Player Suggestion: New Gear Slot - Worn Effect.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sokon, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Natal Augur

Basically what you are asking for is gear that never has to be replaced. The whole idea behind chase items is that they are useful, but get replaced once better gear becomes available. You move on. They are supposed to be special for that expansion, not last forever, which is essentially what you are asking for.

Your suggestion is not going to happen.
    fransisco likes this.
  2. Triconix Augur

Except that two of the above three chase items has a TBM replacement (or will the next live patch).
  3. Kunon Augur

I find holding onto older gear for specific worn effects over newer gear with slightly better base stats to the only real choice with trade offs that we have anymore that has any noticeable effect. Sounds like you don't want to have to make such choices. Other than that, assuming you get all current gear every expansion your "choices" between nonvis/aug options will generally yield less than a 5% difference in stats. 5% is nothing when you consider what mobs hit for and the cost of spells.
    Sheex and Sancus like this.
  4. Sokon Augur

The amount of time we have to enjoy most/many of these items doesn't warrant the time spent making them imo. Any worn effect item has been replaced the very next expansion. Given the amount of worn effects in the game compared to the amount actually utilized by any players it's kind of sad to see. There are so many cool worn effects items in the game but we don't get to use them.

Adding a new feature that would allow us to utilize 1-3 of the many worn effects would add replay value to the game and revitalize older content to obtain those items.

None of the worn effects in of themselves are any more powerful than a tribute effect or other negligible stat increase - but they are cool and fun to use - give us a way to use them at our benefit.
  5. TarewMarrForever Augur

I like this idea, but I like this one better:

Bag of Coalescence
    - New 4 slot container, wt 1.0, wt reduc 100%, cap GIANT, LORE, NO TRADE
    - Any items placed in it has their Worn Effect automatically applied
    - All Access Required
    - 5000 DBC

PTW FTW!!! ;-)

I'd like to think that you'll see this from DBG before you'll see a new inv slot...but this is certainly more work I'm sure.

Plus it would be a revenue making *machine*. Anything that brings in revenue for this game is a good thing if we want to keep playing it...
    Leigo likes this.
  6. Laronk Augur

I'd buy it
  7. Boneshear New Member

A way to use some of these worn effect items I have rotting in my bank would definately be cool. And not to mention sticking my necro epic in that would allow me to finally use a new primary all the time. Tradeskill mods are worn effects, have all the ts mods on at once could be convenient.
  8. Natal Augur

So, what you are saying then is that for rare items that are desirable for the effect, you want to be able to use the versions from old content (which are much easier to get). The effect of that is that people will put effort into farming old content instead of putting effort into new content.

Essentially you want chase items to be things you chase in old content rather than in new content. I'm pretty sure the devs would see an issue in that, since it undermines the entire concept of a chase item.
  9. Acme Burnz New Member

npc u can hand item in and get aug + item back.
  10. Sokon Augur

Having to use every attack ldon raid aug just to make the attack rating cap really doesnt make using more type 3's viable and creating such an item would let us use too many worn effects(potentially one in every slot). Perhaps it could be limited to primary secondary slot, then they put type 3's in weapons and we put worn effects on those.

The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of cool worn effect items in the game that noone uses because there is no appropriate way to use them.

There are many ways they can give us to utilize such items: a new key ring for worn effects, more gear slots only utilizing worn effect on gear put in it, or some sort of crafting way to extract worn effects into some sort of aug. - Doing such a thing would add immediate replay value to older group and raid content and future worn effect items will be more desired as well.
  11. Restac Journeyman

I agree. I would like to equip a newer necro weapon but the worn effect is just so nice. The stats from a new weapon would be great to have but the focus is just to much to lose. At least SK doesn't have to equip their epic to use the clicky. Then again after 8 years and I come back to eq I was guessing they'd be up to epic 5.0 or so after 15 more xpacks. Still the same ones they had when I left. Maybe they could update them a bit instead. I always kind of liked the idea of epic quests and wished there was higher tiers. Maybe epic gear quests would be fun too. Give the non raiders a chance to work for a piece of class specific raid equivalent gear.
  12. Ssixa Augur

While I will admit to liking the idea for a worn effect slot...some things are better left as chase items and in their time. Also, your examples are vastly different. Block mod isn't a "worn effect" like the dreadstone weapon has. The effect on the Stoneoak is combat activated, not a worn effect. The ring of revenge would work. The girdle and TDS raid belts (which are getting TBM equivalents) are worn effects, but then you're opening the door for someone to use 2 (or more!) of these effects at one time. It sure would be awesome to proc slow, proc cripple AND boost my procs by 500...but the intention is largely that you can only have one of these effects at a given time. Otherwise, they wouldn't all be on the same slot.

