Pound for Pound

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Clawbird, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Zurril Elder

Rogue - Liciaa
    Zerker- Also Liciaa
    Mage - Old Duslo, not new Duslo
    FawnTemplar likes this.
  2. Peltier Elder

Best monk - Yhodi.
  3. Picard Journeyman

Retired monk from AB server Ciscokid here. Started out on Povar as a dwarf paladin named Maxximus a few months after EQ launched in 1999. Was a member of Harmonium on Povar and when we moved to Xev during the first round of server merges/new servers. For several months we were the top guild on Povar along with Triton and to a lesser degree Rising Ascension in those days.

Original EQ Era -- which to my mind was much tougher than the sugar cookies EQ has become up to when I stopped playing in late 2017. Most classes had several people who were really good players but there were a handful who were widely known and regarded on Povar the first 3-4 years as being truly elite.

Bard -- Bayerithe
    Enchanter -- Yana
    Monk -- Splos
    Wizard -- Cylus

Splos and Cylus were the two best players period I ever saw in the beginning era of Everquest. Splos was the monk who did most of the training and pulling of the original planes zones for both Harmonium and Triton until we developed our own monks like myself in Harm and Tpau in Triton. Cylus used to train and pull the plane of fear as a wizard and was damn good at it. This is when we were all levels 46-50 mind you. Mid tier guilds that tried to get good enough to handle the planes zones usually had to make their plans around Splos being available. The dude had an appointment book for literally who he was helping each day of the week. We had to freaking reserve him and fight with Triton for his services at times.

When Harm left Povar for Xev I remember us offering the guy literally everything we could think of to come with us but he stayed on Povar. Zaar always said even though Splos wasn't in Triton he stayed on Povar which meant he picked Triton over Harm -- bastard haha! He was also the primary mentor for Moorgard's monk character -- the same Moorgard who worked on Everquest.

Modern EQ Era -- who cares since the game is so much easier now and almost everybody boxes several different classes and each class has a lot of abilities of the other classes now so it all seems like the same difference to me. I spent the last several years running around a full box crew with a monk main being able to tank stuff, mezz stuff, heal 1/2 my hps every 30 secs, and run dps burns that could kill a lot of named mobs -- and that was just on my monk, never mind the rest of the boxed chars I had at my disposal just to make life super easy!!

Back in the beginning days Fires of Heaven was the shiznit and definitely had some great players but they also had a bunch of total lightweights. You gotta be daft to just outright proclaim that the only people who can be the best players must belong to Realm of Insanity. So they are clearly the top guild right now and seemingly have been for several years now. Whoop dee freaking doo!! I imagine the vast majority of players in RoI must be outstanding -- but to presume they are automatically the best most talented ever omgosh is glue sniffingly hilarious.

You've got the best team and the best teamwork. You've got the best leadership and strategic system in place for the state of the game as it currently is and has been for some time. You've obviously got a whole lot of elite players who know what the heck they are doing and have the desire and ability to come together and get their crap done in a way that enables you to get stuff dead faster than other teams. But I don't think it's all that far fetched to think that the best players in MS or Triton or some other guilds would be better players than some of the players in RoI. Who cares LOL?!

We all only know who we know and have personally interacted with or know by reputation from others who have interacted with them and have an opinion we value or trust. Splos is still playing on Povar after all these years and last I checked he's still kicking so much freaking a$$ there is noway I could come close to being as good a monk player as he still is to this day. He has no desire to do anything other than be what he has always been -- the best he can be at what he does.

Having said all that -- besides Splos I don't know how anyone cannot say Orbital and Beimeith are two other people who represent the absolute very best of what Everquest has to offer. Forget how good they are at playing the game (and I bet both are exceptional players), their contributions to the community cannot be overstated. As someone who has been retired now for a while and will be staying that way, even though I do like to read the forums from time to time, I will always be appreciative to both of them for the impact they made on my ability to better enjoy the game when I played it.
    Tevik likes this.
  4. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Memer: Sirene
    Sancus likes this.
  5. Funnonry Lorekeeper

best raid leader ever: Aspitx <Pandemonium>, Ergon <Inverse Logic>
    best zerker: pimpgins aka utanadan
    best wizard: Betbeez <triality> on pve, Deekex aka Kithkannan <Vendetta Elite>
    best bard: singforme <pandemonium> on pvp, Blanco <triality> on pve
    best rogue: Naikon <The Dream Team>
    best monk: Daremok <Inverse Logic>
  6. Dewey Augur

Best player/Paladin - Jace (Drinal)
    Best enchanter - Vaynelle (Drinal)
    Best Boxer - Samwise (Sullon Zek)
  7. Funnonry Lorekeeper

best paladin: Tarwine
    best player of any class: Titanuk OG
    best cleric: Whorella aka Lethdar, Sitsack <Pandemonium>
    best ranger: Crazycloud, Sarai <Hate>, Moldar <Iratus Lepus>
    best enchanter: Stryne <Vendetta Elite>, Meshia aka Shia <Inverse Logic>
    best druid: Rolaque <Iratus Lepus>
    best shadowknight: Titanuk
    best warrior: Titanuk, Xantille, Gnar <The Dream Team>
    best shaman: Medicine <Township Rebellion>
  8. Funnonry Lorekeeper

best team player: Dojii
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Worst thread ever.
    Funnonry likes this.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

For Monk's on Bristlebane it's hard not to be impressed with Ganrn, especially considering he does what he does without even being in a guild.
    Ibudin, Funk, RPoo and 5 others like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

And one of the very helpful people of Norrarth. I would nominate Elric for the paladin slot. He taught me an awful lot about how to play a paladin.
    Duder likes this.
  12. Drogba Augur

memers* Silent Redemption
    Ryino, Elyssanda and Scornfire like this.
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

Well the E Peens needed attention again.
  14. yosco Augur

^^^ #NailedIt

I'm sure 80% of this thread is people posting that THEY are, in fact, the best in class.
  15. Mintalie Augur

That dude is beyond amazing.
  16. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

/rolling 50 accounts to vote for myself
  17. AcemoneyFV Augur

Well I wasn't going to say anything, but if you ask me who is the best, it's always me.
    Scornfire likes this.
  18. Sobmre Augur

Paladin: Me
    Elyssanda likes this.
  19. yosco Augur

I seem to recall when you were a raiding twinkle in HFC's eye... or was it IR... or was it SF??? haha... now I can't recall when we raided together.
  20. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Good lord, none of the above -_-

Darkstar Alliance Yosc. Saying that, I don't even see you on the legacy DKP, did we actually ever raid together in the end or was it just us endlessly trying to recruit the other to the opposing team?