Plan to do the whole game from scratch

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Inusaa, May 30, 2021.

1. Inusaa New Member

Hello,

I plan to start the game in one of the old newbie zone, and do everything until the current content.
    Without a mercenary.

How much will I suffer ? :D

By the way, what is the difference between the old newbie zones and the new one that seems to have updated graphics ?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You will not suffer. You will be a well rounded player who knows his class better than 90% of the others in the game. Esp if you don't auto grant.

I do something similar with new characters I create. Start them in the tutorial - just doing the quests in the center. Although I do get the free merc from the quest in there - I suspend him and do not use it. Then I move to POK and finish the other tutorial "Out of Gloomingdeep"

Then its off to Cresent Reach where I pick up some nice weapons and do a slew of quests in there. Look them all up on Allah for what ever zone you go to. From there I follow the Hero's Journey path.

I do not go back to starting city or the older zones much as they are really boring. Even without mercs we are overpowered now days with the armor and stuff. But that is up to you, they just don't have the fun they used to.

Overall playing without a merc till level 60 or so is not hard. Just time consuming.

Not sure what you mean about new graphics, can you give an example?

Good luck and have fun!
  3. Inusaa New Member

I meant that the very old starter zones made straight at the release of the game looks extremely dated compared to the new Underfoot starting zone, which is the new tutorial in a cave that also leads you in a new city outside the tutorial.

I'm very curious how is the content of the game for beginners starting in Crescent Reach, compared to old beginners zone.

I really want to learn all the lore of the game and become a very very good player. Anyway, I will need to, to be able to survive alone, with no mercenary and no players around me in the old zones :)
  4. Tucoh Augur

If you're multi-boxing you'll be fine, though "all content" and "everything" probably doesn't mean what you think it means.

An extreme definition would be to start by doing hunter achievements, where if you started with Field of Bone I'd wager you would move on before finishing.

Another extreme definition would be to try and do all raiding while level appropriate.

A more sensible option would be to try and hit every zone on this list:
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zlvlchart.html

Though you'll quickly outlevel the zones. I do a form of this when I level new characters: I try to hit zones I haven't really explored thoroughly or haven't seen in a while. By the time I clear it a couple times I've leveled so far beyond the current zone I have to skip most zones to keep getting XP.

If you aren't boxing you'll be limited in which classes you play and will probably be really bored. Best to pick out a handful of long TV series to watch while you do it.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

A lot. Yes it can be done but there is very little soloing that can be done and most of that is by either kiting or spending a lot of time medding between fights. The game is designed around grouping. If you want to play a single toon, at least use a merc. There is no reason not to. Really for the most positive experience you should 3-box with 3 mercs. Box 2 easy toons (casters) so you main has support.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Starting in Crescent Reach or Tutorial vs. starting in an old school home city is a vastly different experience. CR/Tutorial have labelled quest giving NPC's that send you out on quests with clearly described steps to complete and a clear reward at the end. These show up in the quest tracking window to track your progress.

Starting in an old school city is literally just "k so here's your starting tunic, a weapon, some food/drink, a bag, and a few bandages. Good luck out there, bye!" You are given little to no instruction about where to go or what to do. This was improved somewhat with the addition of newbie armor quests, but it's still a much less curated newbie experience compared to CR/tutorial.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Nolrog Augur

Start on Thornblade or Mischief. You will not have access to anything from the future and you can find lots of people to group with.
  8. Annastasya Augur

You will suffer greatly. Some people like pain though, and Everquest can be a harmless and constructive outlet for that kind of sadomasochism. Good luck!