Phinny duo...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ionscout, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Ionscout Journeyman

Wife plays a paladin. Im looking at bard or ranger.
    1) As a duo which would be better and why?
    2) as a duo looking for groups which would be better and why?
    3) any tips for the suggested pair?
    4) bard and ranger aside if you had another option what would it be?

Thanks!
  2. Nolrog Augur

IMO, shaman would be really good (heals, buffs, slows). Cleric of course as well.. Then you have pretty much the two hardest classes to get for a group, tank and healing and can add just about anyone else.<BR><BR>Well played bards are great in groups. Love having them.
  3. Semah Augur

Don't you mean...Phinny Duo Trio?
  4. Your_Ad_Here Augur

My main is a Paladin and I box a Cleric. I chose Cleric because Pally really doesn't have the sustainable heals and buffs that will keep it up.

And honestly, a Cleric can hold its own in this game.

If you picked Ranger, that's a hybrid like Paladin, so you'd be getting sub par heals and buffs. A bard could be good, and if you know how to use the /melody macro, you'd be fine. But IMO they are better with casters.

I personally feel you should go with a Cleric or a Shaman, as another poster suggested.
  5. DariyaVika Augur

There's always the enchanter option as well. Clarity, haste, cc, and slows. Also charm pets can be serious dps.
  6. Tyche Elder

Yes, paladin & enchanter is a powerful combo.
  7. Borune Journeyman

Since I'm waiting for Beastlords to open up I went with a Magician/Cleric combo. Pet tank with buffs and cleric heals while mage nukes them down. Worked great for me. Of course the mage will be a casualty when Luclin opens... :)

Having said that if you're wife is playing a Pally tank then I honestly would pair her up with a shaman. Heals and buffs for you and her... slows and DoTs for mobs. Plus a shaman mana pool is recovered fairly well at higher levels - just chew on your leg for a minute or two. ;)
  8. Borune Journeyman

9. Winga Journeyman

Paladins don't make good duos, IMO, because they just don't bring enough dps to the table. Pal + ench is just a weaker version of ench + cler. You could do rogue or enchanter, with the paladin acting as tank and healer, but it still won't compete with exp from a good group. With paladin + enchanter, forming such groups would be a breeze, since you'd just need healer + dps, but you asked about duo.

If you want an OP duo, try enchanter + druid, cleric, or shaman. All can heal, obviously, while shaman can malo, cleric can cheal, and druid can snare, port, and charm animals (chardok ftw).
  10. DariyaVika Augur

Assuming the paladin is non-negotiable, I really think enchanter is the best because of mana regen, haste, slows, and charm pet dps. Paladin can heal between pulls, and with enchanter slow you wont take that much damage
  11. Kutsuu Augur

Paladin DPS isn't nearly as bad here on the TLP servers as it was in original classic nor on P99. Their weapon skills are great, they get triple attack, and lots of very good ratio weapons are available for cheap - such as Reaver at 40/40 (and magic here...) for only 4-5k plat on Phinigel. End-game the 50/39 Tunare weapon is a beast.

IMO, ranger + Paladin will do just fine. Root and snare are powerful CCs and you will learn to use them. Harmony+lull will give you lots of options for pulling singles. You'll have a decent mix of buffs and SoW. Paladin can control caster mobs so no worry about interrupts.

If you did this combo, I would recommend sticking to undead and animals when you are going to grind as a duo. When you're doing undead, paladin tanks and nukes while ranger uses mana to heal paladin. With animals, ranger snares and fears while you both beat the mobs down.
  12. Gremin Augur

Pallies are weak now but they slowly build to be powerhouses just give em time.