Possible Solution to lack of TDS raids

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Soltara, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Tearsin Rain Augur

just like how nobody who hasn't personally built a car knows how an engine works, right?
  2. phattoni Augur

you haven't seen the source code, you have no idea what you are talking about, at the moment you are spouting off garbage and trying to make yourself look smart, and failing horribly.
    Axxius likes this.
  3. Kellaer Augur

4. phattoni Augur

and if you are such a pro on everquest and game development in general, why arent you on the dev team?
  5. Garanle Elder

Sadly with all the changes over the years revamping an old raid is basically developing something new.
  6. Axxius Augur

There. The key word is highlighted for you.
    You put that in quotes, implying that I said that? Show me where I said it.

It's not easy. It takes more time than the team was willing to spend on the anniversary content. But we aren't talking about anniversary content. We are talking about creating more raids for TDS. I proposed a solution that's easier than designing new raids from scratch. You are trying to argue that
    which is obviously not true.
    It's easily verified now? Go ahead then, provide the verification. Right here. :)
  7. Igniz Augur

Can't we just copy/paste Axxius, cut all its superflous dialogue from it and slap the new entity back into the forums?

Sad fact is - copy/paste events tend to be very delicate. Let's take PoW as example - this was not even copy/pasted but only gathered dust for a couple years before being "tuned up". Despite this, devs needed multiple rounds of careful tweaking and rebalancing.

Copy/pasted and just tuned up - having a simple transposed digits error might spawn Aten Ha Ra instead of an_orc_pawn, which subsequently notices there are still bosses up in this zone and starts deathtouching people. Or meaning that a shadowmane destroyer does not use the updated version of Lycanthropic Fury, but starts banishing people to the first island of plane of sky (which of course would BOTH be really funny).

There are a myriad of other errors that could always/sometimes/rarely occur whenever the event runs. Scripted events might seem seemless, but any transition from one phase to the other might have unexpected results due to some copy/pasted legacy code being "repurposed" ...
  8. Axxius Augur

PoW was tested with 1 guild 1 time, iirc. And the designer was leaving SOE, which likely had something to do with that raid getting released the way it did.
    That's what beta testing is for. All that stuff is caught and fixed in testing. Nobody proposes releasing untested content.
  9. Iila Augur

4 day tower of rot beta.
    Hiladdar, Silv and Yinla like this.
  10. Kamea Augur

While I have no issue with that suggestion, I'd rather see more raids in TDS zones.

EG - T rex raid in Thul, Golem raid in Combine Mines, Monkey raid on Brother island, or an underwater + perma snared shark raid in Siren's.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  11. sojero One hit wonder

Axxius, I don't think beta works the way you think beta works :)
    Igniz likes this.
  12. Triconix Augur

The amount of ego needed to type this statement out is just jaw dropping. With such a brilliant mind, could you do me a favor and answer a question that has itched at my very soul for years...

What is the meaning of life?
    Axxius likes this.
  13. Goth Augur

it would seem something cheesy could be added to the game but allas the devs dont have time for even cheesy raids that would give people something to kill on.

Raids that would utilize the T1 raid gear that was removed would be fitting.

Even more raids that have the same stuff that is dropping.

simple Tank spank, AE stuff. It cant be to hard to make something..

It would be cool if they just simply did this sort of thing to any random zone. beef the hell out of the base population for raids and make raid targets out of the rares...

Raid Crush Bone, Umbral Plans, you pick a zone im sure there are many that would be neat.
  14. Iila Augur

Beta is the fake server with free AAs where we report the bugs that we're going to be reporting on live.
    Yinla, Voth and sojero like this.
  15. Axxius Augur

Dunno how it works for you, but over here it works exactly the way it's supposed to work, at least when it comes to raid testing.
  16. Tearsin Rain Augur

i'm sorry that other people knowing game mechanics upsets you so much.

man, if EQ knowledge was applicable to the real world like that, i'd really make something of myself.
  17. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I could probably walk into Daybreak and start cranking out new raids based in old zones within a month; two weeks of which would be developing tools to make making raids easier.

But you wouldn't like my raids, I'd use the most annoying mechanics possible.

Melee having to Beg poof-on-zone bane weapons from NPCs to use for the fight.
    120K AE each 1% of boss HP, with low HP.
    Belly caster on slippery floor.
    Endurance drain on the tank.

And you have to keep all four of their HP balanced.
  18. Silv Augur

The pirate hat was sooooooo worth it though, right?
  19. Iila Augur

The 1 raid token I got wasn't enough, so I didn't even get a pirate hat.

My post on all the ways the druid split nukes were broken might have helped get those fixed. Or maybe that was for the wizard spells, who knows.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Triconix Augur

Clearly didn't catch my sarcasm...but anyways it's not knowledge which is offensive. It's your ego. They are two completely different things. But don't fret, I will explain:

Ego - a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.
    Knowledge - facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

You don't need knowledge to have an ego. Nor do you need an ego to have knowledge, but somewhere in there lies your situation. It's good to be knowledgeable, but when you use it to bloat your ego it's pathetic. The air of superiority around you is what is jaw-dropping. You are failing to realize how stuck up and self-centered you look when you try to 'enlighten us' of what you know about this game's mechanics.

But since we are on the conversation of creating new raids, let's us delve into this a little more. You admit that they can copy/paste the zone layout fairly easily. Well that's a lot of time saved in R&D, especially a big zone like Solteris. I'm sure that's quite a few man hours not needed to create an entire zone from scratch. The already have the NPC models, raid mechanics, and script design in place for them to base the new ones off of. Again, that saves a lot of time thinking of events and then making them. And who is to say they have to create all new spells? They can recycle old spells from current events, can't they? Even if they don't do that with all the spells, it still saves time if they do it only on some, does it not?

The have all the event scripts laid out so they know how the events should work. Isn't eaier to build something based off of something you know works rather than doing somsething completely new? Common logic would lead me to believe this. After all is said and done, it is much easier recreating a zone then creating a zone from nothing. It's easier to build a house when the foundation is set than building a house before you even level off the property...

And why on Earth would you even want to flaunt that you are the most knowledgeable person in the game? If anything, that shows how much time you dedicate to a game rather than something that is constructive and tangible. It's like declaring yourself king of the nerds...

[IMG]
    Devildawg likes this.