Progression server - Starting with ALL classes.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by NubixCube, Mar 7, 2020.

1. taliefer Augur

again i ask, how would they be unbalancing? you are assuming they would be for no real reason that i can see. these classes were designed with balance of old content in mind. looking at their abilities and spells there is nothing unbalancing to be found
    Skuz likes this.
  2. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Zerkers would be Rogues in Classic tier trash until PoP at best anyway and even then they wouldn't be good. Do you buff them?

Beastlords it would largely be dependent on what they were allowed to get? Do they get Spirituality line in Classic? What spells are they allowed to have in Classic, Kunark, SoV? Are they allowed to have their pet heal line?
  3. code-zero Augur

Either they'd be terribly under tuned or so overpowered the complaints and calls for nerfs would be horrible.

The only sort of progression server that would work with all classes available would be a 51/50 with an OoW start
    Nolrog likes this.
  4. yerm Augur

This is complete and total nonsense and you know better. Berserkers are 2 hander using rogues, and not even particularly good in god when they do come out, gaining some parity with oow. They will be competing for "worst" class. They could have god skill caps at lvl 50, that just lets them finish only 2nd worst.
  5. Nolrog Augur

All things that would have to be reviewed and compared to what other classes get and when to determine if a change is needed. These are things that take time.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Paincake Elder

Every time you comment, I have to look back at your name to check to see if it is in RED letters.

It's like you just know all of the inner workings on the development, cost associated, and time it takes to code changes.
  7. NubixCube New Member

The idea of this requiring significant work is laughable. They are already itemized. There are already classic classes that would be way more powerful. Very little work would need to be done other than enabling a few checks.

Except, I would. Thatss why I am asking. Ive been wanting to play a Zerker on TLP since Phinigel but really its not an option since TLPs are arguable dead to anything other than raid guilds by the time GoD launches.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. NubixCube New Member

Instead of immediately condemning the idea based on your assumptions of the codebase and required dev work, you let them make that judgement call for themselves.

How about we let people who like the idea chime in to see how much interest there actually is instead...
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

You don't really think before you post, do you? Do we want them spending time and money on fixing bugs, QOL improvements, new content, etc. or do we want them to put Berzerkers and Beastlords in classic? You choose. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Edit: Oh, and I do believe the part of DBG that funds Everquest is nearly broke. Your opinion may vary.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. code-zero Augur

Eh, you know that should Dark Paw actually do what's asked the hardcore completionist who regularly jump to the newest server would never see any of the totally new content that was created for them. They'll never catch up. I recall being like that myself back in late 99 and for a brief while I'd actually delete characters when they died because I felt like respawning was a cheat :p
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Damn this game! I've been playing for months and I'm still level four!
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Paincake Elder

I honestly don't care what's done, as long as actual work is being done. I'm just tired of reading excuses as to why the company won't do this or that. Usually has something to do with "significant work" or "lack of resources" or whatever.

Stuff just seems fishy. You comment about it, truly curious, and get told by people this or that - supposed knowledge that only those at DBG really know.

Fishy example - Botters have been a claimed problem (not much for me, I just avoid them personally) on the TLP's for years. Apparently getting worse with each new release. Thread after thread is posted where players are saying they have petitioned, reported, recorded, etc. And weeks later, said bot army is still there. Players defend DBG, saying due to limited resources, there is limited GM support to police these reports. Maybe they are right (maybe not). But if DBG would take the time (and some "work") to bring back or reinforce the Guide program, then these problems might be taken care of properly and fairly. Deputize some players. Volunteers. Free.

If doing a bit of work to allow BST and BER to start in a fresh Classic TLP would bring in more players and more money for DBG, then go for it. I want to see EQ re-awaken once again. But I'm up for anything honestly. I just don't want to hear excuses from fanboys defending a company that "could be, just not wanting to work".

I'm not claiming they don't. Just looking at these things from another angle.
  13. Machen New Member

Giving players the ability to ban other players seems like a really poor idea, to me. We have too much skin in the game generally, especially when Everquest is often a competitive environment in various ways.
  14. Paincake Elder

This is a misconception held by a huge amount of EQ players. Guides in no way, have the ability to ban anyone.

