Planes of Power... at level 60....in Kunark Gear

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Coirnav, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Coirnav Augur

PoP with 60 players at lvl 60 in Kunark gear is still not a challenge Daybreak. Pump up the difficulty of PoP would you.

Now I'm legitimately curious what a level 60 Kunark geared raid force is capable of taking down in PoP. Probably not PoTime, but I bet you can score some serious Elemental kills if you were really trying. Hell with enough tanks I bet there are some fights in Time that would be possible. Certainly phase 1-3 would be no problem with enough people.

[IMG]

The only thing that killed us on our trip to PoP tonight was this fun mechanic haha...

[IMG]

We were trying to find something more challenging to raid tonight on Test since everything in Velious just falls over. Now I want to see what a Kunark geared guild can take down when they are properly motivated.

It would be amazing to see a TLP server start everyone at level 1 with all the way up to PoP already open. We had some of the PoP group loot drop tonight that wasn't even an upgrade for anyone in Kunark lol.

I'm not saying we are amazing players by any stretch either, this content is simply too easy to complete. PoP should be a much harder and epic expansion than this easy mode version we have on TLPs now... like us old timers remember it being.
  2. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Many of the lower tier 1-3 planer fights are tuned to be weaker then some of the harder NToV content. I got 10 Krono that says you couldn't get to the EPs through correct flagging, let alone kill any of the meaningful bosses in them. I'll even give 2-1 odds
  3. Azereki New Member

Turns out I had accidentally auto-granted something like 450 AA's though. Oops. :D
  4. a_librarian Augur

I don't think you can undo the impact of decades of knowledge about the game and raid encounters in a meaningful way without stating to invent totally new ones with the skin of the old ones. I also think balancing raid content around exceptional guilds and players is a huge mistake when the popularity of the TLPs has a lot to do with giving casual players access to raid content they can complete.

It would be great for some challenge mode to exist that guilds could opt in for. Actually delivering a fun challenge that's rewarding in the right way would take a lot of work. It might take less work to create entirely new encounters balanced around fully decked out players in each era.
    Sagarmatha and snailish like this.
  5. Coirnav Augur

Or maybe a TLP dedicated specifically for hard mode raiding in general? One that actually you required you to gear a raid force well to take down content.
  6. snailish Augur

Your right in that old EQ is too easy.

But others are right that it has to balance fun & casual & raid interested & hardcore with some players doing more than one of these things (hopefully at least fun + something).

AoC instances could be the mechanism for a hard mode... choose normal = regular raid size. Choose hard raid size is limited to 30. Beat it in hard get better rewards (i.e., double loot table or something). If this works, add Extreme hard mode of beating it with 12.

Nice part of that is as mudflation happens the more casual guilds could catch up with the harder settings (get more loot while deploying less players).

In the meantime, there appears to be an ongoing effort to tune down DPS and overpowered abilities in the older game. That's a huge job with many, many loose ends to chase though.

And as others have said, we are way too smart as players. If the game was exactly as hard as it was back in the day the good-elite raid forces would still be facerolling most of the content. Adding the options of hard and extreme mode instance raiding could work well with the global tuning down.
  7. taliefer Augur

fewer people doesnt really make old eq raids harder, it makes them take longer. im really not sure what they could do to make old raids actually challenging outside of adding additional mechanics. which i dont know they can/want to do, and i dont even know if that would be a popular idea with the players. we play this content over and over because, for the most part, we like it as is. sure more challenge would be nice, but its a fine line
    snailish likes this.
  8. Coirnav Augur

EverQuest Remastered ?

mmmmmmmm :)
  9. Kahna Augur

Velious probably just falls over on test because there is no MoTM. Pop also doesn't have MoTM on test. Hence why MoTM was added.
    Alekyne likes this.
  10. Fumi-chan Augur

aka Pantheon.
  11. Febb Augur

Pantheon will be a great game when it releases in 10 years, however it has little to do with EQ.
    That0neguy likes this.
  12. RandomStrategy Augur

FTFY.
    That0neguy likes this.
  13. Alekyne Journeyman

Confirmed: mobs without MoTM too easy with 72 raiders.
  14. That0neguy Augur

You do know the MoTM for POP is like 5 or 10%? pretty negligible.
  15. Kahna Augur

My guild on Phinny cleared time before they put MoTM on raid mobs, then killed it the next week, after they put MoTM, while not something that stopped us from killing the mobs, you could definitely feel the difference.

But, yeah, most things fall over with 72 people, most stuff falls over with half that. Are you guys only just now figuring out that the game is easy?
  16. Coirnav Augur

We are new to EverQuest.
  17. Junior00 Elder

You would likely hit a wall at something like LMM or another hard hitting boss. Not being able to slow certain things, or resist certain things, or negate the chance or really bad rounds will destroy tanks with 7000hp/650AC/no aa's. There likely is some stuff in Time you could kill, as P1/2 are easier than most elemental stuff, but I bet the frogs in p2 would rip you up too.

I hope you understand that MOTM does more than damage reduction as well.
    Alekyne likes this.
  18. Ryak Augur

I'm disappointed you didn't make or at least allude to the obvious 'killing Agnarr' joke by fighting Agnarr at some point.

Also, yes PoP is easy. The only hard fight in PoP is Rathe Council. And maaaaaaybe one of the Zeks in Time.
  19. RandomStrategy Augur

When you're single grouping the towers in Bastion of Thunder, that earth giant tower (the ones that proc that 2k or some cone spell) is a pain in the . At least, it was day one of PoP.
  20. Azereki New Member

Some sort of hard mode option could be pretty cool. Can't begin to imagine how tricky it might be to implement properly into all the older content.
    snailish likes this.