Prince ralafin all safe from fire

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by dubblestack, Feb 27, 2020.

1. dubblestack Elder

Can anyone tell me how to avoid the billows for this achieve? Or a good strategy to get it
  2. Paradisic_parasite Elder

Stay low, don't stand on top of hills. Pull the named mobs down just a little to where you can stay out of billow los but not too far so named stays within its aura.
    Bigstomp and Tucoh like this.
  3. Yirrara Journeyman

Pet tanking and only crossing mountains when the emote isn't up makes it trivial since pets don't get hit.
  4. Ted the Mechanic Journeyman

If anyone could clarify this a bit more, I have done the above at least a half dozen times and had no luck. From what I gather, the billow is a LoS-able effect that is cast by an invisible source near the questgiver inside the instance like once a minute. Does it start as soon as you zone in, or when first named is engaged? Anyone know the specific emote for setting up an audio trigger?
  5. Lianeb Augur

The prayers to Prince Ralaifin are reaching rapture.
    is the emote

It is timed after engage. You know it went off when the spiders spawn.
    Coagagin and Hellowhatsyourname like this.
  6. Mazame Augur

When you zone in there is an invisible NPC standing on the bridge. he is the one casting the AE and if your in his line of sight when the emote happen then you fail.

The reason people are saying stay low is because you need to block the line of sight between you and the NPC to avoid getting hit.

Just make sure you can see the bridge that you zone in on and you will be fine.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  7. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Bzzt. Coincidence :)
    This is a volume check in a script. If you are in the volume when it checks... You can "loose" even if you don't get hit by the spell. BUT the spell also has a "no line of sight required" component. So... Line of Sight is not an issue.
    Axxius likes this.
  8. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

What the heck is a "volume check"?
  9. CrazyLarth Augur

ol this is just weird volume check" is it APRIL 1 yet
  10. dubblestack Elder

Interesting, so could another word for volume in this scenario be elevation?
    Svann2 likes this.
  11. Szilent Augur

it'd be super nice if the Volume in question had any kind of indicator. Post-effects gold or red tint or something with the first emote?

If it's not so simple as line-of-sight... it'd be real nice if players who are paying attention had something to pay attention to.
    Sancus and Thunderkiks like this.
  12. Duder Augur

The "volume check" is in relation to the mob named "Containment" that is on top of every one of the four named. If you're within range of the containment you are safe.
  13. svann Augur

I think what he is saying is that the debuff does not actually radiate out from a point source but instead it hits you if you are in that volume that, if there were a debuff radiating outward, would hit you. And more importantly, that that volume does not have shadows. You can hide by getting below it, but hiding behind something is irrelevant.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Completed Prince Ralaifin yesterday and got the achievement by having pets tank and dps down the Ralaifins while characters stayed at max spell range (and below the ridge plane).

Edit: It may be as random or fickle as getting the "Don't Trip" achievement for Wending Ways so don't quote me.
  15. Duder Augur

It isn't ;)

Congrats on achieve.
    Benito likes this.
  16. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Nope!

Volume, as in a mathematical "volume" of space.

the script gets a list of all players within a 3D rectangle (a volume. It has a width, a depth, and a height. I this case the bottom of this cubic rectangle is NOT at the floor of the fighting area, but lower the feet of the lowest of the 4 bosses.) If a character is in this volume, a flag for "fail" is set, and then it uses a command that makes the NPC mentioned above casts a targeted, very-long-range, no-line-of-sight de-buff on you.

Oh. this script DOES check to see if you are the most hated. If you are the most hated, it skips you. (it actually removes the most hated from the list of people in the volume before it loops through the list checking for failure and casting spells)

In the group game, I think pets can often be the most hated... and I, intentionally, do not take this into consideration. If you are going to let a pet tank, then let the pet tank.
    Tucoh, Ssdar and Benito like this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I thought I understood how to do this achievement, now I am totally lost.

We stayed out of line of sight of the bridge and always moved behind the hill pulling the mobs down to us, we even stayed in one place and pulled all 4 to us. Just timing it so no one was out in the open when the emote triggered.

Guessing somewhere along the line that overlaps into to what Ngreth is saying.
  18. svann Augur

Everyone Duck!
    Yinla likes this.
  19. Szilent Augur

so - wow, okay. Do dead bosses count? Do unengaged bosses have a "most hated"? If two are engaged, do they each exempt a combatant from the Billow? Are the bosses uneven, making the Billow much harder to avoid while fighting ... whoever, Sacerdot, because that one(?) is positioned higher than the others?
  20. Ngreth Thergn Developer

• Do dead bosses count? They don't have a hatelist to check, so no! Their area is not safe. the rectangle is a set rectangle, no matter what boss is up (not 4 independent rectangles)
    • Do unengaged bosses have a "most hated"? No. They do not. Same as above for safe area.
    • If two are engaged, do they each exempt a combatant from the Billow? Yes. They each exempt their most hated.
    • Are the bosses uneven, making the Billow much harder to avoid while fighting ... whoever, Sacerdot, because that one(?) is positioned higher than the others? While they are not even, as mentioned the rectangle is a set box that doesn't change. So some bosses you may need to move further to be out of the box.
    Zunnoab, Ssdar, Szilent and 1 other person like this.