Preparing the existing Progression servers for the Anny

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by snailish, Feb 2, 2019.

1. snailish Augur

This hasn't been done before, I think it should be considered: retirement planning (if you will) for the current progression servers, put in place before the new servers drop.

Fippy: convert to auto unlocks & given free transfers out. Will catch live and be merged away. Reason: tiny population left isn't going to do the unlocks, this is kinder than just merging it away right now (which is an option).

Ragefire/Lockjaw: allow free transfers from Lockjaw to Ragefire. Also, they have voting... let them vote on this: convert to auto unlocks with an XP boost. Reason: prevents the server(s) getting stuck. Provides an incentive to reroll there as a latecomer. Free transfers respects the population on Lockjaw that wants to do more serious raiding and concedes that it is fizzling out there. Note: I believe the vote would pass if you are bribing with the XP boost, but a vote allows either server to not go that route.

Phinny: stem the attrition by setting this up as the premier, pay to play live server. Do it now though while you still have so many in-era guilds. This means: at least highest XP rate (better than FV), and could include permanent rare spawn, faction, reduced lockout, etc. bonuses. This might even mean adding free trade loot. Reason: Do this right... I think live server people transfer in and pay to play, as you have made a truly "preferred" server by giving it better conditions.

Coirnav: increase the XP to at least current Ragefire/Lockjaw baseline. Reason: Coirnav is past the "dull early content" that some don't like, but the perception of slow XP is a barrier. Remove the barrier.

Then the new servers appeal to those that want new, love the early content, like whatever niche tweaks "hardcore" and "ultra casual" actually end up meaning. Sure, all servers will lose some (even temporarily) to the new servers, but to me a retirement scheme respects all the playerbase and possibly makes them more money.
    a_librarian likes this.
  2. snailish Augur

The other piece is the two new servers themselves. Hopefully they are both auto unlocks.

-if the hardcore one is racing unlock, you just set it to auto-unlock after 3-4 months. This could actually build incentive to compete if rewards are built in for "competing unlock targets in era". --This way, even if no other guild is left... you still have a timer ticking to get it done and get credit.

-for the "super casual" server... consider establishing that it will be a "Locked at TSS with free transfers off at that time" server from the outset. Reason is we see most of the playerbase on most progression servers tail off considerably just after TSS. TSS has that replayability, catch-up aspect to it. This coulds also work as a "ladder" destination Agnarr types could transfer to without going full live server. Other servers that have stalled at SoD and such (despite mercs) haven't been able to do much. TSS may be worth a shot, but that needs to be a known thing from the outset.

This may mean making sure global defiant was era-set after TSS (obsoletes most of the content), if that wasn't done already?
  3. Lankie Augur

I get the idea, but honestly, why would DBG even care if all the current TLP die out and most people restart on the new servers?

New servers give a lot of microtransaction income from XP potions, bags, mounts, etc.

If I was DBG, I would want RF / LJ / Coirnav / Phinny to die.

Having those servers stay around with no population doesn't use up any resources.
  4. Lankie Augur

They decided not to fix raid unlocks which were set for 12 month servers. So that basically killed 50% of the entire server.

We are halfway through the expansion on Phinny and 4 guilds have cleared it, lol. The server is beyond saving at this point.
  5. Boze TLP complaint factory

I think you're underestimating the current Phinny pop. Most of the folks here are sticking around for at least the next few expacs, many are coming back / starting new because of mercs or they like this era, and we've still got a bunch of guilds raiding https://phinnyprogress.com/ Four guilds cleared everything, two more basically have, and three more are working through it.

Now pop's definitely declined but there isn't much open excitement for the new TLPs among most Phinny players. This might change when rule sets are announced of course, but the momentum from starting with AoCs has definitely carried on and kept the pop healthy later than any other TLP. There's folks at just about every named camp in SoD at most times of day and that's a month into the expansion now. With Underfoot launching right in the middle of anniversary events (3/27) the impact with be negligible. The only way I see Phinny being a true #dedserver before the modern era at this point would be if DBG worked to actively kill it.
    snailish likes this.
  6. Zalamyr Augur

The launching of all the new servers does make me a bit nervous (afterall, it's unlikely to help any of the current servers), but I think Phinny ought to be fine. Progression servers are usually most vulnerable after PoP (when the "classic" players leave) and then again during the slog of the level 70 expansions. At this point, Phinny is already into "modern" expansions, so there won't be a lot of people leaving to chase the classic zones. They'd have already left for Cornaiv if that were the case. So I think most people on Phinny at this point are looking to stick it out.

Frankly, Phinny's population this late into a progression server is a bit unheard of. It's higher than the majority of live servers.
    SweetLaxTho and snailish like this.
  7. snailish Augur

I respect Phinny and don't/didn't mean to come across as suggesting it is in trouble. Rather, I want to see that highest population on a single server ever for all of these expacs post PoP* carry right to live and become the dominant live server. My "preferred" server concept is just to reinforce what may already be the natural outcome.

*Phinny still has more guilds completing content in-era for these expacs than we have ever seen on a single server right? That is my impression at least.
    SweetLaxTho likes this.
  8. tuda Lorekeeper

i support this, i would much rather start now on corinav in PoP, then start all over again, but that xp rate is just awfully brutal.
    Bolten_DA likes this.
  9. Coirnavshadowknight Journeyman

great ideas...but I think you're overestimating DBG's ability to give enough fks about making good decisions
  10. Machentoo Augur

If by this, you mean just skip the rest of the expansions and move Phinny to live, oh hell no. Launch a new live server with all the stuff you suggested, but let Phinny continue the journey. Dumping Phinny characters onto live right now would be about the same as dumping Corinav characters onto Phinny. In either case, the "new" environment would be so far advanced that the characters would be all but useless. In the case of Phinny-->Live, Phinny characters are for all practical purposes on a similar level as a heroic character. Plus, if DBG pulled something like this, I don't think most players would trust them to not do it again in the future, perhaps in even more extreme cases, and then why invest any time and effort into a server when the rug might be pulled out from under you at any point?

If you mean, give Phinny this stuff and let it continue on its way to live where it will eventually become the premier live server... We are way too premature to be thinking about that since we are still almost 3 years away from hitting live, just barely past the midway point, at current unlock rate. You aren't going to have live players jump onto Phinny as a live alternative, not for a couple years at least. I could see an attraction when Phinny is <1 year from hitting live. Come back with this idea for the 22nd anniversary imo.
  11. snailish Augur

I wouldn't skip/accelerate Phinny. No need.

For some time I have thought it should be made the "preferred live server" when it gets there. In this thread I suggest tossing some bonus bones onto it now --not that it would have a huge influx factor, but rather as a retention statement of "Yeah, this is the place worth staying on".

If this doesn't happen now, I remain convinced it is the way to go when it gets to live. I speculate that doing it earlier would basically build the mystique/sell of Phinny rules all (as a live server).