Player Housing ....

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Eknhomaht, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Eknhomaht Journeyman

HI!

So as some of you know I've returned after a 20 year absence....

how does housing work?

I have some station cash, and I have loyalty cash.

I heard some houses don't require upkeep?

If I buy a house with station cash does it require upkeep?

I am not sure what to buy or look for.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I have forgotten some of the details, but.

First open your /claim window. See what you've got in there. Some past expansions came with very special houses (with no upkeep). They don't do that any longer, and they don't sell them.

Use your Loyalty tokens to buy a house which has no upkeep. Read the details carefully.

If you have a bunch of Chronobines you're not using, or various other currencies including plat, you can buy a plot, place your house, and place enough in 'escrow' to last many years.

Hopefully someone else can fill in more details from there.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Eknhomaht like this.
  3. Eknhomaht Journeyman

OH COOL! I think I got some fancy armor and a horsey! Thank you for telling me about /claim! Not sure though if I have a house, I have to look up these items.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

With the /claim items.

If you have 999 of them, you can claim them (and destroy and claim over) on any character, any server, on that account.

If you have 1, you can only ever claim that on one character, whatever server they may be on.

You probably won't have a house, but you may have some place-able things like lampposts and such.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The rent free houses are any in the /claim or /prize and any purchased with loyalty points or in the marketplace.

All of them from Loyalty points are pretty much the same as far as space and are the largest houses. The difference is just if you want the wood look or brick and the style. I like the country manor. You can go to other neighborhoods and look around to get an idea of what the look like. I buy mine thru loyalty. Like 430 loyalty tokens. So now you have your house.

Do not buy a house from the NPC in Sunrise hills - they are way too expensive (10k) and charge rent. The little house you get from the quest also charges rent but can only be paid in plat not alternate currency like I describe later. But it is also a nice little quest to get some more info on housing https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=6914

Plots. You need to find an open plot. It can be in an open neighborhood or if your guild has a neighborhood you can buy one there. You cannot buy one in someone else's neighborhood. So go to the gate off the lobby and click on it and look thru the neighborhoods for an open one - ie one that does not have a guild name attached to it or use the filters on the bottom to show open ones. Plots also have a limit on items you can put in your yard like horses, pets etc. So you can play around with finding the larger ones if you want.

Once you get to the neighborhood then look around till you see an open plot. There is a low brick border on all plots and a square stone and the opening of the brick wall. Click that square and it will show you if the plot can be purchased and for how much. If it shows someones name then you cannot buy it. Plots are less than 100 plat.

Now once you bought the plot you will need to put upkeep in it in order to use it. Using the EQ button - real estate - manage -will bring up a screen to set your payments and currency. (or shift M if standing on the plot) You will need to put at least one days worth of rent into the plot in order to set your house. I suggest putting a year's worth in.

There is a little arrow above the currency amounts that will allow you to change the currency from plat to other ways. I use doubloons. Again using your loyalty points at the loyalty merchant you can buy bags of 100 doubloons for about 11 loyalty points/tokens. It takes 7 doubloons to cover 1 week. Pretty good deal I think. You can also use other currency's but that seems to be the most cost effective one.

So now your plot rent is paid you can pick up your house from your inventory and with it on your cursor just move it around in the plot till it turns green. That means you can set it down. You can pick it up and move it some more if you want it facing a different directions.

Your done.

You can buy tons of stuff for your yard and house to decorate it. Thru marketplace, the baz and many items in the game that say "placeable" can be put on the walls etc. Players like to hang swords on walls.

Next time you go to the gate you can enter your name and then hit search and it will return your plot so all you have to do is select it and click go and you will be in your hood. The go to the coil looking thing to the right when you enter and click on it and look for your name and it will punt you to your house.

You can place a primary or secondary anchor on your plot or in your house which is a great way to port there also.

