Player Suggestion: New Gear Slot - Worn Effect.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sokon, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Koryu Professional Roadkill

The Ammo slot sort of works like this, since you can't get actual stat boosts from it, but you can get % based skill modifiers (like tradeskill trophies and the Tear of Alaris defense skill mod). It's not perfect, since it doesn't account for worn proc-based spells (Boon of the Seeress, Ring of Revenge) like you're thinking, but it's a place to start investigating.
  2. Sokon Augur

Yes, that is the idea, add a few slots similar in function to the ammo slot and it's utilization of mods. I think it would add alot of replay value to old items as well as encourage new itemization in the future. Many chase items have incorporated unique special effects, however due to the way loot evolves in this game, many of those special effects that took reasonable time to code and implement, then took numerous hours to attain, were then unfortunately used for only a short period of time. WHile many of these effects did not receive upgrades they retain replayability if given some function such as that suggested here.
  3. Tucoh Augur

I think it's a great idea.
  4. fransisco Augur

#1. this would be very buggy. There would be all sorts of items with wierd stacking and other problems. It would end up taking LARGE amounts of dev time - which would subtract from them making fun game play
    #2. This will produce huge unexpected effects. Some classes will probably find unexpected combinations which will totally alter game play/balance (see berzerkers not getting nerfed for 2 years running).
    #3. #2 will soak up a ton more dev time as they will now need to totally balance the slot around every potential item that can be put into there. Dev time is precious, and this will create a HUGE bag of bugs and problems.
    #4. It doesn't add anything to the game. You aren't getting new gear, experiencing new things, working on new stuff. You are just reusing crap you already have. Its a power grab for zero cost.
  5. Kingok New Member

Perhaps make it a keyring? (they do love those things).

Put all your old unique worn-effect items on it, then pick the item you want for active worn effect stat.

In general, seems like a cool idea worth considering.

Gives folks a reason to go back and do some of the old content too.
    Leigo likes this.
  6. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

How about you go play another game or stop making suggestions for entire classes because some village is missing you.
  7. Leigo You come here often?

I like the keyring option this could offer. Being able to put 10 items on the ring and only activating one at a time as the situation calls for. This would give access to those special effects folks are longing for, but not make it overpowered by having 4+ active at a time, while also allowing necros to stick their epic on the ring and retain the effect.
  8. Boneshear New Member

all these worn effects have pretty trivial/but cool effects as is. many have as litle effect as clicky self buffs. Perhaps not a keyring, but maybe they could just add worn effect functionality to the top or bottom several inventory slots, such that putting any item in those slots would give your character that item's functionality. This would mean to gain item usage of worn effects not worn on gear, the player could place them in those inventory slots in place of bags. This would mean the player would have to give up a bag slot for each addition worn effect desired. I think this trade off between carried bags and some trivial additional worn effects would mesh well.

to clarify: focus effects, worn effects, and "in combat" effects would all be considered as worn effects in these suggested slots and activate?
  9. Orienn TreeHugger

I think it's a great idea, since there aren't any chase belts this expac unless you count the boon of the searess on group content item vs none on the new raid belts. I support this idea!
  10. Toriann Journeyman

I think it's a great idea.
  11. Qbert Gallifreyan

The idea on it's face is nice, but I could see a couple of other possible implementation methods that don't require an equipment slot. Given the housing/anchor issues that have cropped up in recent months, I'm not so sure that expanding the data files to allow so many items per user is inherently stable. I would rather see this idea implemented in one of two other ways.

Implement a new innate aa line to capture the selected worn effect (presumably through npc turn-in or something like that) with a counterpart aa that resets it/is not tied to the clicky buff aa lines and their reset button. Or, if it was truly to be limited to only one worn effect, each successive choice could override whatever was then in place. I only mention this idea first since it seems aa is where there is the most flexibility/sensibility. In reality, I think it is better suited for another place in our game (see below).

Alternatively, since we DO already have a way to trigger worn effects without actually wearing an item (that is exactly what tribute effects are), a new tribute line could be generated that allows the tribute master to recognize your item's worn effect in some way (you hand it in and it returns it, or maybe you hold it on your cursor and say a keyword for the script to analyze the worn effect, something like that).
  12. Sokon Augur

right, any effect the gear has that you would otherwise get from wearing it

adding all these effects to tribute through turn in is another way they could incorporate this I suppose. There would be a tribute cost and something you had to turn on/off but either way, I see alot of replayability/value in doing something that encourages/establishes some sort of reuse of this considerably large set of interesting items.

In a way you can consider doing this similar to past quests which reused old items that were once top teir items. SUch as using signet of might in the artisan's seal, or the coldain shawls for the shawl aug etc. Some inherent replay value was given to older items through their necessity to obtain before gettting upgrades. In similar fashion they could add value to the player through doing somehting with all these worn effect items.
  13. Coagagin Guild house cat

Consider making the line of epic weapons as an aura instead of a primary weapon or weapons. Force people to complete the next epic update say by expansion or two. Every other expansion increases the weapon aura, thereby keeping the epic - well epic Or at the very least epic enough to bother with.

As it stands today most epic weapons are completed simply to add a few more points to the achievement bar and little else,

Great idea though. Really shows some lasting promise.

- Team Coa
  14. Sokon Augur

they actually did this in diablo III. our worn effects are quite trivial to legendary weapon effects in diablo III, and with the cube all players went from 3 to 6 legendary effects. I'm just looking for maybe 5% more hand to hand skill from some vex thal gloves, spell proc belt so I can wear a new belt, and maybe some riposte shoulders from vt or the fc shoulders. lots of options, can mix and match tons of different items for some albeit trivial upgrades, but some major replay value in my opinion. so many items with cool/unique worn effects.

WTB Diablo III's Kanai's Cube
  15. Evilash Journeyman

They already nerfed the SK epic, it only works against your primary target, not repostes.

Otherwise, I like this idea, a single slot similar to the ammo slot where the worn effect works but none of the other stats work.
  16. Sokon Augur

"but maybe they could just add worn effect functionality to the top or bottom several inventory slots, such that putting any item in those slots would give your character that item's functionality"
    ~ Boneshear

simple suggestion, i like htis. add the funtionality to the top or bottom 1-3 inventory slots. trade out bag for some worn effect. sounds like a fair trade off to me.

book of obulus. new wornslayer. 2 more items with considerably useful/unique worn effects. These items would retain desirability through some function in which they could be continually utulized, as such is the topic of this thread. 2 items whose final versions require a rare raid drop combination. sound familiar? You can simply extend the desire to raid all of eok for continued expansions by adding such functionality to such items.

similarly, adding a special worn effect to the chase shoulders of cotf and the chase helm of RoF, that could be utilized with a new worn effect function, would encourage/revive raiding in the entirety of those 2 expansions. not to mention rof T4 weapons.
  17. Sokon Augur

I like this idea, but I like this one better:

Bag of Coalescence
    - New 4 slot container, wt 1.0, wt reduc 100%, cap GIANT, LORE, NO TRADE
    - Any items placed in it has their Worn Effect automatically applied
    - All Access Required
    - 5000 DBC

PTW FTW!!! ;-)

I'd like to think that you'll see this from DBG before you'll see a new inv slot...but this is certainly more work I'm sure.

Plus it would be a revenue making *machine*. Anything that brings in revenue for this game is a good thing if we want to keep playing it...

I'd buy it too. Generally however, I think the idea here is so good(adding funciton to existing worn effects) that it could be the selling point of a future expansion.