Problem with Bard Melody

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Rowdey, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Rowdey New Member

I'm having a problem getting /melody to work properly on my Bard. I have the following:
    /melody 1 5
    It plays 1 then 5 but then keeps playing 5 over and over and never goes back to 1. I've tried inserting commas between the numbers and even tried /melody 1 5 1 but it still sticks with 5 over and over. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

What song is in the #1 slot for you? Some songs have a longer recast or require a target (or both), among other reasons. If the song can't be sung it will be skipped until the conditions are met.
  3. Rowdey New Member

Thanks for your reply Qbert. #1 is Chant of Battle and #5 is Chords of Dissonance. I think I may have figured it out though. If I remove any instrument from the primary or secondary slot, it works fine. Put the instrument back on (doesn't matter which one) and the problem reoccurs. I'm only level 3 and it dawned on me that the instruments don't start kicking in until level 5. So maybe that's why it isn't working as expected? It's the only thing I can think of.
  4. Qbert Gallifreyan

That I couldn't say, I started my bard after defiant gear started so I've never used any instruments (bard focus is baked into gear now). It does sound like you figured it out though.
  5. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

try /melody 1, 5
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This.
  7. Qwen New Member

Rowdey is right. It is a problem related to low level bards equipping and instrument before they have the skill. It causes those songs to be skipped as it tries to use the skill.
    Broozer and Tucoh like this.
  8. Drackonos New Member

It's the instrument. I had the same thing happen on my new bard yesterday.
  9. Wulfhere Augur

Right. Bards from level 1 to 4 can only sing songs. Equipping an instrument before level 5 results in a skill fail message and the song is skipped.
  10. Tucoh Augur

I've never used commas in my melodies and doubt this resolves the problem of a twink bard grabbing an instrument they can't use yet.
  11. Gaussian New Member

Could be the song? I had Selos and Brusco's Boastful Bellow as a melody when I was tinkering around with something and had the same issue. Realized there was a significant cooldown on Brusco so Selos would just repeat until the right conditions were met for Bruscos to trigger again.

I use /melody 1 2 3 4 with no commas and it works fine unless I overlook a detail about one of the songs that prevents it from operating seamlessly.
  12. MMOer Augur

This helped me today. Thanks