9. trainz Journeyman

phinny server is to aids on xp for pvp players to want to play. I got to lvl 15 and felt accomplished, we need a server with xp equivalent to RF, or better yet the soon to be buffed xp. Would be a blast, you could even add instanced raiding other than certain world mobs to make it even more appealing to the masses.
  10. O'Michael New Member

""I participated in the GM run Halloween of 1999 "Bloody Kithicor" PvP event where GMs playing werewolves gathered lights VS darks in Kith for a serverwide PvP battle back when everyone was half naked, could loot 1 item, and charm and fear were still useable in PvP. That was the most fun Ive ever had in 16 years of playing this game, even moreso than participating in the releasing of the sleeper, or any other PvE accomplisment. There is something amazingly valid and unique about PvP in EQ, especially from the original expansions, I think everyone should have a chance to experience""

Holy cow, that's nuts that you remember that. I was there on my druid and it was one of the first mass PvP battles I had ever done. I was addicted to PvP after that.

I know that they would have me for a PvP TLP server in a heartbeat. PvP was what made EQ special to me back in 99/00.

I did reactivate my acct to play on phinny just to see if it was anything like what I remember and yes... it is in a way but I long for the days when my group could come in and run out another group cause we wanted that camp. Competition!!

DBG, Take note, I would myself pay for a few accts for my old PvP buddies just so we could roll the fool that pissed us off again.
  11. BigDog Elder

Same here

[IMG]
  12. Kittany Augur

EQ PvP could be interesting again in a TLP fashion. The ideas proposed in the various threads are also decent ideas. However, coming from Vallon Zek, my own opinions are biased in that regard.

To those individuals of whom are hailing Sullon Zek the best PvP server, I simply have this to say: There is a reason the rest of the Zek players considered Sullon to be the red-headed step child server. The idea of those teams was interesting, but the implementation was horrible along with the "No Rules" mentality that attracted the worst of the worst of our playerbase. (If Ragefire and Lockjaw have taught us anything, it would be certain people will abuse any mechanic to the extreme with no empathy towards the fellow player and continue to do so under some self sense of misguided justification.)

However, that said, I would fall into the camp that some type of teams would be very beneficial if such a PvP server was implemented. Whether it is race, alignment or location based. Although I would be on the fence about the teams being 'hard-coded'. I would support the idea that it could possible to 'switch' to another team through (And this is just a possible idea!) faction work.

But one thing I will disagree with, is the idea that there is no level range on the PvP; I do agree that level range PvP does have it's inherent problems, it is far better than allowing free range. The free range system falls severely short in other games where it's implemented (I'm looking at you, WoW). It's a relic of a system that, a few people thought would be fun but quickly found out that it caused more problems than it was worth. Which is one of the main reasons there is no unlimited level range within the instanced PvP systems (Still using WoW as an example).

A good number of people would argue the point that if a high/max level is killing lowbies then the lowbies should log in the high/max level mains to oppose the aggressor. This is what I would call bad design and encourages a type of behavior that breeds an unwelcoming community. There is a difference between a healthy and unhealthy PvP community in that regard.

Though, as I have previously of said, the level range PvP, while it isn't the answer, it would be closer to what I believe a server should have as opposed to a no level limit.
  13. O'Michael New Member

VZ was a great community enforced PvP server. The top dog guild (Defiant) imposed order in that they would allow people to get their corpse back as long as they decided to loot and scoot. You decide to train a group? Go ahead! just don't plan on getting your body or gear back for awhile...

Sadly, with the removal of corpse runs this isn't as an effective way of doing it but if you put the corpse run back in griefers would be far fewer.

Come on DBG, Give us our server....You don't have the GMs to police the community so give us a way to police ourselves and see how we do!
    Arvins likes this.
  14. Constellation Augur

The Sullon Zek rule set sounds the best. Good VS Evil VS Neutral. But the Rallos Zek rule set seems less hardcore for most pvpers. The logistics of the pvp server doesn't really matter to me. I would play regardless of the rules. Oh,to run up on a group of idiots, and kill them - would be most fabulous. No need for instances on this server. :):cool:
  15. Eyepk Lorekeeper

Just add in guild wars that after two weeks reset everyone back to normal
  16. Drexll Augur

I have to agree. Rallos Zek was the first and only server I played on back in the glory days. I loved it and wish I could have that experience again, but times have changed. I know from my experiences in MMO's over the years that the playerbase has changed, and not for the better.
  17. Tomcat Journeyman

Lets make it happen DBG? =)
  18. Hybrid Moments New Member

19. Drexll Augur

go go good team!
  20. Tomcat Journeyman

Well I made a guild called Tendrils of Discord on Phinigel if anyone wants in find Tomcat in game or post your name here.