Prophecy of Ro guide

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rasper Helpdesk, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

With Mangler unlocking PoR shortly I decided to make a real guide for the expansion. I've got all the group content done (with links to Alla for quest write ups) which should hopefully help folks get more out of the expansion. Check it out - https://www.raspersrealm.com/Everquest/PoR/index.html

In making the guide I found a slew of bugs which have been in game for over a decade, they are all listed on the Bug Report forum if you'd like to lend support.
    Korea numbah3, Issk, Duder and 2 others like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Some great Sleuthing you & others have been doing on that.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Cliffnote version of POR guide: Log out.
    Machen and Kragin011 like this.
  4. Gremin Augur

Worse expansion ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. sieger Augur

Yes, the only way to beat PoR is to not play it at all.
    Machen likes this.
  6. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

For non-raiders there is more gear available than I realized. Some simple tasks in Eldaar and Relic yielding 200 hpe off slots, quite a few decent augs, etc.

If Samples of Corruption Hard loot is fixed, should be 3 pretty nice augs there too.

Deathknell is just a seriously annoying final raid zone which sours the whole expansion.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  7. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Played from Classic to TBM on phinny, and PoR was by far the most painful from a raiding perspective. Not to mention, on TLP servers, you have been level 70 for 7 MONTHS when it releases. They really should do something about the level 70 slump on TLPs. I saw a far greater decline in the server population on phinny during DoDH and PoR than any other time. You can actually see it if you go look at phinny progress. The number of guilds going into OoW and then how many go into TSS, very sharp decline there.

Would it be too much to ask to bundle DoN and DoDH? or DoDH and PoR?
  8. sieger Augur

PoR shares this exact same problem with Omens and DoN--there's actually a lot of content but most of it isn't useful on TLP because there are no "non-raiding or barely raiding casual guilds" on TLPs like there were when live servers went through these expansions. Bosses in Devastation, Sverag, Relic, the Elddar forest DZ raid, a lot of the group content...have good quality gear. But if you're fully decked out from farming DemiPlane for 3 months you have little use for most of it. So PoR typically boils down to a farm of Deathknell while continuing to farm DemiPlane (since Demi still drops a lot of bis slots as Deathknell raids only drop items for a subset of total slots available.)
    Rasper Helpdesk likes this.
  9. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Linking OoW with DoN and then DoDH with PoR would go a LONG way to defeating the 70-slump, cutting the time in half. Raiders can clear Anquish in a night, then do the dragons instead of twiddling thumbs, then likewise with Demi and Deathknell, maybe the occasional Corruption for the chalice aug (guaranteed 15 AC 110 hme 2 hInt/hWis aug is dandy)

Non-raiders or alts can run DoN missions instead of trying to get odd camps for slots in RSS/MPG, then they can do dodh missions and por quests to fill slots out.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have advocated shortening the 70 era on TLP many times, but releasing the expansions together does remove some of the timeline feel a TLP is meant to be about.

The way that I would do it is have Omens of War be open for 8 weeks before opening Dragons of Norrath and DoN would be open for 4 weeks prior to unlocking Depths of Darkhollow, then after 8 weeks of DoDH unlock Prophecy of Ro & allow it to have a 4 week run before TSS is unlocked.

Then you only have a 24 weeks window of level 70, like having two level-raise expansions back to back and for the amount of content contained in the 4 level 70 expansions I think that would feel about right.
    This would however make farming the "berserker bones" in Devastation & Sverag a lot more problematic so I would suggest having either load-balancing (i.e. Picks) or even better AoC for those zones as part of that change.
  11. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

A little coordination goes a long way on berserker bones since only the person requesting the Sullon Zek raid needs them, not every raider.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

True, but heavily dependent upon how many guilds you have active on your server at the time & how friendly or antagonistic they are towards each other, two powerful guilds who hate each others guts could very easily make this a hugely more difficult process for everyone else for example.
  13. Tritonia Journeyman

Deathknell ends up taking like 2 hours if that without issues. DK1 isn't annoying, just a bit of dps check - "hardest" event in zone not that any are bad. DK2 is mildly annoying but not super hard. DK3 I might record myself shaman soloing in era or something because it's a joke. And DK4 is moderately annoying but as easy or easier than DK2.

