Playing in Third Person (I don't even)

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by BlueberryWerewolf, May 13, 2019.

1. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

So, as I posted before, I'm a third-person player. My main computer went down the other day, so I'm having to play on a backup until my new one gets in. The backup is..... not happy to run EQ. On raids for the last two days, I've had to play in first person. O. M. G.

I was having trouble positioning, got creamed by adds, ate some AE's I didn't have to... all because I couldn't see what I was doing. I know this isn't always a problem for people that always play in first person; my roommate does, and he's excellent with his situational awareness. But holy smokes, I can't go back to it!
    BlueberryWerewolf likes this.
  2. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I am entirely open to the idea that playing in more modern content changes the equation.

Also boxing, which I may end up doing on a Live server at some point when Mangler starts feeling too slow between releases.
    Aenvar likes this.
  3. Dreadmore Augur

you also get to see any particle effects on your weapons if you play in third-person :) I didn't spend all that time and effort on ornamentations for other people!

one thing that is a bit tougher is gauging your distance from an enemy as a melee character. your perspective and perception can be skewed based on the environment, like uneven terrain, and your exact camera positioning. I am sure there's a way to mod the UI so that you always have a target ring under your feet so you can align it with your target's ring though
  4. IronWillow New Member

I've always played 3rd person. I started 20 years ago by accidentally choosing a PvP server and 3rd person was crucial in being able to see the other players sneaking up on me. I'm no longer on PvP, but 3rd person stuck with me. I like to know what's going on around me at all times.

I have a friend who is always tanking for us but can never see where the mob is coming from or loses track of the mobs constantly, resulting in his or others deaths many times when it could have been avoided. Lets not even go into the invis situation equalling more deaths....
    Dreadmore likes this.
  5. Dreadmore Augur

oh geez, now that you mention it, let's

I understand that some people don't have quick reflexes or much situational awareness in real life or in games, but when I was grouped with these kinds of people, it was the worst

some of them also happened to be people who were unclear in their writing communication and preferred running through dungeons invisible rather than crawl. some of the most frustrating, least productive hours I've ever had in EQ

:mad: