Play at Six?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by HalasRadar, May 20, 2013.

1. HalasRadar Augur

Play at Six?

Would you still play EverQuest combat if there are only six combat options?

01. Miss

02. Unskilled hit

03. Basic hit

04. Advanced hit

05. Master strike

06. Lucky strike

Turn based combat with your PC only getting one combat turn per second; to effect latency?
  2. Axxius Augur

Turn-based MMORPG? That's not EQ. Pass.
  3. Rylaar2000 Elder

4. Gragas Augur

I don't understand the question, so no?
  5. Nolrog Augur

Same here. (to the OP) Why are you asking? Have you found one, is that something you prefer over EQ now? What's the rationale for asking?
  6. HalasRadar Augur

Turn based combat would provide SOE with mathematical algorithm to inhibit; in-game cheating or exploits.

If a player was turning only one transaction a second with the server would that make the game feel slow?

Required use of a multi core player client CPU with the game running on one core and the security algorithm running on the other core would be a useful way to also manage latency and GPU updates.
  7. Ranpha Augur

I don't think you have any clue what you are talking about. Most of the "cheats" and "exploits" are basically part of the game, but you're just not allowed to do it. Making a mathematical model of the game isn't going to cure that, unless you of course make it different from what it is now (ie, fixing all the holes).

Furthermore, the user owns the machine -- they could simulate the entire eqgame process if need be, including multiple cores in an entirely virtual environment. So unless you are proposing to hand over full control of your machine to for profit organizations (something I'm sure they would jump at if given the opportunity) you basically can't win. Server side detection is all you got, everything the client says can be faked.

And yes, one transaction a second would make the game feel slow. Very slow in fact, as it currently does 10-20 per second.
  8. HalasRadar Augur

sitting alone in my room is NOT something Everquest needs to simulate
  9. HalasRadar Augur

hardware
    operations
    utilities
    system
    extensions

the brutal pace of hardware integration is not an excuse for poor software development
    SOE might want to focus on a game with robust expressions of Norrath
    world building is more important than raw combat

to expand Norrath in to the future the whole game of EQ Next should be rated for 64 bit multi core development.
    then limit combat for the world to keep pace.
    the entire content of Norrath moving across digital frontiers

would you like to see more combat
    would you like to see more maps
    more combat is going to happen with more maps

combat level is not going to make more maps
    in the real world; yes there is one place for earthmen to gain subsistence and combat is final.
    Everquest will always have combat elements just like real life; what we can get from EverQuest is endless maps.

How would the game EverQuest change if everyone had all the combat power they could ever have the first day?
    How would the game EverQuest change if everyone had all the combat power they could ever have the first day?
    How would the game EverQuest change if everyone had all the combat power they could ever have the first day as the last?
  10. Gragas Augur

WTB a translation?
  11. Iila Augur

What.

This is a markov bot making posts, right?
  12. Zalmonius Augur

Turn based combat would make boxing a significantly easier task, since you only have to send one command to a limitless number of characters. I can box my own raids with ftp accounts.

If you wanna see a turn based multi-character MMO, check out Atlantica Online.
  13. Stubar Augur

Tamarian translation would be "Shaka, when the walls fell"
    Beimeith and artofnoise like this.
  14. artofnoise Augur

"There are FOUR lights!"
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Did you watch that episode of TNG on BBC America last night too?
  16. Diptera Augur

"Absor, his fist clenched!" :)