Plane of War - Failure or diamond in the rough

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by shimazuul, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This zone is seeing some action on AB not sure about other servers, did a bit myself on Friday & Saturday. Numbers in zone were

Friday night

[Fri Jul 11 20:23:42 2014] Players in EverQuest:
    [Fri Jul 11 20:23:42 2014] ---------------------------
    Names removed as I haven't asked them if they wish to be named.

[Fri Jul 11 20:23:42 2014] There are 22 players in EverQuest.

Saturday
    [Sat Jul 12 19:29:43 2014] You have entered The Plane of War.

I wouldn't say those numbers were bad, I've seen far less in Tower of Rot. This weekend may have been a one off, or it maybe that AB is different, we had a few guildies playing there the weekend but I've seen some playing there on and off since it was released.

My only complaint with PoWar is the ghosting mobs, wish they would fix that.
  2. Agrippa Augur

Two more six hour days in Plane of War and two more days of trying to recruit other interested players. We did get one reply and have helped them flag for the castles, but the zone sat empty other than our group. I'm curious if those posting decent numbers in the zones could add if the players were raid or group orientated. Likely easy to determine from the guilds. On Firiona Vie, I've never seen anyone else in the zone, but I've heard that when it opened a couple of the raid guilds full raided the zone.
  3. Marshall Maathers Augur

A combination of both on CT. Freelance has been hitting PoW progression and named hard, in groups and raids. In terms of raids, it started with slaughtering strife for Judi's, hit every named outside of GM in raid format, and a lot of faction groups. There was a couple of weeks where we hit Rulnavis3 for people in raid format as well.

I have been out of the game for a couple of weeks now, but when I was last in the thick of things, we had around 15 toons with credit for killing GM over 3 kills.

Silent Redemption had a couple groups working progression, not sure if they finished. They killed all the other named, and spent a lot of time farming CoP4 items. There was at least one group from Hellfire Club in PoW at almost all times, not sure on their progress.

ToR took a bite out of the numbers actively working on it, but I have heard from a number of people that they intended to get back into the thick of it.
  4. Tarrin Augur

If anything, the fact this thread is still going with different view points means this question has not been answered.

Its the same few people claiming its dead, and the same other people claiming its not.

I am just curious what makes a zone "not dead", honestly. If the same standards for PoWar is put on other zones..doesn't that mean most of CotF is "dead" as well?
    Yinla and Necromonious like this.
  5. Necromonious Augur

First time I can say I agree with everything he said
  6. Zentara Augur

Bristlebane had more than 30 in zone last night for multiple hours. I brought 5 guildies with me, there were a couple lfg, and at least one guild there.
  7. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

My completely unscientific, unfounded guess is that more, and more people are either tiring of easy HAs, or hitting max AA/XP and heading to PoWar for better loot.

Combine that with the fact that the rush for Stonewood Compound Bows is over, and we're now seeing populations in PoWar start to rebound.

Today we get another part of CotF, so PoWar, like all other level 100 zones, will likely be empty again for a bit, but once people have had enough of the new Argin-Hiz zone, PoWar will pick back up again, probably fast than other level 100 zones.
  8. Tarrin Augur

First time you've ever been right then!

(jk, just couldn't resist a fun jab <3 )
  9. Ashten-Prexus Journeyman

I think the work they did with this zone is amazing, the quest and factioning getting fully flagged is more then all of CoTF combined. But what were you thinking with the loot?? Give us non shield wearers an incentive to get keyed for GrandMaster, feel bad for all the tanks and shield wearers that wont be able to scrounge up enough folks to get flagged just because of the terrible idea of making it a SHIELD only aug. Why not make it an ALL slot aug and give folks a reason to get fully flagged and max faction there?? Then one of the drops from GrandMaster has an overhaste clicky! But 10%?????? Thats the same that was dropped from OMM in Anguish , like what 8 years ago?? Come on! Be smarter then that! But seriously if you make this an ALL slot aug, this zone would boom in popularity! Everything besides that is good!
  10. Necromonious Augur

Mindbender I'm playing again and I've poked around in PoW a few times on FV.

You are right its always been empty. After finally having tried it, yeah PoW sucks lol. The trash mobs don't hit that hard, and some of their mechanics are interesting (the aggro-increasing debuff is fun to work around), but their hp is just ridiculous, they take forever to kill and don't drop crap.

I've killed a dozen trash mobs, got bored & left...
  11. Mordeen Lorekeeper

Looked in on Drinal yesterday afternoon, just to see, it was 5:17pm eastern and I had the whole zone to myself. Any time I have looked, 90% of players were wearing raid guild tags. I sent Dzarn a pm before PoW opened stating it would just be a raider loot pinata.....
  12. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Every expansion should have PoW type of zone. Casuals already have 8 zones to themselves.
  13. Edrick Augur

Completely agree. I haven't enjoyed a zone like Plane of War in years. And I am just asking for one, since I'm aware it isn't accessible by everyone.
  14. Unsunghero Elder

What they should do is make PuG-able raids that don't require progression, and give items scaled to balance that fact. I talk to casuals every day all the time in general, and do PuG groups a lot. There are a lot of casuals who are really interested in raiding, but just can't commit to a set schedule and are daunted by the 50+ player raid sizes.

Instead of giving the elitists more VIP zones to dry-hump with their raid gear, they should start finding better ways to bridge the gap between casual and raider. Because as long as I've been playing that gap has been as wide as a chasm
  15. Sheaffer Augur

Casuals have a pickup raid zone...NTOV. It's perfect for PUG raids with lots of targets, the ability to skip the harder targets, and little to no mechanics.

The real problem is that a lot of casuals a) don't understand how little time modern raiding requires b) refuse to put in the effort to learn how to effectively play their class...thus even further limiting them from raiding. I've gone on a lot of PUG raids lately and you get things like zerkers doing 19k DPS, rangers using nothing but archery the whole time, necros using only swift dots and swarm pets, warriors DWing, etc... And you know what, I get it, EQ is just a game for some people and they use it to relax and don't want to put in the time...but they also shouldn't expect to have all kinds of extra content when there is already plenty there.
    Mayfaire, Flinch and Iila like this.
  16. Danille Augur

It has been just about one year since this zone launched.
    Does anyone know how many guilds have beaten the raid as of this week?
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Last count I saw was 7 or 8. Lava net lists the completion dates still I think?
  18. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

This zone has had a lot more use lately. I presume it's either people gearing up for it, or getting bored of easy HAs. Instead of getting a group there around 10% of the time, I now have about a 40% shot. I usually see people in the zone during peak times. 7-15 groupers, and I'm guessing the #2 guild on our server is making an effort at farming Grandmaster as I often see 40 in the zone, mostly in that guild.
  19. Khat_Nip Meow

If by 'one year' you mean 'almost 6 months' then yeah.
  20. Maeryn Augur

1. Realm of Insanity - 06/23/2014
    2. Triton - 08/04/2014
    3. Shadows of Doom - 08/13/2014
    4. Inverse Logic - 08/24/2014
    5. Crimson Tempest - 09/07/2014
    6. Freelance - 09/12/2014
    7. Ring of Valor - 09/15/2014

The raid went live on May 7th and was nerfed on July 2nd. About 4.5 months of the raid being available and about 2.5 months of the current version being available.