Player Studio - EverQuest 1 no longer supported?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I've noticed that Planetside 2 is churning out Player Studio items (i.e. helmets). I am not sure about EverQuest 2 but there is no mention of any problems there. Is there an explanation as to why we (EQ1) haven't seen anything in months? Can a dev or Roshen follow up?
  2. YellowBelly Augur

I would not be surprised. EQ is so ignored Holly has never even mentioned EQ on Twitter since I've started following her early this year. It's all EQ2 all the time. It looks like both the market and LoN are closed.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Motherlee like this.
  3. Riou EQResource

Believe the main dev in charge of marketplace was laid off in the February round of lay offs. Last time they were messing around with stuff you get the things like spamming ! is for sale lagging people, or the things like LoN items costing pennies on Test.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Randell New Member

Never understood the logic of firing the person who was the one making the game a decent amount of money. While I don't know how much was made before and after this individual was shown the door, I do know I used to spend more in market place purchases than I did subscriptions for a majority of my accounts. Since the layoff, I really haven't spent anything. I can't imagine that I'm the only one.
    Maedhros, Zujilli, beryon and 4 others like this.
  5. Coronay Augur

Would be nice to hear something about this. I think the only new items they have made since Feb are those firework weapon ornaments. Lame.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

There have been a number of threads about this over the past few months that they haven't been releasing Player Studio items.

They did layoff the main marketplace person who knew their system the best. And also took people off their extra Player Studio duties to work on the TLP servers.

The quote from Syrah on the PS forums a couple of weeks ago:
    There are plenty of items waiting for months to be released. And I've seen them start to review new submissions again. So possibly they will begin releasing items again soon™ :rolleyes:
  7. Mayfaire Augur

You are definitely not the only one. I used to buy new player-made items all the time.
  8. Numiko Augur

Not everyone was fired, a lot saw daybreak as a sinking ship and decided to jump before being pushed.
    Silv, Gyurika Godofwar and Motherlee like this.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I think Holly is a wonderful person but the idea that there is one producer for both EQ and EQ II strikes me as fairly indicative of how we stand. EQ isn't worth our own producer, end of story.

We just have to be lucky that EQ is still running and they are working on more content, no matter how little we get.

But still, the idea that the main profit center for EQ (Marketplace) is not churning out items strikes me as rather shortsighted (also LoN is neglected). Doesn't Daybreak like money?
  10. Danille Augur

Everyone has to admit that due to a lack of revenue, they lay people off and they lay off the person in charge of one of the main sources of revenue - Marketplace. :eek:

Perhaps they have someone who has never run a profitable business making personnel decisions now? ;)
  11. Nolrog Augur

Or, one producer can adequately cover both games, so they can have more developers instead. Or would you have an EQ only producer at the cost of one dev and one coder, is that better?
  12. Motherlee Augur

At this point, I have no idea why they even bought us. Usually, it's to strip off a profitable piece to resell and then throw the dried husk into the corner. What part was profitable?
  13. Rollen Journeyman

There have been a few new releases of shields and weapons in EQ2 recently so there is a pulse.
    From what I gather most if not the entire art team is under EQ2 now. There has been in the recent month new activity with EQ1 submissions as some of my items have entered the approved stage in that time, but it is about 6 months since anything new has been released.

Rollen
    Player Studio Artist.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would love to get an update on what is hapening with player studio stuff. And REALLY love it if they opened up player studio to making armor ornaments and not just those for robes.. which are fantastic I might add.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

They are reviewing submissions again, that's all we know for sure.

Anything other than robes is a huge tech issue with them, like so many other things.

It required an art dev taking a single robe model and then pushing and pulling the pieces around to fit every race-gender combo. So that one texture (submitted by PS artist) works on all the combos.

You can see some bad spots (accidentally welded verts) in what they did on various races if you look closely.

I really doubt they have the art dev resources to do that again for anything. Keeping in mind that the robe is one piece, not only would you need a specially made 'universal' model for each race-gender combo, but multiply that by the number of pieces.

Believe me when I say we PS artists would love it, but it didn't even seem realistic to expect of them before the buyout.
  16. Mayfaire Augur

The thing is though - they have to look at it as cost of dev time v. reward. I cannot imagine that the week or so dev's time would not be richly rewarded in the long term. There are a lot of us who have been asking for player-made armor ornaments beyond just the robes for a long time and I have a feeling that stuff would fly out the door.

<I know you are on the side of this MM, I am hoping that DBG sees the light on it, LOL>
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  17. Ratbo Peep Augur

Q: How would you set Daybreak up in a nice little business?
    A: Set them up in a nice BIG business. And wait.
    -Rat
    beryon and Iila like this.
  18. Koryu Professional Roadkill

It took long enough for Daybreak to put out a robe template that could be modified, and Player Studio artists are pointing out that it still has errors here and there. Despite the cool stuff these artists can come up with, I fail to be excited about player designed armor ornaments. I would never end up using them because the default shapes would be bad for me (as a frog). I know this because the actual official ornaments that have made it into the game do not fit well or look ridiculous on my race. Try previewing any of the Arx Mentis wrists on a frog, or basically any helm available from any set. The wrists are inflated to an absurd size and the helms just get stretched to cover the head. If the real ornaments look this way, I can't imagine what a botch-job the universal set of ornaments would look like. Basically, I don't have faith. Maybe it would turn out well for the rest of the races?

I am excited about the prospect of new weapon and shield ornaments, though. It's been a while.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  19. Rollen Journeyman

I just got an email back from Syrah and he is being trained to add items to the marketplace himself. I got the impression that we might see some new items in the next week or two. This axe should be my next item released.
    [IMG]
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You'd be better served to ask your question in a thread that has anything to do with what you're asking.

ITT we pointed out these are issues from months ago. You're talking about something completely unrelated and recent.

Here are three of my robes that have been waiting since Jan-Feb to be released. Hopefully they are "COMING SOON™"

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]