Guilds are plenty fine just adding DK to Demiplane farming and nothing else after flags are taken care of if they like. I personally think Razorthorn is worth clearing at least every other week. Suchun and Daosheen are much more debatable. Suchun is easy but loot is whatever. Daosheen is one of the dumbest fights in EQ and loot is just okay.

I think PoR is overlooked. It has a lot of nice raid content to do outside of your official guild stuff. It has a few very worthwhile augs to farm group style. ToB chest clicks for some classes are useful. The scrykin aug is bad for the effort but could be a slot filler on an endgame toon potentially. I hate hearing it compared to DoN. DoN is a dumpsterfire with priest vish clicks and a ds ring 3 better than tacvi shoulders. PoR has so much more to offer.
  14. Gremin Augur

I agree and wholeheartedly hope they change it so when OoW releases we get DoN and when DoDH releases we get PoR with NO added time onto length of an expansion.
  15. Machen New Member

I realize that being mostly afk for 45 minutes at a time is basically the norm for eq players, but only moderately annoying? For the raid leaders that actually have to pay attention and coordinate those clicks, ARO is like 45 minutes of nails on the chalkboard every week.
  16. Tritonia Journeyman

Shouldn't be raid leading if you can't suck it up to coordinate clicks on DK4 for power 3 clicks. No shame in raiding only demi until TSS if Ayonae Ro is a dealbreaker for you.
  17. Machen New Member

Oh I'll do it, every time. I will hate it every minute though. Especially knowing that half the power 3 clicks will have quit by sof.
    Tritonia likes this.
  18. Tritonia Journeyman

Well I can't argue with you there - always gonna have some of those quit and its always a shame. But yeah, I'll do something WAY more annoying than DK4 for what Aro offers.
  19. sieger Augur

Right no one complains about Deathknell due to difficulty. It's because it has three events that are fixed time and cannot be sped up, and the third event is mindnumbingly easy and uninteresting as well. The first event if you have the DPS to outright kill the gargoyles (which many guilds will, functionally erasing the first half of the event's difficulty), it's still on a timer and doing so does nothing to speed it up, just makes it easier.

The fact that DK has extremely worthwhile gear for the era does not, in fact, help, because it means you really need to be doing it on lockout. For most raiding guilds the typical farm in PoR is going to be DoDH + DK, and that's maybe two nights of raiding for an average guild. Most will not find it fruitful to farm too much else, although as Rasper mentioned the Elddar forest event is a good one to run (but it can be run with 3-4 groups), there are a couple good items out of Razorthorn but having rolled through PoR on a couple servers now I haven't observed many guilds farm it on lockout after getting done with DK flagging. I agree PoR has a lot to offer overall, just most of it is either sidegrade quality or slightly worse than what's equipped if you're in a guild that's been farming DemiPlane for a typical TLP expansion era.

I think I looked once at the ancient progression records for when DoDH was "live" and I think it took the first guild to beat Mayong something like 300 days (I'm assuming much of that delay due to how Vule time gated things as an open world raid boss with a crazy mechanic of booting the first person on the threat table out of the zone if a 25th person engaged him, which exposed the event to tons of shenanigans--I wasn't playing EQ at the time so I'm just going off second hand info.) But in any case, it looks like most guilds weren't casually farming all of DPoB for most of DoDH, and I know lower tier guilds even had trouble beating some of the blood raid events like Queen Sendaii. In that context PoR was actually probably a good expansion, tons of raid content for guilds not at the "top tier", which for a lot of EQ history that was the bulk of the player base. But TLPs where players are so overpowered and where all the strats and techniques to win are known years in advance even quite casual guilds are usually just doing top end content, so a lot of "mid-range" raid content is never touched on TLPs at all, which guts a number of expansions that primarily delivered content for that range of players.
  20. Tritonia Journeyman

I’m in agreement on finding timelocked events a bit annoying but if you’re coming from Demiplane with Sisters, Hatchet, and Performer, I don’t think adjusting to the next end raid zone also having 3 time locked events is too much.

The loot outside of DK is sidegrade in ac/hp/mana and even focus level however, the placement of worn modifiers and focii added in PoR really does a nice job of complementing Demi offerings. Razorthorn especially which is why I mention it as my 2nd most worthwhile target in PoR.