Possessed Dreadstone Weapons

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Arcaine, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Abazzagorath Augur

Its not cool that I'll probably be using the same weapon for 2+ years until they put the focus on something else or the rune gap on future weapons gets much better =P
  2. Crystilla Augur

"Most" became obsolete? Don't mean to be confrontational but since there really aren't many weapons for casters/priests yet in CoF, is that true? I know the priest CoF weapon does not have the +mana return proc on it and therefore is NOT traditionally considered an upgrade to any of the RoF weapons with have the proc (possesed or otherwise). Are priests one of the only exceptions?
    Silv likes this.
  3. Silv Augur

I still use mine (Enchanter) despite having access to the COTF T1 caster weapon. Sure, the new weapons have more heroics/HME but the Dreadstone has your "main" heroic already so it's not that much worse off.

I can think of a few instances where Dreadstone is logistically superior:

-Many guilds don't charge DKP for ROF T4 raid eyes so it is essentially a "free" item vs. the new item in COTF. Obviously if you're on a different loot system this may not apply.

-Poor drop rate on COTF weapons (dependent on the RNG obviously). The eyes and other collection pieces are guaranteed to drop.

-Flat out superior effects/foci/DPS versus COTF weapons for some classes

-Guild is in T4 but not in COTF. HOF1 is relatively easy so access to dreadstone would be much earlier than COTF potentially. Depends on where your guild is at in progression.

You could probably outfit your whole guild in Dreadstone before coming close to doing so in COTF weapons. Honestly, guess it all comes down to opinion and what you value as "important" in your gear choices. However, some Dreadstone are simply still superior to the current choices.
  4. Edrick Augur

Whats most uncool is that its a hammer and not a sword. And putting an ornament on it... just doesn't do it for me. Paladins are all about holy swords! This makes me want to throw my hat on the dirt and stomp on it, vintage baseball style!
  5. Yesway Augur

One of the main draw on a couple *monk included* is the 25% overhaste proc which is very nice. Stats and ratio wise they aren't always the greatest but the effects/procs can be a deciding factor.
  6. Agrippa Augur

I'm guessing Edrick isn't a Dwarf. We need *far* more axes and hammers over pointy sticks.
  7. Explicit Augur

The warrior weapon is probably one of the more forgettable of the bunch (amazing, already upgraded in COTF T1).

Sub-par (read: awful) "effect" and the same, boring, aggro proc that we've had since the dawn of time -- save for a brief break during T3 ROF.
  8. Axxius Augur

Not all priests are the same. ;) Shamans take the CotF T1 weapon with the remote healing proc, as they could care less about mana. Are clerics and druids actually in any danger of running out of mana in CotF to need the mana return proc? Some of our priests took the CotF weapons, some didn't, but I haven't seen anybody mention any mana issues. The raids don't last that long.

Dual-wielding melee use both, so those are not exactly obsolete. Not sure about berserkers. Casters: CotF T1 is junk for wizards and mages (dps downgrade). But for enc it's ok. Necros don't give a **** either way as usual. :D Tanks seem to be split (see above).

So overall I guess I shouldn't be saying that most Dreadstone weapons are already obsolete. Some are, some aren't.
  9. Edrick Augur

That is awesome. Is that with every heal bonus activated? Epic, armor, etc.?

Go back to mining dirt in Kaladim, you Tumpy Tonic drinking, bearded women loving, barrel rolling being of short stature!
  10. boukk_sebilis Augur

Question of choice, I personally value the extra heroics way more than the possibility of getting an extra 4% heal every now and then.
    Never really valued uncontrolled healing much and well dmg prevented is always lot better than healing in my book.
    I could see the use when grouping/soloing, but as far as raiding goes it s junk imo.
    Never heard of a pally keeping the T4 hof weapon before abbaz, but I ve not paid much attention to it either way.
  11. Tearsin Rain Augur

i cannot emphasize enough the extent to which it makes my brain hurt to admit how much i agree with you on this.
  12. Tobynn Augur

Some classes got a weapon with a killer effect or a clicky that will be useful forever. Other classes got a piece of junk they will replace at first possible opportunity. I dunno why the devs so often design such monumental disparity between quested class items.
  13. Tearsin Rain Augur

if i had to guess it's because it's unrealistic to expect that they would be able to predict all permutations for how people end up using these items and effects within the game, or for the particular devs who make items to be able to realistically understand the best case of synergy for all classes.
    while we'd all love to pretend that it's feasible for every dev on the team to be having a max level toon of every class in a raiding environment, the fact is that people just doing a job and writing up code probably have a good idea for some classes, and not so much for others.

i know that if i were designing a class weapon, i could come up with something truly amazing for all 3 tanks, clerics, many different melee and caster dps classes, and would be basically chucking ideas at a dart board when it comes to bards, encs, druids, and shamans because i don't have good of an understanding of those classes.
  14. Abazzagorath Augur

Looking at parse from last night, the lowest heal I received from it was 1531, and that came up a LOT, so I'm guessing that is the minimum heal with my heal amount values.

The one I posted was the highest, I have no idea what I had on at the time but that number came up multiple times so I was assuming it was max. Would have to look at the spdat to see what the numbers are on the field that affects how mod3s work with it I guess.
  15. Abazzagorath Augur

At a minimum (2 crushes, glorious, laudation) you should be getting around 14 ppm. At 1530ish min value and 6400 max you're probably looking at a minimum of 600 heal per second.

Chaining ostracize you could be getting 26 ppm (of course, no one is getting 26ppm ever since valiant deflection came out since its better to chain that, and PA also doesn't proc it).

But saying, conservative, 10 ppm at 2000 average heal for 20,000 healed a minute versus a potential 1% addition to the agility mod (which is easily less damage taken per unit time).

Tanking last night in the cotf raids (small sample obviously, I just wanted a number to work with) I had an 8.1% dodge rate and 9139 average hit dmg.

So being conservative at 10ppm if I avoided 2 hits per minute with that agility bump up one tier then I'd have better served using the cotf axe.

So with an 8.1% to 8.2% dodge rate (I know its not pure flat like that, but again, I'm being more conservative to make the best absolute case for the heroics), then I'd have to have the mob swinging at me 500 times a minute in order for the increased dodge rate to result in 2 extra misses per minute.

I do not think any raid mob we face is swinging 500 times a minute. And that was being conservative, which you can easily exceed (though if you exceed it by more than about 5 ppm then you're being dumb and not casting VD or PA enough).

So no, the heroics are not better. If you are swarming then yeah, the axe is probably better, but then you're probably using a 2her anyway for dps.
  16. Daegun Augur

Do raid level toons still swarm?

So boring ... and raid level toons are usually out of good aa to buy.
  17. Axxius Augur

They aren't swarming to gain xp for themselves ;)
  18. Silv Augur

^This is beyond true. Enchanters received a heal on target's target sympathetic proc for their dreadstone weapon. Some blindsighted Enchanters thought this was *WOW* awesome- shiny and new! However, given we have 0 mods in the heal department, thats about a ~1k heal not nearly often enough. I will say it's entertaining to hear people ask how an Enchanter made it on the heal parse (last place of course :p).
  19. Phrett Augur

Just remember this... a knight with the bixie raid shield doesn't need a weapon... they've already won EQ.
    Axxius likes this.