Please make an adjustment to Gloomingdeep moving forward

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by snailish, Mar 24, 2017.

1. snailish Augur

Gloomindeep opening with the quest armor in the form it is in on Phinny makes the "newbie" armor (that is mostly flagged as PoP) not worthwhile for anyone that goes through the tutorial. I see the value in Gloomingdeep as a focused restart point for new/returning/alt players as it puts you together and is nicer XP in a tight area. PoP feels kind of early for that to be truly needed, even on Phinny with the slower XP rate (you just got PoK book fast travel, and places like GFaY were still busy at low levels). Besides, the goofy charms in LoY should have a little bit of time as best in slot?

For Agnarr though... with the Lock so close to PoP and the xp better than Phinny I think something should be adjusted, and the adjustment should be made with other future progression servers in mind, in order of least estimated dev work:

1. Flag Gloomingdeep as GoD or OoW era, means Agnarr doesn't get it, also means PoP era "Newbie armor" gets a window of time as best you can quest on other progression servers.
    2. Leave Gloomingdeep available at PoP, but revert the armor to the older form that isn't better than the PoP era quested "newbie" armor.
    3. reflag the "newbie" armor to Luclin era.
    Renshu and Bobbybick like this.
  2. Renshu Augur

The Glooming Deep armor/charm is way too powerful for PoP/LDoN. It also trivializes some good twink gear, ruining a section of the market. When it came out on Phinny, I thought it was released accidentally.
  3. Potsos76 Augur

Doesn't the Gloomingdeep armor lack raw hp/mana and mostly add stats? It's absolutely great armor for low levels, but once you start acquiring other pieces, the value seems to drop as you get closer to stat caps. Am I wrong? Wouldn't be the first time. lol
  4. AgentofChange Augur

Ya they should probably not add it in PoP. Some later expansion would be better. But at the same time, who really cares.
  5. taliefer Augur

i fail to see how a 5 to wis/str/sta/int and 10hp/mana charm is OP for planes of power era at all.

the armor all has abysmally low AC, and i dont think any piece has more than 15hp/mana? and thats the BPs. and maybe 1 or 2 to resists? not seeing how this is so vastly overpowered it needs to be adjusted. its entire point is to give new players to the game at this point an easily obtainable, serviceable set of armor to help them get started.

i think it serves that purpose just fine.
  6. Gemini Syringes Augur

This was really what I was thinking myself. I was WIS capped by level 50 on my Druid and probably earlier than that.
  7. fransisco Augur

The market on tlp is already ruined with Krono traders.
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I think the overall point OP makes is that ALL newbie armor quests are meaningless when the Tutorial armor is already better than it (and much easier to obtain to boot). Asking for newbie armor quests to be moved to an earlier expansion, like Velious/Luclin, means that both the Tutorial and Newbie quests will have a time and place when they are the preferred method for a new player to gear their character (ignoring twinking via Krono selling).

LoY charms are just awful though, they remind me of some of the very questionable itemization from kunark/classic era, short of removing the charm from the tutorial I can't see anyone ever using them. Even then people would likely still opt for a stat-less Intricate Wooden Figurine.
  9. taliefer Augur

fair enough. i always thought the newbie quest armors should have been left in original, or at the latest added during kunark anyway. i never felt the outrage that they were so OP even for classic. youd still replace most of it with the midlevel quest armor anyway, or just get a set of banded and roll with that till planar for most melee classes.

even the newbie melee weapons arent absurd when you consider how out of line any caster class is in terms of damage on progression servers.
  10. snailish Augur

Yeah, I'm not irate that the tutorial with the version of armor live on Phinny is live on Phinny, I just think it is contrary to the logic that moved all the "newbie" armor quests to be PoP era flagged to obsolete them in PoP era with the tutorial dropping giving better armor.

I'm not a stickler for "exactly era correct", I like to see content well used. Newbie armor needs to be at least an expac earlier than the tutorial.

I lean towards the Agnarr community not needing the tutorial with the lock setup... and that Gloomingdeep's era being set GoD or later (though GoD could be nice for the starting Berserkers on future progression) is the simplest way to put value back onto the newbie quests with minimal effort.
  11. Brunlin Augur

The tutorial wasnt originally released at POP...it was around Gates of Discord, I think it was a little after. I think on Fippy it was added at GOD if I remember right. To open it at POP is just dumb. I hope its never added on the pop locked progression.As for the newbie armor it originally came out close to POP, so they have that one right. I wouldnt mind it being flagged to Luclin though. As for the mines of Glooming Deep, it never existed in POP
    snailish likes this.
  12. snailish Augur

Gloomingdeep has also changed since it first was put in place (the actual zone once and the armor twice iirc) so the "tuning" is likely well past GoD for original intent. Modern intent may be different, which I can accept --but as I said, it would be nice for the newbie armor quests to "have their time".
    Brunlin likes this.