Phinny Wizard s/molo guide?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rotlust, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Rotlust Augur

I recently answered the call to try Phinny and I have no regerts (tm). I have been leveling a wizard because it seemed to be a caster class that my team was in need of the most (and I like the idea of big DD crits).

My issue is in the mid 60s, leveling has been incredibly slow compared to other classes I play (beastlord and necro), and while I expected this, it's so slow I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

With full defiant appropriate gear for a wizard (+ spell dmg, mana conservation, etc) I feel like I'm doing little damage, and the fact that wizard benefits very little from mercs (at least from what I can tell) doesn't help.

Should I be quading? I usually go oom before everything dies because at 65 I haven't received a modern quad spell in a while. Should I be rooting/snaring single target?

what I've been doing is using a tank merc till it dies after a few mobs then kite/rooting till I can resummon/med. Am I doing something wrong? Does it get better?

EDIT: Yes I've done a search and checked the web, but didn't find anything era/level appropriate specifically for a wizard.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Love big DDs as well.

Played a wiz on agnarr.
  3. kizant Augur

Just snare single target if mana is an issue and aim for at level even cons. Mercs are useless. It helps if you can just turn off your brain for a few hours at a time. And always use burns as much as possible.
  4. Machen New Member

Or, just find a group and get 10x faster xp compared to a soloing wiz.

If money is your issue and you make at least minimum wage, it will be worth your time/money to buy 2 more inexpensive computers and 3box to max level. Otherwise you are going to spend way more than those 2 computers and accounts cost, time wise, in soloing your way up.
  5. kizant Augur

Grouping isn't very Wizardly.
    Gana likes this.
  6. Rotlust Augur

Grouping. That's pretty funny on Phinny.
  7. Silver-Crow Augur

While the pug game is dead on Phinny, The guild group scene is quite vibrant. I see lots of guild groups going on all the time with boxes/mercs being dropped in favor of real people.

Wizzy is a tough one to solo, so agreed the best way of levelling is groups.
    If you do have to solo, try hunting in the hot zones one level tier back. You'll find stuff dies really quick then. and you'll burn much less mana per kill, allowing volume kills. You might try moloing with caster merc too (on balanced), and as long as your out nuking it and keeping aggro, then you should be able to maintain a pretty good kill rate.

Cheers.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Wizards are a tricky one to level moloing but it can be done, first thing is use a cleric or caster merc, don't buy it any deaggro aa & let it take aggro, a cleric merc will tank a lot better than you do, a caster merc on burn-mode should hold aggro all day long off you & do decent enough dps but you need to blast that mob fast before the merc takes a dirt nap.
    You ideally want to keep it to single mobs until you get proficient & as soon as you hit 75 ask for help to get the Journeyman 5 merc quest done, as that opens up much stronger mercs that are less cowardly.

You could try quad-kiting though this takes time to figure out & get good enough at that it becomes a good way to gain xp, I recall some of the TSS zones were quite good for this.
  9. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

A wizard? Join OGC. If you have a pulse and color vision you can out DPS Dima, and that's the bar for recruitment. Once you're in get with Duprix for a powerlevel, he lives for that.
  10. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

[IMG]
  11. Kragin Augur

12. Roxas MM Augur

can you beat the drama though .... ( inside joke )
    Starr likes this.