The hardest part of all this for me was finding an open plot. I resolved that issue buy making a guild and then buying my own neighborhood but that is the next lesson :D

Enjoy and any questions please ask.
    Rijacki, Drexlin, KarmaKitty and 2 others like this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

And there is one special house, The Hermit's Hideaway that can still be obtained. It is a very random drop from the LON packs that are still sold in marketplace or if someone got one as a prize and is selling it in the baz. It is kinda small compared to the others. I have gotten 3 from the baz from players selling them from the LON packs.
    Rijacki, Drexlin, KarmaKitty and 2 others like this.
  7. Eknhomaht Journeyman

Thank you.

Do all plots have an upkeep fee?
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes .....unless.....

you put one of the special houses (The Wayward Lady, Hermit;s Hideaway, Bixie Hive or Evantil's) on the plot. Doing that will make the plot rent free.

The plot upkeep fee is what I mentioned above:
    Now once you bought the plot you will need to put upkeep in it in order to use it. Using the EQ button - real estate - manage -will bring up a screen to set your payments and currency. (or shift M if standing on the plot) You will need to put at least one days worth of rent into the plot in order to set your house. I suggest putting a year's worth in.
    Rijacki and Drexlin like this.
  9. Vhivi Elder

Just how much is the fee? You folks with millions of platinum undoubtedly have no problem with it but for those of us who struggle to make platinum, any sort of fee is offsetting.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I do not have millions of plat, I don't even have a Krono. Possibly because I spend so much time on the forums;)

A plot can cost 21 plat - 42 plat - 84 plat or 126 plat and 168 plat. You pay that fee one time to buy the plot.

Your upkeep for just the plot with no storage crates and a rent free house on it will cost 4plat/8plat/12 plat or 16 plat per day.

So if you go expensive that would be 16 x 30 = 480 plat per month. That would be less than 3 blue diamonds sold to NPC for a whole month. If you go the cheaper way then it would be 4 plat x 30 for 120 plat a month.

You can use some of the alternate currencies available in EQ in order to pay for your plot up keep (Doubloons, Orux, Phosphenes, Faycitum or Chronobines)

So if you have lots of that alt currency just sitting around you can use that. It costs me about 140 doubloons for 20 weeks. And that is 2 bags of doubloons @ 11 loyalty tokens each. They hold 100 doubloons each.

Using this method you can easily pay for a long time with a few bags of doubloons. You can use other currency just as well but the doubloons work out to be the best buy for the money.
    Rijacki and Drexlin like this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I used to do the "Follow your Nose" quest in Oceangreen Hills cause it was easy and you can get Chronobines from it and pay with those

There are a few other in Oceangreen Hills that will net you free Chronobines too
    Rijacki and KarmaKitty like this.
  12. Vhivi Elder

Thank you for the information. That price is not overly burdensome so I may actually have to look into the housing one of these days.

To be perfectly candid, I have never seen any alternate currencies anywhere in game. I suspect I have not reached the level or location where they are found. Just so you know, there is a VAST amount I do not know about the game even though I started playing in 2000, raided in the planes, and have been off and on over the years. For me, just getting past level 70 has been a tremendous hurdle and I have not achieved it yet. I grow tired of the game while trying to grind levels even at that level. Most of the zones that are bonus exp I have never before ventured into. Finding places there to adventure while solo is ... confusing at best.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You probably have them and don't realize it.

They are rewards for doing missions. If you look at the top of your character inventory screen you will see a tab that says "alt currency" that is where they are stored until you "reclaim" them to use them. Click the box at the bottom to show all the different currency in the game that are rewards.

If you have ever done a mission or task and when the reward pops up it says you got xx experience and other currency, well that is where it went. Some times the reward will actually say how much you got. So it is very possible you have some in there and never saw it. Its not like plat where you pick it up.

You can google something like Chronobine in eq and it will come up with some info on how to obtain those (those come from The Seeds Of Destruction (SOD) expansion which was put out in 2008.

Usually you would use the currency to buy armor or spells or other goodies from merchants in those expansions. But now they are also accepted as rent.

