Portal server.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, May 8, 2022.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Is it feasible (meaning can it be done) that eq development create what I call a portal server?

The concept: A portal that you can zone into another server (a fixed server not associated with other servers) and find more populated then you're home server. A none raid server grp content only type of thing? After you're done grping can use the portal to go back to you're server?

Heck, could even charge per server port.

Is this a concept that is actually do able ?
  2. Loup Garou De loop de loop

So kinda like a place for everyone on all servers who want to group can gather?

Where everyone knows your name?
    And they're always glad you came
    You want to be where you can see
    Our troubles are all the same
    You want to be where everybody knows your game

:D Sorry for the levity its just certain areas of the forums have been really depressing lately
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

It's an interesting thought. Not sure I would want to participate, but I suspect there are those who would. Is it doable...maybe.

And because I have like the song quoted above for a long time.

Loup Garou likes this.
  4. Stymie Pendragon

My understanding is that they don't have cross-server technology at this time. Server merging is a similar process, on a much larger scale, which appears to be problematic.

That being said, I think it would be a great addition to the game. It would allow people of similar progression an opportunity to group more readily and make friends/guilds. Other games are able to do this, and I can't think of a downside. I like your suggestion, and I hope someday it gets added.:)
    Leerah and CatsPaws like this.
  5. Windance Augur

Yes it can be done.

Wow implemented cross server instances for their group missions / raids, etc. years ago.

Unfortunately it would take a fair bit of work to get right and this kind of thing doesn't seem to be on the radar.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Possibly, but if they did something like that it all gear would need to be no drop and you go with no currencies and an empty inventory.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Paladin Augur

No. Way to vulnerable to exploits, imo.

If you want to get the 'feel' of another server, just create a toon there.

If you want to socialize with folks on other servers, you can join channels across server or join cross-server channels. Or create same.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think they have stated in the past that the backend setup that they have does not allow for this to happen and it would require a major rework of how characters are stored to change.

Sure but WoW was developed after EQ and has a much larger dev team in order to make major changes to the game to support those types of features.
    Stymie and Wdor like this.
  9. Bernel Augur

This would probably be the biggest stumbling block. Different servers have different rule sets and different economies. Allowing people from different servers to mingle would allow many exploits that leverage these differences.

One example would be characters from raid-heavy servers being able to massively powerlevel characters from weak servers. The raid-heavy character could blow through content and let the weak server character pick up all the raid loot. Then the weak character goes back to their weak server and they are uber relative to everyone else.

It might work for something like monster missions or shrouds where everyone goes in equal. In that case there wouldn't be any carryovers from their original servers. But I'm not sure that many people want to play a shrouded character. They want to play their own character.

I wish there were shrouds which were "Generic class at level X" rather than weird monsters with AAs. That is, if I like playing druids, I would play a "druid at level 80 with standard gear, spells, and AAs". Even if it's not my druid with my gear, it would still be a druid and would be like playing my main character. If they had these kinds of shrouds, I could see cross-server grouping being a feasible option.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

OP is not looking to get the "feel" or to socialize. He is suggesting an alternative way to get groups.

Those who want to group would use this portal to go to a specific area where other groupers from other servers are and they could group there instead of languishing days, weeks or longer trying to get a group on their own server.

Its a very good idea as a way to consolidate those who need groups to proceed thru the game - but I don't think its doable.
  11. Windance Augur

The question isn't can it be done. The answer to that is nearly always yes it can.

The question is one of resources.

How much would it cost in developer time vs. the expected benefit?

Would something like this be easy? straight forward? Probably not.

Could they do it if they choose to make it happen, yes.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  12. The real Sandaormo Augur

They already have the ability to "copy" to another server, think /beta or /testcopy. My idea was to be able to do it for a set amount of time. So like if you did /Cazic Copy, you could go group or raid with friends on another server for a short period of time. No loot gains on the copied toon since it would be time limited. Make it so no loot or plat trading so no gain to other server other than your time there. Could help guilds or groups win raids or get achieves but would not effect your toon on your own server.

I think a lot of people raid in their guilds a few nights a week and that's fun but to add a night or 2 playing with people you know or meet would be fun also. It would widen your friends list and help fill out raids or groups in the mean time all over EQ.
  13. Grove Augur

Wasn't there a best of the best contest years ago? How did that happen? Was it copy-paste like Test?
  14. Arkanny Augur

Interesting concept. I personally would like and cross-server tavern for players 1-100 to gather up form groups and then go do stuff on /pick zones. Maybe that could be done? Anything that increases population on the 1-100 range would be a good thing for the game imo.
    Evye and MacDubh like this.
  15. Evye Augur

Neat Idea
    EMBRACE the popularity of multiverse

Technically off the top of my heads double names would have to be addressed

But fun idea to develop!

16. Ariana Augur

Could append origin server to name to make it unique.

How weird is it that in this world everybody has a unique name? Understand it from a technical perspective, but stepping back from that, a bit strange no?

This sounds like a good idea to help the world feel less empty. Who knows what the time frame to deliver would look like though.
    Wdor likes this.
  17. Evye Augur

100% agree and kind of hate it?
    Like no I've from Gfay not Evye from Halas!
  18. CrazyLarth Augur

I could see them create a portal server -only stores char and no items
    each sever your long into 2nd your char would have to require all these items - it is called EVERQUEST for a reason.
  19. Fenthen aka Rath

They really just need to merge servers into 3 groups:
    1. FV / free trade ruleset
    2. TLPs
    3. All other servers (normal Live ruleset)
    There isn't enough public / grouping population to sustain the game after the first month or two of an expansion launch. Everything is instanced zones nowadays anyhow.
    Wdor, Ariana and MacDubh like this.
  20. Ariana Augur

What your describing sounds like creating a character on a new server without the need to level/aa. Instead of implement this, they could just point to heroic characters or server transfers. I think what the OP is getting at is something like WoW's sharding system, where characters can freely move between servers for grouping opportunities and to bring a spread out community together. Why does it matter which server you earned an item on if it's all the same content? It's all EverQuest right?