Players dont actually want "classic" EQ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Thomasmgp, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Thomasmgp Elder

If people really wanted the complete classic experience they would be on p1999 where pretty much everything is accurate including those really awesome rust brown skeletons with yellow eyes. The simple fact that all of you are playing on either LJ or RF proves 100% without a doubt that you never truly wanted to relive classic EQ in the first place.

There is so much stuff either out of era (soul binders, godly mage pets, Origin) or just completely absent (manastones, rubicite, dragon teeth) that Im starting to think a vast majority of you didnt play then.
    Jordis, Bole and Flandersian like this.
  2. Jent Elder

P99 won't run in full screen on my PC. It always reverts back to a small window. Can't find support to fix the issue. That's my short story of why I don't play there. That and they wipe lower level chars all the time.
    Bailen and Mogossis like this.
  3. Darth Augur

They don't wipe any characters. Ever.
    Mogossis likes this.
  4. Darth Augur

Most don't play there for two reasons.

1) Can't get a legit copy of Everquest Titanium, don't know how to get the install to work.
    2) The raid scene is absolute bullsh1t and garbage. If they'd wipe the server, or make a new blue, more people would play. No one wants to start up and realize without RMT they're never gonna have anything.
  5. Azzudien Augur

I played there for awhile, then I was banned for supposedly RMT. I was lvl 12 with 50pp. I had a wurmslayer that random warrior gave me to welcome me to server.
    Never go back when where generosity is punished.
    Duder likes this.
  6. Jent Elder

Then give me my lvl 4 Troll shaman and his 168pp dammit. Took me a day or two solid to amass that fortune collecting unwanted loot from dead troll guards.
  7. code-zero Augur

Not to belabor a point but P99 uses the client from Everquest Titanium which includes Classic with the first 10 expansions.

They may cripple it to use only original models and have features killed but it's far from Classic
  8. Darth Augur

Talk to Rogean, he has an account here as well. He will likely help you.
  9. Druz Augur

This thread is a nonstarter, the OP has already established that he believes his evidence is 100% proof. Do not engage.
  10. Rauven Augur

I do no want a classic EQ.

Zergable 16,000 hp tank and spank 'bosses'. I say that in quotes because they're just names with unique models. Needless to say, I'm giddy at the fact that is changing.

No.. I want a nostalgic experience, play when cloth, leather and banded means something. I want the experience to be nostalgic.. but hard. Require coordination. Surprise us, kick us in the pants, beat the tar out of us till we figure it out.

Reliving the experience with knowledge that helps, but doesn't ensure success.

This is not a Classic EQ. This is a harder (or can be if they do it right), less forgiving EQ compared to 1999. Sure we don't have corpse runs, but those were only there to waste time. Forget the artificial time sinks, let our failures and our relearning of the content be the time sink instead.

EQ players claim to be better than WoW or other MMORPG players. Lets put that to the test. I'm up for the challenge. I wonder if the rest of you are.
    Vetis likes this.
  11. Agrippa Augur

I'd rather have no GM support than corrupt GMs. No thanks.
    Barton likes this.
  12. Solkos Augur

I play on Lockjaw and I would have rather seen a version that was much much closer to classic EQ. I would have rather seen 4 blue servers and 1 red to distribute the population.

Here is the simple reason that I wont play 1999 right now: It is almost in Luclin expansion and that is not where I want to start.

If the 1999 folks opened a new server or if daybreak opened a server with the same ruleset as 1999, I would be willing to pay more than my current 15 dollar sub to play either of those. But for now, I will raid in lockjaw and ignore the bots and those using keystroke programs to control 4+ characters (hard to ignore these players because they are the biggest annoyance to me) and ignore the obvious balance issues going on with pet classes.
  13. Rauven Augur

BTW, this is classic EQ. As made and updated by 989 Studios/Verant/SOE/Daybreak.

Not a cheap knock off using an outdated and buggy version.

Sorry to say, the version before GU1 wouldn't run on your PC today. So this argument is redundant.
  14. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

Except maybe some of us don't want to be stuck in Kunark (or soon) Velious forever? P99 announced plans to continue releasing content then sure. Until then this thread doesn't even make sense.
  15. bober Lorekeeper

I love P99 and R99, well I like the dirt bag community of Red99 the most. I never thought I'd like PVP Everquest and never tried it until I gave Red a shot and played there for about a year and a half. I'd still be playing there today but there was always a few things in the back of my mind that kept me from fully committing to the server.

1. While they claim there is no risk of being shutdown due to copyright issues, and honestly they don't have much to worry about at all. All it would take is one suit to be filed and the guys running the server would most likely shut down, maybe not permanently but for an extended period. This would leave me unable to play a toon I invested a HUGE amount of time in because its classic and that exp rate on that server is LEGIT slow.

2. If you think the high end raid guilds on this server are competitive and "hardcore", the guilds on P99 at the top are worse, at least last time I played. However, the GM enforcement of rules is pretty good and they seem to respond fairly quickly at least on p99 servers, may take weeks on Red :(

3. The RMT issues they have had in the past really did ruin the game, especially on Red. Getting your a$$ beat by a twinked out rogue repeatedly at level 12 with no gear was a bit frustrating. This isnt a big deal really since its part of the game but still its a bit silly.

All in all, I really really enjoy the p99 servers and I'd love to see them open up a 2nd server to alleviate some of the overcrowding that can happen at peak times. I've just always been leary of any emulated server, it wouldnt take much for a handful of guys running the show to get bored of spending that much time and effort into a project then walk away from it leaving hundreds if not thousands of players with nothing.

I would whole heatedly support a DBG server that is doing what P99 is doing. Revert back to a true classic experience and progression timeline would truly be glorious.

PS. servers down atm, time to post
  16. Sadsong Elder

I'm glad you know what everybody wants.
  17. Steampunk Augur

1) I hate the old character models.
    2) I hate not having a compass.
    3) I hate not having maps.

I don't want it that classic, thank you.
  18. Saero Andronicus New Member

velious hasnt even been released yet and they have been in kunark for 4 years, where do you get your information from I have no idea, but you might want to do your own research
  19. Necromonious Augur

oh the irony
  20. Darth Augur

Not ironic at all. 4 weeks of classic, vs 4 years of Kunark.

One you still have a chance, the other you may as well kick yourself in the di-ick.