This is a nice listing for you to look thru and the links will show more info
    https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Alternate_currency

And btw (by the way) gratz on level 70 - those are hell levels! I always had to do the Franklin Teek daily for the level below what I should just to live and get experience
    Drexlin likes this.
  14. Vhivi Elder

I shall take a look at it next time I log in. I do believe I saw the tab for currencies, but since it did not come with directions I never understood what they were. I assumed they were rewards of some type that could be traded in for platinum at some NPC somewhere. Guess I got that wrong :oops:

The last expansion I was active when it came out was Gates of Discord. I tried going there back then but getting to where the exp groups were located was very dangerous. Worse than Velious, another continent I barely explored. Anything from Seeds of Destruction is alien to me. :confused: I could not even tell you where that sits in the line of expansions.

Thank you for the congratulations but it is a little premature. My highest level character is 68 (rogue on Erollisi Marr named Vhivi) and the character where I spent my raiding time. I have a second account and leveling an enchanter to go with her. I learned fast that after Luclin zones, the opponents over powered the mercenaries so I raised the enchanter for buffs, slows, and to bring a healer to the mix. That character is level 60 and the pair are in Bastion of Thunder although the exp is slow. That is part of the tough grinding I mentioned although that team works rather well together. :cool:

Others have recommended places besides Planes of Power, but they are all from Kunark or Erudin where the levels are no higher than in Luclin, nor are the opponents any tougher. The Planes used to be the 65 to 70 leveling area until Gates of Discord with the Wall of Slaughter, but I went there and found hardly anything to fight. Not sure why that place was so great back in the day. o_O
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For alternate currencies, I would go to EQ ZAM, and search there. That will show you which expac it goes with, where you earn them, where you spend them, and what can be bought with them.

Also, if the currency is tradable, and if you need to do some progression to unlock the vendors.

For the tradable currencies, someone might help you out if you ask nice :) Several years ago, I was talking to someone about needing help to do the last quest to unlock the currency vendors in TBM. He helped me out with the mission, and then as we wrapped it up, he gave me almost 20K in coins!

There are lots of nice folks playing EQ. Just get to know a few.
  16. Vhivi Elder

Thank you, Tatanka. There are indeed many nice folks playing the game although meeting people is not my forte so to speak. Chattiness is not one of my characteristics. Ironic since I am a writer. The thing about asking questions is first you must know what questions to ask.

Case in point. Spells used to be crafted by gathering words or runes and combining them. No more. Now you have to go to the spell research vendors and spend hundreds or even thousands of platinum to get a few skill points. And to what purpose? The spells are available at the Plane of Knowledge vendors. Toss that idea on the scrap heap.

I like to occasionally try to raise a character from level 1 in their starting zone with no defiant gear. Ah, but I do have characters to pass a few crafted items to them. That sort of works until I get to jewelry. The old way of enchanted metal with a gem no longer works. Now I need to do what? Cut a swirled flazjymmied stone with a twernfangled loop-a-hoop for a level 10 to use. Seriously? Toss that idea on the scrap heap.

And so it goes. I read threads here although I do not understand most of what gets said since I do not understand the language (i.e. gamer jargon). Bags are a good point. People talk about this fuzzlenoggle guy to get that type of spendacularized huge bag. Really? I look at my 8-slot or 10-slot bags and wonder just how in blazes do I find that. So I continue to raise my tailoring and while the bags do not get larger, at least their weight reduction and item size acceptance gets better. For the components I can find at any rate. Apparently the best are from zones I cannot venture into yet.

Oh well. This sounds more like whining than anything so I apologize. I shall keep trying to learn the new stuff and invest in a Gamer-to-English dictionary so I can understand what I read here.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Spells: The crafted ones are rank 2s, so they are better than the ones you buy in PoK library. There are cheaper ways to level spell research, but if you're talking about the cost to make the actual rank 2 spells, remember that the rank 1s can cost 1000 plat or more, so 1500 plat to make the rank 2 isn't that outrageous.