Regarding the Necro epic...just add a type 9 augment slot to it (and all other epic 2.0/2.5s to be fair) and be done with it, imo. Does it "fix" the problem...no not really, but it offers a variable stat gain for the weapon to keep its stats somewhat relevant through levels 75 to 105 (and possibly beyond?). This change wouldn't really affect Progression servers, since the vast majority of type 9 augments are not available until TBM (some LDoN augs and DoN augs can fit in a type 9 slot - nothing gamebreaking, especially when you consider that a good necro probably already has BiC in the type 4 slot).
  13. Lingum Elder

Let me introduce you this little game I like to call EQ2.....
  14. Triconix Augur

What? :confused:

I'm saying that your point of items never having to get replaced are actually getting replaced with items with better stats, the same cool focus, and are much more common. None of the TBM replacements are considered rare. They are normal loot chest items and don't require achievements, lots of currency, or very good luck. Guilds will most likely be wanting to farm the newer content over older content for these reasons, plus having better stats. (Everybody loves upgrades).

I'm also saying that these focus effects are not special to that expansion or raid as multiple items now have that effect which one could reasonably conclude they they will be used sometime in the future also.

So what I'm really saying is the exact opposite of the conclusion that you so wrongly came to. Not really sure how it was even implied that TBM replacements = guilds wanting to farm older content more.
  15. beryon Augur

That's a relatively new idea for EQ. It used to be you put effort into getting a rare item because it was something you'd get lasting use out of. When everything gets replaced by the next round of spreadsheet items, nothing feels special anymore. Look at how many people put effort into epics vs. people who went for the Dreadstone weapons.
  16. Sokon Augur

I thought this was apretty good idea from a coulple years back. Bascs of the idea. Add 1-3 ui slots similar to the ammo slot. Any item could be put into any of these slots. The only benefit your character would receive is is any/all "worn effects" or "focuses" that item has. As there have been many BiS or end game items in the past to have very sought after worn effects which only maintainted their use that expansion(stat wise), by incorporating a strictly worn effect slot(or several of them) we would gain some functionality from many old cool items. And everyone who did not have said items already would instantly be given many items to go farm, more replay value and it just makes a whole lot of sense.

Would love to see a devs input, thanks! Maybe a selling point for an expansion in the future.

example, say there were 3 slots, I'd put in:

cloak of shadows(12% riposte) ~ VT drop
    frosted wrap(8% block) ~ Frost Crypt, best monk item of the expansion
    dreadmasters katar(haste song proc) ~ Heart of Fear, end game T4 combine weapon. Neat line of weapons for everyone, unfortunately T4 rof was only end game for a couple of months due to it coming out late and the launch of cotf

most recently there has been tank shields with procs, and the Boon of the Seress belt was launched several expacs ago,k no replacemnt for a couple expacs, then we got it again last expac.... with just any one of them in a new worn effect slot would do
  17. fransisco Augur

How about finally changing the necro epic instead of devs spending a CRAZY amount of time on something that will be very buggy (require a ton more dev time), and also give some classes really OP stuff that isn't expected.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The Dev's have had numerous occasions to rectify the necro epic problem, but for some reason they are too scared of the necros to do it. They have no problem completely destroying other classes abilities which they have had as long or longer than the 2.0s have been around, but they won't fix that one.
  19. Reval Augur

I gotta say, old Sokon's on to something with this one.
  20. Sokon Augur

This posts suggestion was not about the necro epic, however, implementing such an idea would fix the necro epic, as they could then just place that worn effect in a worn effect slot. I would like to see criticism of this idea, as it implies to all items involved, not just the necro 2.5, thanks