[Please No!] December Server -no box

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by KarmaThaKing, Aug 29, 2015.

1. The Great Pink Ogre Elder

Why the hell would anyone be against the no box/no bot servers coming in december. They are NOT going to draw a large number of people away from the current progression servers. Even if they did there are more than enough Boxers on these servers they will keep on rolling along just fine. I myself expect I'll probably be playing on both, as the slow progressions will allow plenty of time to level characters on each server.

The fact is Devs saw a LOT of 1 month subs that stopped because people didn't want to deal with Mage box armies. So they are trying to create a server to get those customers coming back... maybe it will work, maybe it won't... worse case is the new server fails horribly and they transfer characters to the current servers if they want.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  2. liveitup1216 Augur

If you want to box, don't play on the no box server. There, I solved all your problems.
    Fallfyres, Zurd, MBear and 1 other person like this.
  3. SyDiko Augur

Completely disagree with this thread.

Your statement is entirely incorrect.

A virtual machine wouldn't work, as a game cannot be launched over a RDP session. Let me also point out that it would be silly to even attempt to build 6 VMs on consumer level host hardware.

A proxy can be blocked by just blacklisting the VPNs entire IP range, which takes just few seconds.

There really is no cost associated with any of this for DBG.
  4. Motherlee Augur

Right now, 13 servers are crying out in agony. That should count as dying.
  5. Nuttmeg Augur

13 servers of free accounts. Ok maybe that's harsh; however, my last 3 groups on live consisted of 1 paid account, lots of silver accounts, the rest free accounts (plus a few outside the group free accounts buffing us. ) 3 groups, 15 bucks.

On TLP, the last 3 groups I was in, 15 subscriptions + mine + 5 different paying "buff bot" accounts. 3 groups, 315 bucks.

Just sayin
  6. Thewiz Augur

Qft
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

The source if the crying is a completely gutted and now skeleton crew dev team and the horrendous train wrecks of awfulness that have been CotF and TDS. TLP's just a little side distraction from the real issues, when it comes to live populations.
    Vaclav likes this.
  8. Epicus Journeyman

Why would people who enjoy boxing play on a no-box server? They wouldn't, so your argument is moot. You are some how trying to connect multiple subscriptions to a single server. A more realistic outlook would be very little lost secondary subscriptions, only due to people not wanting to pay for their box account while they play on the no box server. If that's the case, you are basically saying that you would rather those people be forced to box instead of playing in a setting they prefer, and lets face it, if that wasn't the case then they wouldn't be playing on the no box server in the first place.

The no box server won't have THE REAL PROBLEM. THE REAL PROBLEM is solved. THE NEW PROBLEM is that THE REAL PROBLEM wasn't solved the way you wanted it to be. This may not even be true until they release more details, but we can assume, can't we?

So, you believe that 90% of the players don't have a problem with boxing. What are there, 20 servers? It sounds like 10% justifies a their own server. Now, I know you pulled those numbers out of your prison pocket, but using your numbers the no box server will be very healthy.

Not even going to lie. I received an email about the TLP and came back. What you are suggesting though, is that no new servers with fresh ideas appealing to a lot of people should be explored. That's not a solution to anything. A server merger needs to happen, not a server prohibition. If the game is experiencing death throws the worse thing you could do is nothing at all.

Boxing is essentially pay to win (win what? I don't know). It gives an advantage to those that do and at times punishes those that do not. Personally, I don't care if you beat EverQuest by throwing money at it. I do, however, care that people are pleading to prevent others the opportunity to play in a preferred setting.
    Zurd likes this.
  9. Steampunk Augur

I don't have a problem with boxing, except that I am not very good at it, so I have no motive other that pure curiousity when I ask: What is THE REAL PROBLEM, and what is THE NEW PROBLEM.?
  10. ranluwen Journeyman

I don't care about this server either way, but this guys grasp on economics isn't incredible.
  11. Tulgin Augur

Care to elaborate. The only thing clicking a Krono does is remove 1 from circulation permanently, slightly altering the supply / demand ratio. 0 money is directly going to DBG.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  12. ranluwen Journeyman

Because the less people clicking those krono, the less people buying those krono. It's like saying people who use gift cards aren't real customers, and don't actually provide income for a business. This is completely false, and actually backwards, gift cards are extremely profitable for companies, but the business of gift cards doesn't exist without the market who will consume those gift cards.
  13. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Glad to hear a person who sells accounts for krono's and real cash doesn't care about this upcoming server. Good support +1 to you.

[IMG]
    Fallfyres and Eliseus like this.
  14. Vaclav Augur

See Sheex's post: Correlation isn't causality.

My car's transmission failed the same day I ate a London Broil for a change of pace - the London Broil did not cause my car's transmission to fail, trust me.
  15. Reval Augur

I notice that a no box server is designed based on the allocation of fun. People that don't box have more fun playing without people that box gaggles of mages, but at the same time, the people that box said gaggles love to play on servers with other people. More fun is allocated to them due to this alignment.

Please as a customer since 2000, make a server where all of the fun is allocated to me.
  16. Eliseus Augur

This further supports the stigma I mentioned that comes from the idea of Krono and why so many request this server reach it's hand even further and disable this feature.

Also, this guy just got rekt.
  17. ranluwen Journeyman

Because we're obviously the same person. Yes, if I was going to sell stuff, I would use my in game name. That's smart.

And no, I don't care either way about a no box server, because I've two and three boxed for a long time, and I don't see any benefits to not being allowed to do so. Even on these servers there have been times when I needed a box or two.

Annnnd, I don't judge people for wanting the old school eq. That's your choice. I only posted because his premise is faulty. Whether you like it or not, boxers help eq stay in business. It's a fact.
  18. Tulgin Augur

But the actual act of clicking a Krono isn't a 1:1 supply and demand ratio. People are buying Krono's to use as currency, or stock piling them for future use. Consuming it for your account does almost nothing to the supply and demand chain so DBG receives 0 income from that. Consuming is no different to stock piling, both are taking Krono's out of the market, so if you have no intention of trading that Krono again you think DBG are getting money from that? lol. I've saved up over 50 kronos, with no intention of trading them, wow I've made DBG rich, from the image above it appears you have too.
  19. Fallfyres Augur

------
    Agreed Tulgin. They are receiving the benefit of recycling currency; not adding to a vibrant economy ingame or increased revenue for DBG. Which of course is why some of those who focus primarily on that kind of gameplay need a market to whom they can sell their wares.

That market will absolutely shrink if and when a restricted type Krono server becomes available, which is the why we see this the bulk of the discontent about the new ruleset server coming this winter. And continuing protest posts when in conjunction with the No-bot server, many players are asking and hoping for restrictions on player trading Krono's or at least a variation on how Krono is utilized there.
  20. Fallfyres Augur

------------
    The consumption of the gift card provides revenue in a number of ways irl because individuals pay a company for the gift card, and the recipient then uses the coin on that gift card to go out into the world and BUY something from some other/many other companies who have a product that gifted person wants.

In DBG-World, the point of purchase of the Krono(s) made DBG fresh cash, the recirculation/recycling/using other people's time and money to either earn cash for self in some way OR to pay for one's subscription(s) may be very efficient for that party. But trading a pixelated item for Krono's already bought from DBG that are floating around in the closed market of DBG's online games or in the Norrathian universe is merely a control factor. Revenue in this case is produced when real world money is initially paid to DBG for the Krono. Though Krono's do affect the ingame market economy, the subsequent utilization by whomever/however many people down the pipeline does not bring additional real world profit to DBG, period.