Pick zones

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bigstomp, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bigstomp Augur

Is there any reason why you force people out of a zone?

In my case it worked out ok ( I was in crypt camp in seb, the odds of the static zone having mob alive for me to aggro was about 0)

My complaint is I was in a camp, enjoying playing, then I got a 15 min warning you're going to be kicked.
    Then I got kicked.

This is on a live server, I don't want to dps race the people i just got dumped on, I want to associate with them on what for live servers is a civil level.

Can we maybe leave the picks alone until they're not being used?
    EnchFWO likes this.
  2. EnchFWO Augur

The reason why this change even happened is because people were abusing /pick on Live and basically holding open extra pick instances with a single character. For days. I'm guessing it was so prevalent (because why wouldn't someone want their own EOK zone at launch) that they started to see negative effects (lag, server strain, IDK).

That said, I agree with you that their "fix" is completely ridiculous. Okay... zone pop goes below threshold... 15 minutes? That's it? I really doubt making that limit 1 - 2 hours would be any different. The issue was 1 toon sitting in a pick of a zone for a week (not even exaggerating). You would think we could at least do normal instance time limits (up to 6 hours).

/Pick was (and still is to an extent) a great idea. It was one of the only positive things to come from TLP to Live. But the subsequent poorly executed backtracking that tried to solve a problem just made the whole thing an insane annoyance since at any moment if you get a population drop then your /pick is going to poof rapidly in most cases.

IMO the current system is too 'simple'. Suppose I could solo the entire upper floor of HH OS - but because I'm maybe the only person there, my pick is going to collapse. So now I get booted to base and there are multiple groups doing what I was in my own pick. It's pretty much a loss on everyone now.

TL,DR: /Pick changes were overbearing and were too harsh of a nerf as a knee-jerk reaction to a short term problem (EOK launch). The rules should be changed to something that's actually reasonable. Fifteen minutes kick warning is not.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

There was nothing reasonable about thing. I was tanking some mobs with my warrior. The healers were healing, the dps was dpsing. Then I was zoning. Get rid of picks totally, or... make them stay while you're still busy playing in one. Or do we start dps racing on live (I haven't moved, is this still my camp?)
    EnchFWO likes this.
  4. High Voltage Augur

Does not compute.

It's needed on TLPs as there are zones frequently overcrowded. As there are no complains about the system in the TLP forums, you can almost be sure it works really, really well.

And one person finding itself in an unfortunate situation on live once in a while is no reason to change anything.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Do we follow the same forums?
    EnchFWO likes this.
  6. EnchFWO Augur

I agree. You obviously have no idea about how the situation with /pick has developed on Live and why that resulted in changes to the system overall.

But please, go check out HH OS on Live and tell me how well the system is working.

Pretty sure you missed the point of both my and the OP's posts. Maybe next /pick.

edit: I can't spell
    Bigstomp likes this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

The whole point is, I had a camp within a pick. The pick zone ran out of people, so they kicked me to the static zone.

Now who's camp is it? The group that had been in the static zone, or mine where I got forced to hit the static zone?

We sorted it out, we're adults on live. But it should't have happened. If mobs are actively being killed, the instance is not dead. let us keep our camp.
    Zahel likes this.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Oh, /pick abuses were happening in TLP too and they are very unhappy about this stupid kick everyone in 15 minutes as well.