I was a guide back in the early days of Velious. Their powers are pretty much just to help people, and settle disputes (sometimes). Give a player a rez if they died to a bug. Pull people out of being stuck. Mostly about just trying to be helpful. They did however, have the ability to be completely invisible and watch other players. Then escalate that up to the server GM if necessary. The GM is the only one that was able to generate lost items, and ban people. The GM is a paid employee. Guides are not.

Yes, there's a story of a guide who went rogue and bound an entire guild into a death loop in VP. That's 1 dude doing a bad thing. It obviously doesn't represent the rest of the Guide Program lol.

Also, there was another rule. You were assigned a server, not one that you currently play on. Guides couldn't hop between servers or anything like that. They were just regular characters, created on that server, just like the players, but then given special powers and equipment (with clickys like instant 100% rez, and instant kill), as well as the guide interface. The interface was used to track incoming petitions and address them or escalate them.

The Guides themselves were policed as well, by other guides. Nothing is perfect obviously, but it's better than just letting stuff happen, and not ever being dealt with.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't think many players defend DBG when it comes to how they approach cheaters. I think most of us know that the effort would be minimal but yet it doesn't get done. It feels like some sort of game is afoot.

As for free help, it is never free. An entire program has to be devised (or something like the guide program resurrected), someone has to manage the program, that manager would have to interview prospective guides, select guides, etc. Then once the program is up an running, the manager has to truly manage it. There will be complaints against guides that have to be investigated, for example. Guaranteed. That's just off the top of my head. So there's still a lot of work (read "money") needed to take use of free help. My opinion (but based in experience and reality).
  16. Paincake Elder

Yeah, you're probably right. I "think" the Guide program is still ongoing, albeit extremely limited. I could have sworn someone mentioned it about a year ago when Mangler was new, and the bot problems began to arise.

But yeah, there would need to be a manager (or server GM) employeed that could be responsible for overseeing the program. Obviously this would require some money, as well as some work to train and implement.

However, if something is broken (like the ability for these botters to get away with disrupting play), then it needs fixing. Who know how many players have quit because they saw the problems, and nothing was being done about it.

Here's an example: You go to the grocery store. Upon walking through the door, the tiles are all cracked and broken below your feet. Pieces are missing, exposing the bare concrete. It looks bad. Does the customer just chalk it up to, "Well, it's not THAT bad, I can still walk in and shop." or "The company would have to spend money and resources to fix this....it would be a bit of work....so I understand why they haven't yet."? I look at that situation, and think, "Uhh, dang. How could they let it get this bad? Don't they see people are walking up to the door, seeing the floor, and turning around and walking out? Why aren't they doing something to fix this?"

I come across as arguing, and being negative probably lol. I promise you, I'm not trying to be. I love EQ. I just want to see it succeed and grow. Not fall apart and die. I'm the kind of guy who questions all things. Not everything is an "excuse". Obviously a lot of the time it's warranted. I just try to not take something at face-value, and look deeper into the situation. You said it yourself, seems like something is afoot hehe. See? I'm not the only one who is awakening. :)
  17. feigntrain Elder

C'mon, guy... This is just simply not true. Beastlords and Berserkers are already listed on many items, and they even have class specific items/spells drop before Luclin. They both have Kunark sets and Velious sets. *SOME* Beastlord spells are only available in Luclin, but every class has *SOME* spells they can't get until Luclin. It's no different.
    NubixCube and Skuz like this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I like the idea of having Beastlord & Berserker in at the start of a new TLP, it hasn't been done before & it's a feature that makes a lot of sense providing the code work can be affordably budgeted in, even if not right away then eventually, being worked on a bit at a time to get all the necessary parts in place without impacting other stuff too much.

I think that this has been asked for even going back almost as long as TLP have been a thing so for all we know it may well be on the radar of the dev team & may be something they have quietly been working on over many months or years already.

I do know it isn't something that is easy or fast to do given how old the game is though, untangling spaghetti code & documentation of the changes, systems & databases is something I have read about before is being done piece by piece as they need to do it for the future longevity & ease of working on the game.

So, maybe one day this will happen.
    NubixCube likes this.
  19. NoWay Augur

This is a 20 year old game, not worth the resources. The kids these days hate this game and play other games with better graphics and easier cookie cutter content
  20. NoWay Augur