(Phinny) strongest solo class for upcoming expacs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Damezza, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Damezza Augur

I'm thinking it's necro or shaman. But I've never been endgame in eq. Any feedback?

Also what if I asked the same question of agnarr
  2. Zinth Augur

there is no THE strongest... changes vary over time, also depends on soloing style... include merc later on?

the answer would be the same
  3. Damezza Augur

How long until phinny sees mercs?

Is one "soloing style" more effective than others?

Figured agnarr would be dif answer since classes like ranger aren't gonna be good for a long time and classes like a chanter are perma op since the server locks before the expacs come that bring chanter charm into balance
  4. Illusory Augur

Your questions are super vague.

Are you just looking to strike up a debate, are you looking for a class to play, or are you looking for an outlet to say,

(If the latter, please give it a rest.)

In my opinion, classes that can't heal themselves are the least solo friendly, including the Enchanter. Additionally, it depends on what you're looking to solo, for what purpose, and in what era.
  5. Damezza Augur

Solo because my crazy work schedule might leave me with only 1 computer and an odd chunk of play time. As far as xpacs/eras, thinking about rolling on phinny

I appreciate your expertise
  6. Ryak Augur

Necro, Beastlord, Shaman are probably the strongest overall solo choices. Enchanter is a situational option. If you limit yourself to non-summoners, a number of other classes can kite effectively.
    Illusory likes this.
  7. Illusory Augur

+1

To be honest with you? Roll a class that you're going to enjoy. If you find that you enjoy one of the suggestion solo-friendly classes? All the better, but in my opinion the worst thing you could do is pick a class just because of their ease and hate their mechanics.

For example, the Paladin can be excellent at soloing, but to me it's the most boring class in the game. In my mind, a combination of healing, tanking, and self-righteousness just doesn't work for me.
  8. Kahna Augur

People alway say "play the class you like". Have you ever stopped to think that "play the class you like" is why they are asking the question in the first place?

I like soloing, I am going to ask which class is the strongest soloer and go from there.

I like doing lots and lots of DPS and seeing my name at the top of the parse and always striving to improve my damage output. I will ask on the forums which class does the most DPS and how that DSP holds up over time.

I like tanking, I want to know which of he three tanks is better in X situation because that is the situation I usually find myself in. I will ask on the forums

You know what no one actually does? They never say... "I hate tanking, can't stand it and it makes me want to kick puppies, but tanks get groups so I am going to go on the forums and ask people which of these three classes I don't think I will enjoy playing is the best tank."

So, when you say "play the class you like" you just sound pretentious.
  9. Ckador Augur

Necro. Always Necro.
    Dumbledorf, Superdeath and Felicite like this.
  10. Damezza Augur

Beastlord sounds fun but I'm not sure I want another pet dependent class considering I main a mage/cleric box (when I can 2 box)

how do the play styles of shaman solo vs necro solo compare?
  11. Communist Puppy Augur

Shadowknight.
    Strongest now, and will continue to be the strongest, goes well with everything, and gets even stronger with mercs.
  12. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Shadowknights are extremely gear dependent. A Tacvi/Time geared shadowknights vs a Bazaar geared one is night and day. Whereas a Shaman or Necromancer who mostly root rots, or a Chanter who hides behind a charmed pet, is less reliant on gear.

I wouldn't say SK is the best soloer unless they have access to decent raid gear.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  13. Ckador Augur

Agreed. Even then, they're not even remotely touching a similarly raid-geared Necromancer that knows what they're doing.
  14. Communist Puppy Augur

A similarly geared necro isnt going to be killing group named, muchless anything bigger then that. Necros are restricted solely to mobs who dont summon, SK's can solo top tier named with ease.
  15. Ckador Augur

Guilded with Bads.
  16. Thorondor Augur

Ckador is right on this one. A group geared necro is the most capable of group geared classes at soloing. As AC really starts to develop, eith the advent of cultural + last blood augs, and ac augs from dodh onward, a raid geared necro is undoubtedly the strongest solo content trivializing class in the game. Thats when kiting with a necro isnt even a thing anymore. Just DoT em up and stand there tapping as necessary. Doesnt matter if its named/summons.
    Felicite and Ckador like this.
  17. Communist Puppy Augur

Show me the necro whos solo killing KT/Qvic named without lifeburn.
  18. Thorondor Augur

Why does it have to be without lifeburn? Thats what extebded cooldowns are for, isnt it? Why impose limits? If you want to solo kt/qvic named, pop seventh, lifeburn, armor of experience, staunch...whatever you want/need. Stupid condition to put on it. Are sks not allowed to pop discs when soloing named as well?
    Chatoyan and Ckador like this.
  19. Ckador Augur

Matter of fact, if I remember right, most of/at least half of them are snareable. The easiest ones were the Taelosian models, and the Ikaavs, and the guys with the skull mantles. I haven't solo'ed one of those since 2004/5, back when you actually had to run up from Kod'Taz zoneline (have fun making that run as a SK) because there was no porter NPC. Necros are a lot stronger now than they were back then, too.
    Felicite likes this.
  20. Communist Puppy Augur

Ok, if you want to do that, solo 6 named in a row without medding. Pretty easy for a SK to do, not so much a necro.