PoR is... Uninspiring

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Accipiter, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

As a non-raider I have really enjoyed reliving OoW and DoDH. I skipped DoN because it's lame (I stayed in OoW instead). I've been reading up on PoR and I just can't get interested. I remember doing Saga Skins and the spell and progression missions back in the day. I don't remember it being fun in any way. The Devestation is a clusterfarg of a zone, for example. I suppose I'll do the spell missions (PoR is the aura expansion) but other than that I'm just not interested. The gear is only marginally better than DoDH.

Can anyone recommend "must-do" content for PoR that I'm not seeing?
  2. Jaera Augur

So I'll preface this by saying I have long believed Prophecy of Ro to be the worst / weakest expansion in EQ. It took some of the worst parts of DoDH (everything having disruptive abilities from Dreadspire/Demiplane, bane items, unclear and complex requirements) and applied them everywhere. That said, there's some things you can do that aren't progression that can occupy a bit of your time:

1. Arena Master's Challenge. Throw a group together and do 40+ waves of mobs to get a nice groupable charm that increases with power each phase. Despite the number of waves, it really doesn't take that long to do.

2. Farm stuff in Sverag. There's a couple of good items from there. The only problem is you can't really do this when giants are up because their disruption abilities (knockback + stun + blur iirc) are really not fun to handle at all.

3. Theater of Blood farming for alts / new people. The regen in ToB should be countered by the dps increases, and the chest items usually have useful clicks on them.

4. Tradeskill trophies. This is when they're introduced. Get your grandmaster trophies in preparation for Underfoot next year!

5. Corruption of Ro. This is a mini raid (I think its 36 people only) that gives you a guaranteed aug reward for one person, and some really nice items for other people. The raid zone trash is terrible, but the fight itself can be interesting.

The biggest problem with PoR, however, is that with the exception of Ayonae Ro's Circle 3 clicks, the horse from Event 1, and some of the augs sprinkled throughout, none of the loot in this expansion has any kind of longevity compared to stuff that has come before. TSS will replace pretty much every single slot as the HME and average stats take a huge jump in Ashengate and Frostcrypt, and it only gets more absurd in Solteris.
    snailish and Punchu like this.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Good info, thanks. I hadn't remembered that Theater of Blood had groupable stuff.
  4. Rouan Augur

Welcome to the 6 months big expac, 6 months small expac cycle. Every 6 months you'll be getting an underwhelming expansion with not much to do.
  5. Tachyon Augur

That's when I left Live for good!
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

PoR is basically the final hump, buckle up or take 3 months off and come back for the fun that is TSS+.
    snailish likes this.
  7. FluttyMan Elder

PoR isn't great but then we get TSS, Secrets and SoD that are way better
  8. Jaera Augur

TBS isn't that bad either, there's just not a lot to do outside of raids (sound familiar?) specific to TBS. Mostly just farming faction so you can buy Energeaic armor on your alts and buy rank 2 spells, maybe doing a couple of random quests around like the Towers of Hanoi quest for...something? I don't remember what.

Solteris makes up for that though. God I love that raid zone.
    Funk likes this.
  9. Darchon_Xegony Augur

TBS has Jonas Hand Augment and Tsaph Katta's Urn (lol).

I did the hand aug in era but never got around to the urn. Even though it's useless I'd probably like to do it on Phinigel.

There's also Phosphite farming off trash for alt Powersources... but I guess Alts probably won't have Purity armor until SoF/SoD.
  10. Jaera Augur

Oh right, I think I blanked this one out because of Sunspear island (the task where you have to loot items off two rare named...)
  11. Darchon_Xegony Augur

That part... I apparently blanked out. Less excited about that quest now.