[Priests] What does your UI look like?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Crystilla, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Crystilla Augur

To help out heroic priest classes, I thought it would be a good idea to actually share images of what our UI's currently look like. It would help them get some ideas for what they can do with the default UI as well as what interface custom pieces we, as healers, find useful.
  2. Tarrin Augur

Here is what I use right now. I tinker with it constantly. Showing 2 pictures to show how the /viewport command is effecting it.
    [IMG]
    This is without the windows, just showing how /viewport shrunk the area where gameplay is.

[IMG]
    This is it populated with all the various windows and chatboxes.
  3. Crystilla Augur

I tend to be an extreme chat box aholic + I am lucky enough to have a large monitor (think it's 27" widescreen). So my UI is going to have a lot on it.

[IMG]

Couple of things I wanted to point out that are custom.

If you like/have room for buffs with the names showing, here's a closeup of that. Top is buffs, bottom is the short term buff window. It can be found HERE.

[IMG]

Player window - I preferred a tabbed version with the key things on the first and then everything else on the 2nd tab. (We're still figuring out how to move the AC over, for those battle cleric friends of mine :)). Bottom of THIS thread shows the link to the actual window itself.

[IMG]

Here's a blown up image of the spell bar (with target window + health of target's target empty on left but filled on right). I have Coffins targetted and she has her pet on target.

For the spell bar, my option below with the spell numbers on the right is THIS one. Another very similar option is HERE. There's also a narrower version by Icesy HERE.

[IMG]
  4. Tour Augur

1. Make sure you can easily find everything in your UI. Much of the game, for priests / healers especially, is reaction time. Part of this is just the muscle memory from repetition, but part of it is also your UI. If I mention a hotkey, such as radiant cure or silent casting for example, you should have at least some idea of where that key is located in your setup without the game even being loaded in front of you. When someone needs a heal / cure now, it not a good time to be fumbling around with your UI, hunting and pecking for the right key.

Form is fine, but only if you have the function to back it up. Think of how many bells and whistles your UI needs to function.

2. Your target window and their respective buff window, your extended target window, and your group window will require the most of your attention. Make sure they are featured prominently; ie: near the center of your visual field, or near the side of your screen corresponding to your ocular dominance.

3. Use your keyboard to cast, not your UI. The UI has a not insignificant graphical delay between when your spells are actually available and when your spell gems light up. Not only will you cast faster, but it frees up your mouse to do other actions.

4. Use a 6 person group window (ie: the 5 other people in group + you), rather than the standard 5 person window. This makes it much easier to monitor your own health at the same time that you are watching the group. If you still want to use a 5 person window, at least move your own vitals near that window.

5. Try and group your related AA's in the same area. Not just does this repetition help with your reaction time, but will keep you from having to hunt around to see which of your AA's is available when you need them.

6. Create macros to use certain AA's and send relevant information to your group / raid to prevent duplicating and wasting abilities.

You can use /timer in your macros to have your UI let you know when they are available again. /timer adds the cool-down shadow graphic to your social macro hot-buttons. It's the same shading you'd see on spell icons or AA hot-keys. /timer can be placed on the same line as another command but not on the same line as a /pause command. The value for /timer is the time in tenths of a second.

Example:
    /1 Third Spire to %T's group. (message going to clr channel)
    /alt act 1472 (casts third spire)
    /timer 6000 (adds cool-down graphic so you know when your third spire macro can be used again)

7. Other hotkeys that are useful to make, in addition to all abilities, clicky items, etc:
    -A reply to last tell key stating that you are busy and are unable to res / buff a person at that time (ie: critical healing on the MT, etc).
    -A /target key for all individual healers on your active raiding roster. This will allow you to easily and quickly target other healers, or their corpses, if they need a quick rez/call, a QM, or other assistance. While this does have some limitations, most notably range, it is better to use this than the ETW, as the ETW is better reserved for tanks.
    -/corpsedrag, /corpsedrop

8. If you have trouble seeing your hotkeys you can right click on the border of the hotbar and click on "button size" to make them larger.
  5. Crystilla Augur

Adding one more image that you couldn't see in the actual UI picture above since I didn't have anyone in group. Some healers find they like using a group window with color changing bars as someone's heath goes down.

Here is the picture of mine with various HP levels. HEREis the link to this on EQInterface.

[IMG]

I realized my first post above had an incorrect link. For the player window I linked to the group window. The correct EQInterface of the actual player window listed above can be found HERE. Note, this is outdated so I do have an updated version I can email to folks.
  6. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

7. Darchon_Xegony Augur

[IMG]

Dunno if anyone uses my UI anymore... I have been maintaining it myself for the past few years. And as evidence by my extended Target window, and hot button windows... I have a pretty ghetto understanding of XML code.

But... I keep somewhat constant to traditional EQ.

Bottom left is main hot buttons, bottom center being main chats, middle right being buffs.

Group, target and spell windows are all horizontal above the chat windows. I really like that way for displaying targets debuffs. Cast window has mana bar on left and values on right which is quite nice. Group window has endurance, ATK and AC built into it, as well as my own HP bar / values and HoTT.

Left I've got all my hot buttons. All like 25 activateables for Druids.

Top left I have my damage window to see how much my nukes are landing for.

The one complaint I have is that I can't fit my "Heal of Others" into one of my main chat bars. But this is largely because of how EQ filters chat. If they ever revamp filters of chat, your healing others is a #1 important things to see in your chat bar. To realize how much you are actually landing heals for. And how much of your heal is going to waste cause the tank is already topped off.
  8. Tarrin Augur

I've always liked seeing how other people set up their UIs. The EQ UI is really one of my favorite aspects of it, as far as the creativity. You can really personalize it to yourself, once you get over how horrible the default lay out it.

I like a very minimal approach myself, only using the default windows. No add ons for me. Its just fun seeing what works for others.
  9. moogs Augur

[IMG]

This is mine. I didn't say it was pretty, but it works for me.
  10. moogs Augur

How?
  11. Naeeleu Elder

12. Naeeleu Elder

13. moogs Augur

14. Naeeleu Elder

moogs likes this.
  15. Braveheart Augur

What is the heal -name-total in yello towards the left middle.
  16. moogs Augur

17. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

My main is now a rogue, but I spent many years as a druid. I use the same UI on both characters.

Druid: [IMG]

Rogue, for illustrative purposes:[IMG]The single most important thing to remember when setting up a UI for an alt, be it heroic or otherwise, is that the key mapping settings are global. So anything you change for your alt, will change for your main, as well. I'm still working on rearranging the stuff on my druid, because of some changes I made to my rogue. =\
  18. dalead Elder

Once upon a time when I used custom UI's, I used the /viewport feature. It has fallen along the wayside now though and I use the default.
  19. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

It's a GINA overlay. If you want to know how to set it up - the overlay window looks like this:

[IMG]

The basic trigger searches for: You have healed {s} for {N}

Displays text: Heal - {s} - {N}

I send only this trigger to this overlay, using Trigger Categories (I made a trigger category called Cleric, with Text Overlay = Heal Window). The overlay Heal Window only displays info for 3 seconds, so there isn't useless heal spam on my screen all the time.

I like it a lot, sometimes can't pay close attention to it, but it's helpful for giving me an idea of what is useful and what isn't (it definitely got me splashing a lot more - IoG also is an enormous amount of healing, but I filtered it out). You can also filter out small heals (i.e. shawl 3.0 spam) using {N > 600} or whatever.
    Tarrin likes this.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info