Producer's Letter: Progression Server, April Update, and Beyond

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Calamity Lorekeeper

I hope the LoN loot crates give promo cards in addition to eq loots.
  2. Kunon Augur

How is it not staggered release? Instead of one large expansion with content, we are going to get smaller chunks of content. That, by its very definition, is a staggered release of content for the year. Just take a look at what EQ2 is getting. Does that even remotely resemble the old 2 per year releases from long ago? Not even close. It is at best, equivalent to 1 of staggered releases we got with CotF. And that is what we will get with a full development cycle.
    Spellfire and Sancus like this.
  3. Rocko New Member

All I read was "We don't have enough staff to make expansions anymore so give us money anyway..." That ended my subscription. Let me know when you get your **** together guys.
    Leeanni, Feralone and Geroblue like this.
  4. Reht The Dude abides...

I am surprised, it actually took 4 pages before the obligatory "i quit" post.
    Mintalie, Enkel, Cazmac and 7 others like this.
  5. Rorce Augur

Staggered release would be CotF or RoF style, where we pay for a full expansion and then get pieces of it at a time. The campaigns sound like we will be paying for each content release seperately. Whether or not they will make up part of a larger release is yet to be determined, so calling it staggered releases is jumping the gun.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Reht like this.
  6. Mysl Augur

I think most of those "I quit" people already quit in last round of disappointment. :)
    Leeanni, Enkel, Geroblue and 6 others like this.
  7. Aghinem Augur

Meh, I don't like the sound of all this. I have a feeling people will end up paying double to get what they should already be entitled to through paying for an expansion.
    Baeddon, Geroblue and Sancus like this.
  8. Mardy Augur

Solid Producer's letter Holly. I'm so excited to hear about the June launch of the new progression server. Now that we have a month, we can let others know and start our viral marketing. Also thanks for listening to feedback with regards to LoN loot cards. You've made the right choices here, these things will sell like hotcakes, guaranteed.

Campaigns sound interesting, they remind me of EQ2's Adventure Packs. For what it's worth, I enjoyed these adventure packs back in the days before you folks discontinued them. If done well, they should provide good amount of content, with more opportunities to point players to a specific storyline, lore, and content. It can be a good thing if done well, as opposed to the usual yearly expansion that last roughly 2-3 months out of a year. I do remember EQ2's adventure packs were a lot cheaper than expansions.

Overall good stuff, looking forward to hearing more.
    Cazmac likes this.
  9. Haffa New Member

Each LoN loot crate guarantees you two loot rewards!

does that mean more paintings??? one of the worst and most useless loot cards
  10. Haffa New Member

and as some one already asked .... will there be another anniversary price on a full year sub $99 ???
  11. Seri New Member

I'd rather try their idea and honestly paying 15.00 every 6 months or so for some additional content to me doesn't sound all that bad. I would like to see though that if we go to this style that the "krono" could be used to purchase said content or all access etc.

I honestly think that would be a cool transition. Then when your ready or at a level to enjoy the new content you simply buy it.
  12. Reht The Dude abides...

If the campaigns are 3-4 zones with enough raids to keep raiders interested for 6 months that's fine, but if it turns out to be 1 or 2 zones (like EQ2's Rum Cellar) with 1 or 2 raids every 6 months it's going to end up hurting the community in the long run.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It wasn't that long ago that an EQ Producer told us they had listened to the players and promised no more staggered releases. This pretty much sounds like staggered release. Can we not trust anything that they tell us? I know stupid question.

I agree that this staggered release idea is to buy time for the reduced dev staff to create some content. And that in a year they will be behind the eight ball again without the ability to generate the necessary content. At this point can we expect things to go down to one campaign a year?
    Baeddon likes this.
  14. Roshen Brand Manager

Not in these bundles. These include two random pieces of loot from the first three Legends of Norrath sets: Oathbound, Forsworn, and Inquisitor. These were sets that didn't have paintings available as loot.

There are also some neat things available in these bundles that were first available as tournament and promotional loot rewards.

[IMG]

These bundles won't contain LoN cards. Instead, you'll get two items that were available as loot rewards in first three Legends of Norrath sets: Oathbound, Forsworn, and Inquisitor.
    Pinecone likes this.
  15. Kegwell Lurker since '99

I hope the Kiss of Marr is included.. Been waiting for that one for years.
    Mintalie likes this.
  16. Symbius Augur

I may just be a pessimist, but all these campaign DLC's sound like is just a different twist on the failure that was staggered release expansions.

Each of these DLC's better be completely unique unto themselves with enough content for a few months or this will crash and burn as well.
  17. Derd Augur

First, there is new content coming, so all the people saying no new content would ever show up, can now stop and complain about something else. I'm really surprised people can't get the fairly simple idea that with fewer staff and fewer players that having a incredibly large new expansion is just not feasible. TDS from my standpoint has been just fine, we have one more zone to complete and still things to do in the zones we've "finished" so to speak. For just a little less than a dinner out with your wife, all but those that still think playing eq 5 or 6 hours a day is "normal" had plenty to do. The size of the expansion or campaign will be smaller, complain and quit or don't buy it.. guess what, the next one will be even smaller. It's up to you if Eq survives or drys up.

As to the prog server, I doubt i'll play on it much if it all. The hard core people flew by me so fast, and I am not about to ignore my main toon and raiding, that it's just a novelty to me. But anyone that was around when they launched the last one, and how packed it was, you have to understand it will more than likely be a money maker. No ftp, some marketplace items, and even if it only stays vital a few years it's still good for all of us. I don't knock it anymore than I'd hope those that do play on it would thumb there nose at those of us on the normal live servers.

Thanks Holly for the update, hope you have a great weekend.
    Cazmac and Tarvas like this.
  18. Hayzeus Augur

As predicted... the one question that fills 4 pages of posts so far is treated like it's not even there.

But we know more about the LoN loots at least!

I'd put good platinum down that they're going with Option # 2
  19. Hayzeus Augur

Posts like this make me wish there was a Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down rating system for posts instead of either "Like it" or "stay silent." Then again I suppose I didn't really stay silent, so what do I know... Maybe this system really does work.
    Cazmac and Perplexed like this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well I guess the one silver lining if we can call it that is maybe their whole reason for doing two campaigns a year is that they figure they will sell more expansions if they are selling 2 smaller ones for 20 dollars as opposed to 1 for 40.