Playing EQ-Windows 8

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Smiggs, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Smiggs New Member

Hello folks, I am due to get a new computer today equipped with windows 8 and I was wondering if anyone here had some tips/tricks about running eq with 8. The laptop comes with 6gb memory and 2gb dedicated graphics card.
  2. Oranges Augur

Why don't you get W7 and save yourself the hassle.
  3. Smiggs New Member

It wasn't a choice I had on the model of computer i bought. I am not paying extra 130 dollars or whatever windows costs for a downgrade lol.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

New computers come with Win8.
  5. Petto New Member

Make sure you have DX 9 installed & that you run EQ as Admin. I have been running windows 8 since beta with zero issues yet. Actually its a little faster than windows 7 by about 2-3 FPS.
  6. Old School Journeyman

Everquest run's great in Windows 8. In fact, it runs faster than in 7.
    I run both operating systems, and both have great pluses and minuses. I think w8 has a lot of little things to work out yet, but for the most part its a great OS. Don't let the naysayers spook you.

But let me tell you what you need to do to get Everquest to run on windows 8 -
    1. Turn on the computer
    2. Go to the Everquest website and download the installer https://www.everquest.com/free
    3. Run the game installer.
    4. Win

If you have done what I did, and installed windows 7 and windows 8 on separate SSD's, and have a larger third traditional hard drive as your installation drive, you don't even need to re install completely!

Here's how.
    Open up the Launchpad.exe, and the Everquest.exe, each once. They wont work right. Thats fine
    This is just to get them recognized by your Antivirus software and Windows 8. (You do have antivirus software right? This is still windows. Norton is still the best.)

1. In your AV software, make sure both launchpad and everquest.exe have all acess permisons
    2. AFTER doing that, then download the installer from https://www.everquest.com/free
    3. Fire it up. The software was great, it said. "Hey wait! You already have everquest on this obscure hard drive over here!" I was amazed! Great coding SOE!
    4. Choose repair installation
    5. The installer downloads all the crusty old Direct X 9 stuff, etc etc.
    6. Create a shortcut for Everquest.
    7. Start up EQ. Win!
  7. iniari-TR Augur

ignore all of the above.

go to the everquest website and download the patcher and run it.
    or copy over your EQ folder.

you wont need to worry about directx9, its already a part of win 8.

I have a desktop with win 8. EQ runs great and no issues.
  8. Uxtalzon Augur

Played EQ on Windows 8, had 2 FPS even with classic models and stickfigures on, no spell particles or anything. I was like... omg I wasted my money on this piece of junk.

Then I looked at my graphic card's drivers, and it had none. Found out what they were by the model and downloaded them and installed manually. Now it runs smoother than my main computer, with all effects on full blast. I can even run through guild lobby and it barely even flinches in framerate. Runs spectacularly and the only reason I don't use my laptop instead is because it's a laptop and I prefer towers. :p
  9. Qinju New Member

I have a clean install of Win8 and I still had to run the directx installer, I believe the game needs the d3dx runtime. The game runs just as good for me on Win8 as it did on Win7, no worries.
  10. Angahran Augur

a) Easy option (if you have your old pc available). Copy the \EverQuest\ folder to your new PC, somewhere NOT in any of the system folders. So, place it in C:\Games\EverQuest\ for example.
    b) If you don't have the old pc available, you'll have to do a full install. But make sure you change the install location to somewhere outside the system folders, as above.