Jewelry: It may be annoying, but the new jewelry is vastly better. I just did a write-up recently on here for another player. Look at EQTraders, and search for compartmented trio jewelry. Use this website (http://www.kyros.info/Tradeskills/JC-Calc/) to see what gems you want to use in the setting, and then EQTraders to see how to make those gems. Again, more steps, yes, more annoying, yes, but vastly better gear, especially at the low levels, where it's truly OP twink gear.

Bags: I'll paste some text from my EQ notes spreadsheet:

14 slotter (Legendary) needs 3 dream dust, 1 Fantastic pelt, 2 Fantastic silk, 250pp filament (triv 524)
    16 slotter (Supreme) needs 3 essence of alaris, 1 Exotic pelt, 2 Exotic silks, 250pp filament (triv 524). 16 slotters can also be bought with Loyalty crowns.
    18 slotter (Flawless) needs 3 Planar Energy Shards, 1 Befouled pelt, 2 Befouled silks, 250pp filament (triv 524)
    20 slotter (Transcendent) needs 3 Ethernere Essence, 1 Befouled pelt, 2 Befouled silks, 250pp filament (triv 524)
    32 slotter (Extraplanar Trade Satchel) TS needs 1 Fantastic pelt, 1 >extraplanar< silk, 250pp filament (no fail, must be 300 skill, so no skillups/trophy progression from this one)

The 14 slotter needs mats from HoT, so if you're much below level 85, that may be out of reach for now.

Hope this helps.

PS - are you a Larry Schweikert fan? If so, you'll know why I asked. If not, don't worry, doesn't matter, and absolutely no offense meant.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You can google anything. Just put eq at the end of it so it narrows down your search.

Google bags in eq and I got this:
    https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Bags

But I prefer this one which was a few down from that one
    https://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/guides/bags/

None of us know everything in EQ.

A lot of it is we have to research and ask questions. Google is my go to when I have a question.

Even the abbreviations or gamer jargon are on google.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Vhivi Elder

Rank 2 spells? You mean that Mezmerize spell on my enchanter has a rank 2 that is "better?" Better of course being subjective.

514 trivial? What!? o_O I thought the maximum skill achievable was 300. How in blazes do you craft something at 514? You mean get 50 sets of components and hope to get a bag out of it, and if lucky 2? Seeing as getting to skill 168 (my highest tailoring level) broke the bank and took many many days of farming silk, getting to 300 is a pipe dream let alone 514. Here I thought getting the Trueshot bow back in the day was tough.

I have searched the sites for information, but like I said I do not understand what they are talking about. I believe that people have gotten so used to using the jargon they do not realize how difficult it is for those of us who do not understand the meaning to figure out how to do things. What you folks talk about doing sounds like an impossibility to me. I am building balsa models with few moving parts and you are discussing the construction of a Boeing 747.

As for Larry Schweikert? Never heard of him.

I do appreciate your help, but the more I learn the more I realize this game is so different and so far beyond my understanding that I am not sure more time invested in it is a good decision for me. What an incredible grind awaits. :eek:
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If you go to EQ ZAM and do a spell search by class, you will see all of the spells, and it will show what the differences are between the ranks. raidloot.com can also show some of this info. The rank 1/2/3 spells kick in at level 71. Prior to that, there's only one rank.

Tradeskills cap at 350, but there are AA's to decrease the likelihood of failures. Truthfully, with max skills, max trophy and max AA's, that 534 trivial combine actually has about a 50% chance of success.

No big deal on Larry S. You just had a way of describing things which reminded me of his writing.

Sounds like you're getting overwhelmed. Totally understandable, but let me offer this advice.... you can play this game and ignore a LOT of information. Just take baby steps. Find a zone you like, and hunt there for a while. Take things slow, and get up to speed on one piece of EQ at a time. Trying to get up to speed on every aspect of the game all at once is a recipe for disaster.

For instance, for the spells, rank 1s work just fine. Ignore spell research, and just pay the plat for your spells as you level. They're all in the PoK library, so it's very easy. If plat is tight, don't buy every spell, just the ones you will use a lot. Fill in the blanks later.