Please adjust mob respawn timers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Atomos, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Some of the new expansions have 6-8 minute respawn times.
  2. Celestian Elder

I'm curious why I see random people say this. When you says "servers" what are you referring too? Because if it's hardware that seems a rather bold assumption as most hardware/gear is "cloud" based and can on demand be increased (cpu/memory, network, datastore).

Or do you mean something like... database servers having a "unfixable" latency built in by some code flaw from the original source that cannot be corrected w/o a major rewrite.

If either one of these things where is the source of this "servers can't handle it now"?

As to the OP, I agree. Yes please, reduce the spawn timers.
    Stymie likes this.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

That's a ridiculous example. Quest mobs have no place in this discussion. Lots of zones later have very short respawn times. Arx Mentis comes to mind, as well as pretty much everything that comes after that expansion.
  4. Triconix Augur

Source:
  5. Captain Video Augur

The EQ server software is 20+ year-old technology. The people who keep reminding the ignorant player base of this fact are not "random", they're people who work or have worked in IT and know how the technology has evolved. The memory limits we're talking about are hardcoded into the software. They don't magically get changed by running an EQ server on a virtual machine in the cloud.
  6. Atomos Augur

And like I said in another thread, if that's true, then why doesn't Commonlands, one of the most populated zones in the game, have insane respawn timers? And, how exactly is 40 people in Lower Guk "heavy load?"

Other old games have updated their server software over time to be relevant with the modern times. What's EQ's excuse? And the sad part is that of all the pre WoW online games, EQ still has one of the largest communities/makes the most amount of money while others are long gone or might as well be. I cannot fathom someone at the top never thinking "If we want Everquest to continue, we are going to need to update our server software."
  7. Triconix Augur

Why are you asking me? A dev is the one who said it, not me. And maybe the commonlands zone isn't really under too much load because most of the people are doing nothing. People actively killing in a zone is going to create a lot more bi-directional traffic to and from the server than just a people standing around /oocing. You have pathing equations going on, melee/cast/proc equations, etc etc. All that is going to be more demanding on a zone.
  8. Atomos Augur

It's a public conversation, means I'm asking anyone, player or dev.

We did figure out in the other thread that Commonlands doesn't have a normal outdoor respawn time, it's got a 2-3 minute respawn, so even if population caused double the Commonlands timer, 5-6 minute respawns wouldn't make that big of a difference.
  9. Aiona Augur

I have to agree with this, can confirm my typical group was like this.
  10. Captain Video Augur

But Everquest >IS< continuing, and growing with a new expansion every year, without the need to re-engineer the server software. It isn't a simple update to do what you ask, it's a complete re-write of the game. If they had enough developer resources for a project of that size, we would get an EQ3 rather than a revised EQ1. Players should consider themselves lucky we have any TLPs at all; the modern game on Live servers is chugging along just fine without them. TLPs continue because they make money from all the Krono sales, and that process also keeps chugging along just fine with the game as-is.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Their excuse, IMO, is that they didn't do it when they had the money and the staff. But to be fair they probably didn't know they would be doing anything but nursing this thing until it sunsets, at that time. TLP's started happening and life came back into the game, but by then DPG had shrunk to the point where they couldn't do it. They have started growing again and that is good, but we don't know when that kind of undertaking would be possible.
  12. Nickatropolis Augur

I'm sure its been said but instead of adjusting spawn rate, you could make the mobs significantly tougher but also give significantly more exp per kill.
  13. Atomos Augur

I don't play Live but I keep up with the game. Every time an expansion launches people complain about how bad they are, how some content doesn't even work, and how broken things remain almost until the next expansion, which hardly has any content in the first place, for an expansion anyway. It takes 3-4 expansions to make up 1 real expansion, and it's been that way for a long time.

It's the other way around. Live players should consider themselves lucky that TLP exists. Because TLP is the reason there is still an Everquest today. The population counts of TLP vs. Live aren't even comparable.

The need to re-engineer the server software has been there for a very long time. It doesn't take more than a moment to find someone complaining about the servers' issues - which is why if you pay any attention at all, you'll find that they have been working on their server software. Because they need to.
  14. Captain Video Augur

Sorry, you lose. The TLP vs. Live population is just about 50/50, and it's been trending more towards Live. Quite a few Live players, such as myself, also dabble on a TLP server, so the number of players unique to the TLP side is actually somewhat smaller. Comprehensive stats on this were released by the new owners shortly after the sale last fall, you can search the forums for them.

By you own admission you don't know what you're talking about.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

My god, you're a disagreeable character.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to keep up with the Veteran's Lounge. So because he doesn't play on Live his knowledge of Live is invalid? I don't even...
  16. Atomos Augur

Like I said, I keep up with the game. Forums, Discords, Reddits, and Patch Notes are all things I read for games I am both currently and not currently playing. Everquest is one of the games in that list.

I've also logged into many servers to check their populations myself.

Boxing is way more prevalent on Live because the lack of population makes people feel like they HAVE to box. That artificially inflates Live population numbers. On TLP, I join groups all the time where it is 6 humans playing. On Live, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone not boxing.

Edit: Not to mention, new player guides and advice pretty much warn you that you are going to need to box.
  17. Captain Video Augur

I dare you to post this, and/or your previous post above, word-for-word on the Veteran's Forum and see what kind of response you get. This is why the vast majority of veteran Live players think the TLP forum is made up of a pack of drooling idiots.

I've played for many years and have never subscribed to more than one account, therefore I do not box on my Live server (Vox, was Trakanon pre-merger). I have boxed on the Test server, in order to, well you know, test things. Yes there are Live players who box. There are also guilds on Live servers which have been around since launch. Live servers don't have bot armies or Krono farmers inflating their stats, either. New player guides warning you that you have to box? Source or it didn't happen.

See above.

In fully instanced zones they can do pretty much whatever they like. In the old-world zones which were coded as open-world, and never expected to be instanced, it is a different story. The tech used to make /pickzones possible locks them into things staying very close to how the open-world zone was hard-coded.
  18. Celestian Elder

I'm curious, where is this source for the information you're presenting above?
  19. Captain Video Augur

Many past dev posts about it. Search for anything by Prathun, he was the /pick guru.
  20. Celestian Elder

"In fully instanced zones they can do pretty much whatever they like. In the old-world zones which were coded as open-world, and never expected to be instanced, it is a different story. The tech used to make /pickzones possible locks them into things staying very close to how the open-world zone was hard-coded."

I did not find any discussion where they said all the old-world zones were coded in such to make it difficult to adjust respawn. It seemed, respawn was a relatively simple change for the cases where they made them.

Right now, in lguk, it's 30-33+ minutes respawn which makes it... not so great of an experience currently. I'd love to see that changed.